clunk clunk

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

telefunkin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I can't figure out what's causing it. It's due for a oil change so I think I'll take it in to be looked at. I still have warranty coverage so hopefully I can get it figured out while I'm still covered. On a side note, I realized today that it is only doing it on dry pavement. We got quite a bit of snow on the roads here and it hasn't done it at all since the snow hit.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was lied to. I went out and jacked up the front and turned the wheel/tire and the CV shaft turned. Why didn't Jeep put in a autolocking hub? WTfudge? More gas mileage, less wear and tear. What were they thinking?
The strongest/least complex setup and like stated little to no effect on mpg if you keep up with the diff fluid changes with the correct for your application gear oil.

If I wasn't using CTM u-joints on the front axles in my HP44 I would use drive slugs(instead of manual locking hubs,which is now my front axle weak point) which is just the same as a stock KJ uses.

candpliberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sigh. :( That was the last time I listen to a salesman at a stealership. peepwall.gif My guard is up when I walk on a showroom floor, more than ever before! I'll read spec sheets with a different mindset! Thanks for setting me straight, everyone!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i notice a bit of brake noise every now and then...mostly from the rear...maybe this is what you are referring to?

is that sound normal btw?

the pads look like they have a fair amount of material left on them, i'm not too worried about it just yet, but will definitely be doing brakes in a few months anyways, so i was gonna check it out then.

moparman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about normal rear end gear lash and the auto trans shifting up as you let off the gas? I get that. Chrysler rear ends have always had a lot of gear lash. (play)

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is the rear end. Sometimes but very rarely (if this is bad let me know) I throw it up into Neutral when coming to a stop at a light. I do this at under 20 MPH while braking. It STILL CLUNKS the exact same way as if it is in drive. I could be wrong, but I say "don't worry about it". Like I said, my '03 did it too. Maybe it is just a certain driving style that puts a "spotlight" on it.

I have on open 8.25 btw.

sharpy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is seems like also the ****** will up shift from 1st to 2nd when not under any load....coasting per say....and cause a littel clunk.

Robsama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same thing on mine from time to time as well. I thought at first maybe it had to do with my ****** fluid. I'm about due for a change and was hoping to put it off until it was a bit warmer so I could do it myself.

Here's when I get it. I'll be driving at a normal speed, say 40MPH. I see a red light ahead so just coast up to it but if it turns green before I get there (and I've slowed to say about 15-20MPH) and I hit the gas *CLUNK* from the rear end. It doesn't happen all the time and I haven't tried to recreate it yet. Maybe I'll give it a shot this weekend to see if I can make it happen under a specific driving condition.