Clicking Noise underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Van

Reaction score
Well I'm new to this thread stuff so I'm gunna give it a shot.

Me and my wife were driving down the road in alaska in my 04 liberty and we lost control and went in the ditch (we were in 4hi). I then proceeded to put it in 4low and drove out but it was extremely difficult terrain under the snow and we bounced around ALOT. Now whenever I'm in 4hi and 4low there is a loud distinct clicking sound that in 4hi starts happening at 25mph and on up and in 4 hi does the same, but makes no noises in 2hi, ive asked some friends and they have told me either a driveshaft, a ujoint, or a cv joint. but i dont wanna take it to a shop just yet cause EVERYTHING is expensive in alaska.

im deploying within the next month so i really need to figure this out and get it fixed for my wife for the rest of winter.

Thanks!

Van

Reaction score
O and when i turn all the way to the left i loose all power in 4hi, but not in 2hi or 4lo and not to the right, idk if that makes a difference

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Inspection on components is needed. Easiest way is to engage 4x4, put it up on hoist and drive it and look/hear for clicking sound to identify exact location of problem. Probably a cv or driveshaft up front. Look at transfer case ensure there are no cracks and that the ATF+4 fluid is topped up by removing the fill plug. New fluid in there every 30k.
Check the CV can for clicking /movement see video and look at boots for cracks.
Some movement is normal, but grease does break down in time or fly out if boots are cracked. It could be just one cv on one side or middle half shaft etc?
Click on photo to see video.
You must be registered for see images attach
"]
You must be registered for see images attach
[/URL]

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
To put it in simpler terms
Check the rear boot of the front driveshaft, boot goes south leaving bearings exposed and it can go bad, easy fix under 100 bucks for parts
Check front CVs for clicking at slow speeds when turning, can sometimes just drive slowly around the parking lot while turning and can hear them
Intermediate shaft also can become rusted to the right side CV, but most times that makes more of a grinding sound and not a clicking
If its a CV then NAPA remans are the way to go, 55-60 bucks with exchange. Autozones etc are known to not be the right size

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
To put it in simpler terms
Check the rear boot of the front driveshaft, boot goes south leaving bearings

My bet would be this. Exact same symptoms mine had before it went out as well. Easy fix.

Van

Reaction score
So if im going to replace the cv joint, what brand is very dependable?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So if im going to replace the cv joint, what brand is very dependable?

Darn could of sworn I posted that in my reply
wait I did :happy175:
NAPA remanned ones

and if its the front driveshaft the Nooby posted up what to get