Clevis lift question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried messing with clevis once and was successful lifting it about 1/4 inch. Now, I'm trying to do it again but I've been prying clevis down with no luck. Mechanically impaired and knowing next to nothing on this area, I'm stuck..

It looks like others do it with lower clevis bolt and sway bar disconnected. Is it necessary? Can i just get clevis bolt loosen and push it down? I was thinking maybe a small bottle jack might fit where lca is, and just push it down using that.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Assuming a lot here but here goes,
I assume you have it jacked up on jack stands
I'm assuming you did disconnect the sway bar and loosened the clevis bolt so it would slid down when you pry
With stock weak springs its pretty easy to move it down ( up to 3/8 on an inch, no more ) It maybe rusted some and take a couple of taps with a hammer to loosen up

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't disconnect the sway bar, and left anything connected to lca untouched. Maybe i should've done that after all. I was hoping i could just loosen clevis bolt and just pry it down. I'm scared to put everything back if i disconnect a lot of things.

I have ome hd springs, had it about 6 months now, and since i have a arms installed a month ago, i was looking to lift it some more. I've heard some people do 1/2 inch clevis lift. Is this dangerous?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't disconnect the sway bar, and left anything connected to lca untouched. Maybe i should've done that after all. I was hoping i could just loosen clevis bolt and just pry it down. I'm scared to put everything back if i disconnect a lot of things.

I have ome hd springs, had it about 6 months now, and since i have a arms installed a month ago, i was looking to lift it some more. I've heard some people do 1/2 inch clevis lift. Is this dangerous?

Ah didn't see having OME springs
1/2 clevis works on Ironman shocks OK, suggest 3/8 with OME. If more is needed then top plates ( 1/4 inch ) will get you another 1/2 inch lift

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
question!

Ah didn't see having OME springs
1/2 clevis works on Ironman shocks OK, suggest 3/8 with OME. If more is needed then top plates ( 1/4 inch ) will get you another 1/2 inch lift

bump and another question...

what if I wanted to go for... let's say more than 1/2 clevis lift instead of getting top plate, so instead of 1/4 plate + 3/8 clevis, make it 5/8 inch clevis lift? would it hurt?

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

what if I wanted to go for... let's say more than 1/2 clevis lift instead of getting top plate, so instead of 1/4 plate + 3/8 clevis, make it 5/8 inch clevis lift? would it hurt?

You shouldn't pull the shock that far out of the clevis - not safe. Remember you get double the lift of the amount of clevis or top plate you add. So a 3/8" clevis lift will give you 3/4" of lift; 1/4" top plate gives you 1/2" lift. So a combined 3/8" clevis and 1/4" top plate will give you 1 1/4" of overall lift.

As Tom said, don't pull the clevis out more than 3/8" with the OME shocks.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

here is what I posted it before

Nothing has changed since, these amounts work due to the length of the part that goes down into the clevis, its not a maybe , or kind of or could I.
Now if you don't care if the bottom of your shock stays in the clevis by all means go for it, err wait what state are you in again, I don't want to be on the road where you are then. :happy175:

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't pull the shock that far out of the clevis - not safe. Remember you get double the lift of the amount of clevis or top plate you add. So a 3/8" clevis lift will give you 3/4" of lift; 1/4" top plate gives you 1/2" lift. So a combined 3/8" clevis and 1/4" top plate will give you 1 1/4" of overall lift.

As Tom said, don't pull the clevis out more than 3/8" with the OME shocks.

Bob

So, it's shocks' length that matters? I actually have bilstein shocks and ome springs.

mikejeepstarternoob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll stick with 3/8 but 1/2 inch sounds so...tempting. I live in Maryland and no offroad whatsoever but I don't want to risk anything either. Driving on streets with potholes are closest to offroading here.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'll stick with 3/8 but 1/2 inch sounds so...tempting. I live in Maryland and no offroad whatsoever but I don't want to risk anything either. Driving on streets with potholes are closest to offroading here.

They take a worse beating on some of the streets than what they do going off road at times
1/2 inch is not tempting if you ever saw a shock pull out of the clevis

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kinda knew what the answer was but had to ask. Will there be enough threads with a custom 1/2" top plate instead of purchasing a 1/4" top plate. Shooting for 1.75" of lift with clevis and top plate. Thanks

Edit: What is the max # of rear iso's I can add. Can I use 3 extra per side?

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I kinda knew what the answer was but had to ask. Will there be enough threads with a custom 1/2" top plate instead of purchasing a 1/4" top plate. Shooting for 1.75" of lift with clevis and top plate. Thanks

There is a reason for using 3/8 inch clevis and 1/4 inch top plate ( although there were some 3/8 inch ones made for a while )
reason is it works best, if there were others ways we all would of been doing it a long time ago

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

only two uppers will fit plus the original one ( so 3 total)
Have you read through the lift threads??

mx3_ryder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
only two uppers will fit plus the original one ( so 3 total)
Have you read through the lift threads??

I have read through alot just sometimes easier to ask then to remember where I read it I guess. :gr_grin: Thanks

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3/8" top plate can be made by anyone with some metal and a torch. I have a set here that are actually 3/16, doubled up (2 each side) for 3/8" total.
3/8" is max for top plate, and 2 extra isolators is max for the top, but rules can be and have been broken.

Members online

No members online now.