Clevis bolts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djta11

Reaction score
So I'm installing my Ironman lift kit and as I got to my last bolt, the lower clevis bolt with the metal tab and the head was rounded.

I used map gas on the nut with a breaker bar and had no luck. I eventually split the nut with acetylene and banged it out.

Called up the jeep dealership to get a new nut and bolt and they tell me it's been discontinued...

Ended up at fastenal and they've ordered me a 150 MM bolt, washer and nut but I'm not sure it'll be right bc I'm not entirely sure what that metal tab was... Is that really a cam bolt?

If so, know of any universal bolt kits I can use?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No not a cam bolt,that metal tab was there so you did not need to hold the bolt while tightening the nut.

Makes sure the bolt/nut you are replacing it with is grade 10.9,grade 8.8 will not be strong enough in that spot.

djta11

Reaction score
No not a cam bolt,that metal tab was there so you did not need to hold the bolt while tightening the nut.

Makes sure the bolt/nut you are replacing it with is grade 10.9,grade 8.8 will not be strong enough in that spot.

Thanks for the pro-tip! I just called and confirmed with Fastenal that the bolt is 10.9 but she said the flanged nut is not.

Would I be OK using a 10.9 (if they make it) nut and washer instead of the flange nut?

When calling up the dealership, I asked for a lower clevis bolt/nut and told me it was a cam bolt and wanted my VIN. Then he told me there were 2 types and mine had been discontinued. That didn't sound right but whatever, I'm dead in the water until I can get another nut...

If I can't use the nut/washer combo, any recommendations as to where I can get one? I'd like to replace everything since I don't have a die to chase the burred threads. Hell, what should I call it so the dealership knows what I'm talking about?!?!

Thanks again for your help!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'd say they were looking up the cam bolt that goes through the sub frame and holds the LCA on. It is a cam bolt.

djta11

Reaction score
I'd say they were looking up the cam bolt that goes through the sub frame and holds the LCA on. It is a cam bolt.

But I do need the lower clevis bolt, right?

Is there another name that they would call what we call the lower clevis bolt?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK searched through what I have as far as parts manuals and repair manual. Repair manual just calls/shows them as lower clevis bolt
sorry for fuzzy pic but only one cup of coffee so far:happy160:
You must be registered for see images attach

djta11

Reaction score
I called my dealership back and asked for the clevis bolt and the kid on the other end said he didn't know what a clevis was... Yes, that's right...

Anyhow, I found the part number for the bolt and was able to figure out the nut. They can't get the bolt until tomorrow and they're not even sure about that but they did have a flanged nut so I grabbed it and will use it on my bolt from Fastenal.

Thanks for your help, guys! I'm sure I'll be back soon...

Latest posts

Members online