Clay bar???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. If you must use scratch compound, do it after you claybar. Your paint will be deepcleaned then.

Just wash it, and let it dry completely. Dont use water as a lubricant, the surfact tension and other properties do NOT make it a good lubricant. Use the supplied detailer. Spray the area down with the detailer, then with little to no pressure, rub the clay bar back and forth. At first you will hear "grating sound" (this is just the clay bar working) then you will hear it less and less until it moves easily over the paint. That section is now cleaned. Keep moving the bar only after paint is totally smooth, lubricating the whole time. take your time, use little to no pressure, and refold the clay often. You will see all the crap that little clay bar will pull off. Its incredible.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
tjkj2002 said:
csukoh78 said:
Tokyojoe1965 said:
csukoh78,

Looks odd with the plastic not shining as much. The shine looks awesome though.

(Aeh) Of course plastic won't shine as much as painted metal... (Aeh)

German cars are designed to be driven in that country, with all the ice, snow, etc of the roads there it doesnt make sense to have the bottom of the car painted. \:D/
Not true,the paint on plastic is the same as the paint on the metal.I know,I painted enough vehicles.

Um, ok......not to get into a ******* contest or anything....but, you don't look at Audi's much lately do you? the plastic is not painted. Its just that the plastic is a similar color to the paint.

Im not seeing it.. All looks the same color to me..

Anyway, the libertys that have the colored flares are painted just like the rest of the Jeep. This is a Jeep forum, not an Audi forum..

I usually piss in the shower.. No folllowing me there so we cannot have a contest. 8-[

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
. This is a Jeep forum, not an Audi forum..

I usually piss in the shower.. No folllowing me there so we cannot have a contest. 8-[[/quote]
===========================================

LOL.................................

Dave

2003KJ

Reaction score
Dave said:
. This is a Jeep forum, not an Audi forum..

I usually piss in the shower.. No folllowing me there so we cannot have a contest. 8-[
===========================================

LOL.................................

Dave

X2.....LMAO!!!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
tjkj2002 said:
csukoh78 said:
Tokyojoe1965 said:
csukoh78,

Looks odd with the plastic not shining as much. The shine looks awesome though.

(Aeh) Of course plastic won't shine as much as painted metal... (Aeh)

German cars are designed to be driven in that country, with all the ice, snow, etc of the roads there it doesnt make sense to have the bottom of the car painted. \:D/
Not true,the paint on plastic is the same as the paint on the metal.I know,I painted enough vehicles.

Um, ok......not to get into a ******* contest or anything....but, you don't look at Audi's much lately do you? the plastic is not painted. Its just that the plastic is a similar color to the paint.
I don't want to get in a ******* contest either or get off topic but I have painted a Audi just like yours and the bumbers are painted with the same paint as the rest of the car,oh by the way all the dang aluminum in that car is a nightmare to replace(unibody) and very expensive. It has to be replaced because you can't straiten it ](*,) .

especko

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tjkj2002 said:
I don't want to get in a ******* contest either or get off topic but I have painted a Audi just like yours and the bumbers are painted with the same paint as the rest of the car,oh by the way all the dang aluminum in that car is a nightmare to replace(unibody) and very expensive. It has to be replaced because you can't straiten it ](*,) .

OK lets settle this once and for all, unfortunately you are not paying attention to what he was saying, and it doesn't matter "how many cars you have painted" he was taking about the very bottom of the front and rear bumpers, along with the sides also, that is all UNPAINTED plastic, look at the darn picture is very clear on the picture which part he is taking about.

I don't mean to be rude or anything, but i have noticed where you have gotten in ******* contests with other members here on the board also, myself being one of them. Just chill out we are not here to argue over stupid things on this board, we are here for talking about kj's and specifically taking about detailing in this area of the forum.

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the backup. I was just offering my experience and knowledge on detailing products...no need to get nasty or anything. Too many people are always looking to argue, seems like to me.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was to buy a clayber, how many times would I be able to use it? Like just one time over the whole truck? Or a couple times?

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can use 1 claybar for two full applications. Just make sure that your car is really clean before you do it, and make SURE that the clay cannot dry out. I recommend a small tupperware dish or heavy duty ziplock.

02LibertyLimitedChick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:
you can use 1 claybar for two full applications. Just make sure that your car is really clean before you do it, and make SURE that the clay cannot dry out. I recommend a small tupperware dish or heavy duty ziplock.

Great thanks! Could I share one claybar for one application on my Liberty, and one on my Aunt's Liberty? Or should I not share one between vehicles?

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
csukoh78 said:

x2.

It really depends on how many bonded contaminates it picks up. If the bar is covered every time you kneed it over, then I would say 2-3times.

I usually spray some Quick Detailer on the bar before I put it away for storage. O:)

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jeepjeepster said:
x2.

It really depends on how many bonded contaminates it picks up. If the bar is covered every time you kneed it over, then I would say 2-3times.

I usually spray some Quick Detailer on the bar before I put it away for storage. O:)

Great suggestion. Just don't use water.

RAYMAN1007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea do not use water. im sure any spray wax quick detailer would work just fine. i tossed my claybar after using it on my jeep twice and my little honda once

fdems

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What about the TURTLE WAX LIQUID " ICE" CLAY BAR... Has anyone tried it, it looks easy to apply and use w/o any worries???

csukoh78

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, I saw that in the store today. They are using the success of ICE for their own product by including that word. Called piggybackin'

As far as a liquid clay bar, it doesn't make any sense, and cannot possibly work as well as a real clay bar. It all comes to mechanical action, whereas a liquid would work by chemical action.

What we know as "clay" is actually a silicate substance with particles so small that their tension bonds it together and increases its plasticity. When you rub this over the surface of paint, the materials constantly rub up and over inbedded particulates, similar to an ocean wave, until they are dislodged, forced into the clay, and removed. The clay works without actually touching the paint (the lubricant forms a super thin viscous layer the clay floats on).

The clays' morphing to the microscopic imperfections in the paint, and removing particles, is what makes it work so well. Its a mechanical action. No liquid can simulate this. A liquid simply softens the clearcoat, making just the biggest bits fall out. It is ineffective against the microparticles that destroy your paint, and is useless against tars, road grime, and other toxins. Its all just a marketing ploy for people (sorry to offend) too lazy to do the elbow grease part of it.

However, it works best with nearly no pressure, just let the clay do the work. you really should just support the clay with your fingertips and keep it from falling. OH, and by the way, if clay EVER hits the ground (of any kind, even "clean floors", throw it away immediately. Trust me.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
It will only work with Windows Media Player link if it is associated.
Do this,
Start, Run, type: wmplayer2
when it opens go to FILE,
OPEN,
and paste below:

mms://wm.vitalstreamcdn.com/meguiars_vitalstream_com/Leno/lenoVideo_smoothsurfaceclay6x4_300.wmv

click OK.
You have to make sure your firewall or program settings do not restrict internet access to the media player (which may have been limited by windows firewall, zone alarm, etc..)