Chiricahua Run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics I have (mostly scenery). I sure had a great time putting my jeep to its greatest challenge yet!
You must be registered for see images attach

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics. Who's the white KJ? And is that a new decal on AJ's?

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that is signcutter (LOST) in the white kj. AJ has pic of the sticker i am sure he will post it

Last edited:

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are the pics I have (mostly scenery). I sure had a great time putting my jeep to its greatest challenge yet!
Robert... nice pictures, that new camera makes a big difference!!!

Nice pics. Who's the white KJ? And is that a new decal on AJ's?
Here ya go... we're now members of JeepKJ Country "got groceries?" Arizona Chapter...

You must be registered for see images

Last edited:

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We had a great time, this turned out really well (except we missed o8k!). Besides us we had AZKJ and copilot, Signcutter21 and copilot, and M&P40. The agenda was pretty loose, using four trails from the Massey & Wilson book in the Chiricahuas (South #20 through 23) as a starting point.

We did the Hands Pass trail in its entirety, including the side trip up to the Kasper Tunnel. The tunnel is still in good shape, it's about half a mile long or more, with ventilation shafts every so often. It connected the two halves of the old town of Hilltop, although no traces of the town remain on the western side.

Hands Pass was quite a challenge, and special commendations to AZKJ for getting a stock Libby through it:

We did our part for trail cleanup by moving this downed tree further off the road - M&P40 gets to use his winch for the first time, and Signcutter21 shows he is prepared by bringing a nice new sharp axe:

Signcutter21 comes up a particularly steep bank out of the wash:

Towards the end of Hands Pass we noticed this mountain with a nice road leading up it:

This mountain turns out to be Harris Mountain, and it has a very steep road with switchbacks running up it (which we found after a wrong turn by me :eek: ). At the top was a friendly guy building an observatory (for someone else). You can't really tell from this picture, but there was very little room to turn around at the top:

Signcutter21 brought his Jeepin Dog, appropriately named Jeep:

We worked our way down through Paradise back to Pinery Canyon Road, and went back north to Forest Road 42, which brings you to the Barfoot Park trail. This trail was not quite as difficult as Hands Pass, but it was a handful. Along the way there was this downed tree, too long to move without cutting up:

There was a bypass around the tree, but Signcutter21 decided to try it. He was okay until his front tire slipped off the log it's about to come down on in the above picture, at which point he got hung up on the engine skid with one front wheel over the log, and the other behind it. But he did find us a great place to relax and sit in the cool piney woods:

The Massey & Wilson book says that the Barfoot Park trail comes to a washout at Pine Creek. They say that "experienced drivers in modified rigs may wish to continue along the forest road", and they call the washout an "extremely challenging section". It's pretty washed out, with two-three foot diameter rocks strewn about and about a five foot near vertical far bank. We just turned around and came out the way we came in.

The obligatory lineup:

We didn't get to the Pine Canyon Road at all, and I still want to do that sometime.

Thanks y'all!

Oh, and we totally forgot to re-aim M&P40's headlights.

Russ & Mary

Last edited:

M&P40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, and we totally forgot to re-aim M&P40's headlights.

Russ & Mary

as plenty of people were quite willing to flash me to let me know ;)

i got them adjusted this morning.

thanks again for throwing together and hosting such a great trip

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really sad i missed the trip, wanted to go, looked like quite an adventure! i was super pooped from the work week and didnt wanna fall sleep at wheel tryin to get down there. im up in denver now for work for the week, rented a gasser libby its kinda nice to have the same sorta vehicle. so hello got groceries az chapter and ill see yall when i get back. and the burning question.... whats next fellas? :D

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so hello got groceries az chapter and ill see yall when i get back. and the burning question.... whats next fellas? :D

I think I am retiring until the LOST Crown King Trick or Jeep run next month (*still* have to make drawers for the bathroom cabinet).

I still have two "got groceries" stickers, you're more than welcome to one. Maybe desertkj wants the other?

o8k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ya i think i would, save one fer me =D por favor

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I am retiring until the LOST Crown King Trick or Jeep run next month (*still* have to make drawers for the bathroom cabinet).

I still have two "got groceries" stickers, you're more than welcome to one. Maybe desertkj wants the other?

Definitely! I would love that, especially since the rumor is that my Jeep may be getting lifted in the fall.... :D

rkeegstra

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely! I would love that, especially since the rumor is that my Jeep may be getting lifted in the fall.... :D

Dude! We'll have to find a suitable trail to break it in!

Okay, I am holding stickers for next time I see you guys.

indieaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife saw me looking at these pics...

wife: "How come we never go on these trips?"
me: "We're always out of town or doing home projects, remember?" :rolleyes:

Hopefully in a couple months i'll have the funds to do my lift and tire upgrade.

Right now we don't even have a spare tire (blew it in Colroado last month). So no trails for us until we get a new set of tires. I'm not wasting money replacing a single spare when i expect to be ugprading to new tires+wheels in like 8-10 weeks.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wife saw me looking at these pics...

wife: "How come we never go on these trips?"
me: "We're always out of town or doing home projects, remember?" :rolleyes:

Hopefully in a couple months i'll have the funds to do my lift and tire upgrade.

Right now we don't even have a spare tire (blew it in Colroado last month). So no trails for us until we get a new set of tires. I'm not wasting money replacing a single spare when i expect to be ugprading to new tires+wheels in like 8-10 weeks.
You'd be suprised what a stock KJ can do, so join up with us and get your feet wet. You can swing by a tire shop and see if you can find a used spare at a cheap price to hold you over till you get your lift and better tires....

How about posting a thread of your Colorado pictures....