New to the group, but I've had a KK Liberty since 2008

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Howdy! I have a 2008 Liberty that I bought new in 2008. It has over 250,000 miles, mostly highway, as I used to work on the road. It's been great in the snow Michigan winters. I've also taken it on some 2 tracks (or "Seasonal Roads," as they as they are sometimes called here in Michigan.)

I love my Liberty and had very few problems with the beast, but it is getting long in the tooth. Keeping it running is a challenge, especially for a non-mechanic like me.

While I may not be a mechanic, I OK at researching. When I found out my Liberty had fuel tank skid plate was rusting out--and they're apparently as scarce as hen's teeth, I found the site really useful in researching the problem. Unbelieveably, my research also found a used skid plate with almost no rust for $ 82.50 with tax! Car-part.com and a little patience are useful tools. Now, to find someone to install it. :cool:

Anyway, when I post I'll probably be posting questions how to keep my Liberty running, as I do love the beast.

Allow me to wish everyone a hearty hello and hope everyone has a pleasant day.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. Do you have any photos of your Jeep? We like Jeep pics!

Reaction score
I'm bit paranoid about my privacy, having been stalked a few times due to my profession, so I tend to be somewhat caution about giving out too much information at times. (Just what every guy wants, sociopathic criminal stalkers.) However, here's a favorite photo--the odometer hitting 200,000. :)
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
somewhere between London & Zunny Deb'n (England)
2008? I can't imagine ever having, or wanting, anything that new!

If, as I'd imagine, replacing the skid plate is a simple nut & bolt job, it's hardly a job requiring a mechanic (or any experience, expertise or know-how - & precious little in the way of tools). Go on, give it a try, you'll be glad you did &, who knows, you might surprise yourself.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy! I have a 2008 Liberty that I bought new in 2008. It has over 250,000 miles, mostly highway, as I used to work on the road. It's been great in the snow Michigan winters. I've also taken it on some 2 tracks (or "Seasonal Roads," as they as they are sometimes called here in Michigan.)

I love my Liberty and had very few problems with the beast, but it is getting long in the tooth. Keeping it running is a challenge, especially for a non-mechanic like me.

While I may not be a mechanic, I OK at researching. When I found out my Liberty had fuel tank skid plate was rusting out--and they're apparently as scarce as hen's teeth, I found the site really useful in researching the problem. Unbelieveably, my research also found a used skid plate with almost no rust for $ 82.50 with tax! Car-part.com and a little patience are useful tools. Now, to find someone to install it. :cool:

Anyway, when I post I'll probably be posting questions how to keep my Liberty running, as I do love the beast.

Allow me to wish everyone a hearty hello and hope everyone has a pleasant day.
Used fuel tank skid plates are still easy to find. It’s the transmission plate that’s rare. I just put a fuel tank plate in. It was only difficult because I had to pull the trailer hitch. That thing is heavy. I had three jacks to move things in place. It would have been too much for this old man otherwise.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2008? I can't imagine ever having, or wanting, anything that new!

If, as I'd imagine, replacing the skid plate is a simple nut & bolt job, it's hardly a job requiring a mechanic (or any experience, expertise or know-how - & precious little in the way of tools). Go on, give it a try, you'll be glad you did &, who knows, you might surprise yourself.
Wife's VW is a 2014 1.6tdi, horrible thing to work on.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KJ's are hardly fun.
They aren't bad, try doing a cam and oil pump chain on a Nissan Qashqai! Now that's a S@@# job! I quite like working on the KJ, it's like a nice comfortable version of a Land-rover! Don't know what the petrol is like but the diesel has a reasonable amount of room around the engine.
My wife keeps mentioning Range Rovers... horrible things to work on with more than its fair share of expensive regular faults.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They aren't bad, try doing a cam and oil pump chain on a Nissan Qashqai! Now that's a S@@# job! I quite like working on the KJ, it's like a nice comfortable version of a Land-rover! Don't know what the petrol is like but the diesel has a reasonable amount of room around the engine.
My wife keeps mentioning Range Rovers... horrible things to work on with more than its fair share of expensive regular faults.
I'm with you on this. I've got a Nissan Juke in the fleet. The serpentine belt took nearly an hour to get it done. And oh what a joy was putting in a trans cooler on that piece of solid waste.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they're not bad - they are absolutely terrible. Everything takes anything up to 10 times as long as it should, i.e. as the same job on an XJ. There are very few job on or around the engine that don't require some disassembly; I had to consult the manual to locate the oil filter &even the, if it hadn't been white, I'm not sure I'd have found it.

I used to do a fair amount of work on Jaguars, which can be challenging (especially the V12's) but always rewarded you with a sense of achievement. No so the KJ, best I can hope for is a sense of relief.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they're not bad - they are absolutely terrible. Everything takes anything up to 10 times as long as it should, i.e. as the same job on an XJ. There are very few job on or around the engine that don't require some disassembly; I had to consult the manual to locate the oil filter &even the, if it hadn't been white, I'm not sure I'd have found it.

I used to do a fair amount of work on Jaguars, which can be challenging (especially the V12's) but always rewarded you with a sense of achievement. No so the KJ, best I can hope for is a sense of relief.
I imagine down the road you'll own another vehicle and long for the ease of working on the kj again. I'm not saying everything is super easy and accessible, but there are vehicles that are far worse.

Deb'nKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lots of vehicles have particular jobs that are a PITA but as everything on a KJ (except brake pads & the rear shox) falls into that category (& often for no good reason) I can't believe anything could possibly be far worse. In any event it won't bother me 'cos I won't make that mistake. Any future purchases will be older & bigger, thereby eliminating the cause of most of the problems.