Changing Trans filter - quick answer would be great

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boiler

Reaction score
I rember seeing this with my new filter from mopar for the 45RFE engine, my transmission is the 2002

CAUTION: The primary oil filter seal MUST be fully
installed flush against the oil pump body. DO NOT
install the seal onto the filter neck and attempt to
install the filter and seal as an assembly. Damage to
the transmission will result.

I've got a 42RLE. The filter comes with an O'ring. What I've done is insert the o'ring up into the cavity, it seats nicely. Then I put the filter up there and at first I was trying like hell to get the filter tube to go INTO the o'ring, but I'm pretty sure you can't get it in. So now it is bolted up to the correct torque, sits firm and flat against the trans. I believe that the O'ring is just up against the front edge of the tube, is that correct? If not, what should I be doing here....

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it correct. That is the way I did it. Just make sure you remove the old o-ring before putting the new one in. That is all there is to it.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have it correct. That is the way I did it. Just make sure you remove the old o-ring before putting the new one in. That is all there is to it.

Ditto
Sound like you did it right

And thanks again Longtall Texan