Changing the gears.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to find a how to on changing out the gears or putting in a locker but I have been unsuccessful. Can someone steer me in the right direction? It doesn't look too hard but a How To would help me decide for sure. Also If I was to head to the junkyard looking for 4.10 gears that work what vehicles should I look for?

jwheeles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe there is quite a bit of setup involved with changing gears and putting in a locker. I've never done it before but have read a lot about it. If the backlash isn't set right it will eat of the gears. I just had gears and a TruTrac unit put in mine. (About a month ago.) I know I don't have what is needed to do the job myself.

My two cents worth!

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front and rear gear must match. To get 4.10 gears for the d30a front you can go to a junkyard and find a 2.4L Liberty or they have them here.

You can get 4.10 gears just about anywhere for the rear. Make sure its for the chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines.

Any particular locker your are looking for. LOST has some how-to's check the tech section. Arb air lockers and detroit truetrac lsd are the most popular for the KJ.

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your front and rear gear must match. To get 4.10 gears for the d30a front you can go to a junkyard and find a 2.4L Liberty or they have them here.

You can get 4.10 gears just about anywhere for the rear. Make sure its for the chrysler 8.25 with 29 splines.

Any particular locker your are looking for. LOST has some how-to's check the tech section. Arb air lockers and detroit truetrac lsd are the most popular for the KJ.

Anyone have a sampling of vehicles with the 8.25 29 spline 4.10 so I can hit up a junkyard later. For lockers I was looking at the ARB Rear and either DTT or ARB front.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure if any other vehicles have the 29 splined 8.25, i know the XJ had the 27 splines. Better just to get them new.

I would get arb rear and dtt front.

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah..that an error. Nobody makes a gear set for the Liberty front axle. Only Mopar that came off of a 2.4L. Plus the rear axle only goes up to 4.56 (..or was it 4.88??).

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did a little Google research and found that "allegedly" a 99 I4 XJ has what I need. I will get them new though.
Based off of what can use ARB RD93 the 1997-2000 Wrangler, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee have the 29 spline 8.25.

Based on that info I found these.
Don't go used on the gears,big waste of time and money unless you get them free and know the owner and mileage/use.New gear sets are not that pricy and you'll be better off in the long run,don't forget the master install kits for all new bearings,seals,and ring gear bolts,a must for a long lasting gear set(not to mention proper gear breakin and a good installer).

LibertyOrDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I found a good reason to get them new. There was a 2000 Cherokee broken down on US101 while going through town. There was a nice big puddle of stinky brown under his rear end. After I introduced the guy to 4 Low, we got him out of the street I looked under the Jeep. I saw the end of the pinion sticking through the diff cover and a nice hole from the pinion through the front of the diff. I will absolutely do it right and use brand new everything. Probably even get a new diff cover with a drain hole.