Changing CV’s with JBA lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone here besides me have a KK with a JBA adjust a strut lift kit?

If so, have you ever had to change CV axles? On a stock suspension or an OME lift for example, you’d unbolt the clevis at the bottom of the spring/shock assembly, then slide the CV out. On my KK JBA lift, the clevis fork is part of the strut unit and does not come apart separately:

You must be registered for see images attach

I am thinking to change a CV I would have to unbolt the adjust a strut at the top plate. Or does the strut hinge on the top plate and swing up out if the way, letting you pull the CV?

Thanks in advance if anyone here still has a JBA lift kit.

PS. The drivers side CV which is original and has 205,000 miles on it may be starting to make noise. 145,000 of those miles have been with a 4 inch lift. Don’t let anyone tell you a 2.5 inch lift will stress out your CV’s.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pull the shock at the top plate after removing the clevis on my kj with OME and 1/4 inch top plate just to get a clear shot. It's not hard to do an insures Ican put the axle in straight without stressing the boot or seal. It does seem you may be able to swing those out of the way though.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I could never just swing it out of the way enough
Always had to adjust the coils back up with the spanners and then go that way
PITA but only way I found that really worked in the end

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I was wondering what the logistics of that repair would be. I didn’t hear any CV noise today, so maybe it was my imagination. Fingers crossed.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well… I hear a click/tap noise from the left front wheel area that changes with acceleration, and I can slightly feel it in the floor now. Not good news.

I just did the brakes, so the noise is not from them. The wheel bearing is only 2 years old. I suspect that 2007-era CV axle is the culprit.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't be to sure with the wheel bearing, my wife's Nissan had one of the originals fail at 140,000 so I put a replacement on, around a year later bearing noise returned.... eBay aftermarket bearing. I put an SKF on and it ran until we got rid of the car at 170,000 + miles.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't be to sure with the wheel bearing, my wife's Nissan had one of the originals fail at 140,000 so I put a replacement on, around a year later bearing noise returned.... eBay aftermarket bearing. I put an SKF on and it ran until we got rid of the car at 170,000 + miles.
I would agree, except that I used a Mopar wheel bearing when I did that repair two years ago. I suppose it could still fail though.

Latest posts

Members online