Change your oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeper4life

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always set the liberty's trip to kinda keep track of miles, but sometimes it ends up getting changed sooner, the YJ I just go by color...

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You shouldn't be if your using a quality oil. 5000 miles between changes on my '02 3.7L Liberty and '09 5.3L GMC with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic & Mobil 1 filters.

Castrol Syntec 5w30

bjs2063

Reaction score
I don't believe the story. I personally have run a VW I owned at 10K oil changes per manufacturers recommendations. I had to replace the heads at 102,000 miles. Not due to a lubrication failure but due to a dealer screwup with a timing belt change. The engine looked like it was new except for some carbon on the pistons. Very few manufacturers recommend 3K mile oil change intervals anymore.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe the story. I personally have run a VW I owned at 10K oil changes per manufacturers recommendations. I had to replace the heads at 102,000 miles. Not due to a lubrication failure but due to a dealer screwup with a timing belt change. The engine looked like it was new except for some carbon on the pistons. Very few manufacturers recommend 3K mile oil change intervals anymore.
Oil burners are a whole different ballgame,and yes many still recommend 3k OCI's.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I never pay any attention to what the maker says
I know what works for me and the way I use my vehicles
3000 mile oil changes and replacing spark plugs every 20-25,000 miles is just good cheap insurance in my book.
PLUS I also completely go all over mine then checking everything out to make sure all is OK. ( do that normally at least once a week anyways but then I'm **** about not having breakdowns)
My last 6 vehicles I bought new all ran up into the 240,000-275,000 mile range with no problems before I sold them.
Have to laugh at the people who " brag " about not doing oil changes/ plug changes and general maintenance :favorites68:

enkeivette

Reaction score
Looks like castrol syntec is crap. Stick with Mobil 1, if not redline or royal purple.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please share,you'd be the only one to actually have this "proof" to causing more wear.Being a waste is far from the truth also,I'd rather spend my $25 every 3k then have to buy a $5000 engine.You can do alot of oil changes for $5000.

I was trying to find the article yesterday...but essentially, the tests performed were indicating that fresh oil would cause faster wear until "broken in." So by the time the oil was breaking in, and before it's maximum useful life was reached, it was being changed again. So if you changed it every 3K, you could potentially be causing faster wear.

I'll keep looking and post it if I find it.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the reference to the oil study I was referring to.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

"While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test! "

"In case it isn't obvious yet, this means that the most wear occurs in the first 3,000 miles."

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's the reference to the oil study I was referring to.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/stories/mobil1.html

"While the wear metals all accumulated steadily over the course of the test, the highest concentrations of accumulation per mile occurred in the first 3,000 miles of the test! "

"In case it isn't obvious yet, this means that the most wear occurs in the first 3,000 miles."
Yeah holes can be blown in that article.New oil has nothing to do with what there seeing as wear,it's the natural engine break in that sometimes can take a long time on some engines so naturally the longer you gop the less wear metals will be found in the oil.

You can never actually test if 3k oil changes are harmful,it would be inpossible since there is a billion variables at play,even in identical engines.

bjs2063

Reaction score
I'm not aware of any OEM's recommending 3K mile oil changes, except for extreme use conditions. It is wasteful to change the oil that often. I change most of my vehicles at 5k mile intervals because its easy to remember. Or I change it at 6 months, which ever happens first.

I usually get over 200k miles before I sell my vehicles, and have never had an engine failure from oil issues.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah holes can be blown in that article.New oil has nothing to do with what there seeing as wear,it's the natural engine break in that sometimes can take a long time on some engines so naturally the longer you gop the less wear metals will be found in the oil.

You can never actually test if 3k oil changes are harmful,it would be inpossible since there is a billion variables at play,even in identical engines.

Yeah, I found the Amsoil test, and they hypothesized that the engine break in period may have been a factor with the increased wear at the onset. Supposedly they re-tested with Mobil 1, but I can't find that part of the study.

However, they went 18K miles on one oil change (full syn), with a filter change done about halfway through!!!!!

Um yeah..3K mile OCI's??? I don't think so.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I found the Amsoil test, and they hypothesized that the engine break in period may have been a factor with the increased wear at the onset. Supposedly they re-tested with Mobil 1, but I can't find that part of the study.

However, they went 18K miles on one oil change (full syn), with a filter change done about halfway through!!!!!

Um yeah..3K mile OCI's??? I don't think so.
Amsoil is the biggest joke.

If you google it(I know it's out there) there is a report that states that over 90% of all ASE Master Tech's recommend 3k OCI's,I'm one of those 90% also.It takes alot of experiance to get that Master Tech so there not dumb and get to see the end result of longer OCI's on a daily basis on a broad spectrum of vehicles.

I know one big fleet(about 1 million vehicles or so) that do not change there oil either,they just need to change engine every 10k or so.I know I worked on this fleet for 10 years and never changed the oil on any vehicle but my contact truck but sure replaced alot of engines.Actually to think about it my contact truck(M1097A2) was the only vehicle in my battalion when I was in Afganistan that did not require a new engine at some point in that year long tour,though I did change the oil every 2 weeks and a new air filter everyday.Put 100,000 miles on my contact truck that year with only 2 failures,1 lower balljoint and 1 brake line.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not aware of any OEM's recommending 3K mile oil changes, except for extreme use conditions. It is wasteful to change the oil that often. I change most of my vehicles at 5k mile intervals because its easy to remember. Or I change it at 6 months, which ever happens first.

I usually get over 200k miles before I sell my vehicles, and have never had an engine failure from oil issues.

Never ever driven on constantly dusty roads??? Jeep recomends air filter change every 12-15k...In my situation going beyond 5-6k is asking for trouble!

Sand and dust DO pass through any air filter ( tommudd surely knows....) and guess where will they be ending !!! Yeah , oil.

I was a fan of long OCIs, never again! Anyway, that said, with no dusty conditions and few short trips, then yes, one could go 5k on dino but then..change it!
Europeans do long OCIs, but over there a 150k engine is considered 'worn out'!!! Guess why...

PS : BP won't like it, but... I stopped using Castrol and sold out my stash. Now any dino, SL or SM and 3/3.5k changes.

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you google it(I know it's out there) there is a report that states that over 90% of all ASE Master Tech's recommend 3k OCI's,I'm one of those 90% also.It takes alot of experiance to get that Master Tech so there not dumb and get to see the end result of longer OCI's on a daily basis on a broad spectrum of vehicles.

That's certainly goes beyond what you can readily find out, that 3K OCI is a waste. Even the Auto manufactures tell you different ... :hmm:

I could certainly see it under extreme conditions but 5k OCI under normal driving conditions isn't going to cause a premature engine failure.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Amsoil is the biggest joke.

Sorry, to clarify, that same site I referenced also tried using Amsoil for an extended trial. I have seen the sites you mention regarding Amsoil being a joke, and was in no way advocating the use of it.

And just playing devil's advocate here, but it makes sense why Master Techs recommend 3K mile OCI's.....that is money in their pockets. If they started advocating 5K OCI's, then their oil-change sales would drop, business would drop, and that would be that many less visits during which to "upsell" a customer on a service.

It would take a thorough test performed by a completely non-biased group of people, with no censoring of data, to convince me that 3K OCI's are necessary. From what I've seen on the internet, there are independent researches performed by many individuals who have had a used oil analysis performed that indicates 3K mile OCI's are unnecessary and wasteful.

While I certainly appreciate your point of view, and take all information I read into consideration (and sometimes with a grain of salt :) ), I take it upon myself to make an educated and informed opinion in regards to what OCI works for me.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, to clarify, that same site I referenced also tried using Amsoil for an extended trial. I have seen the sites you mention regarding Amsoil being a joke, and was in no way advocating the use of it.

And just playing devil's advocate here, but it makes sense why Master Techs recommend 3K mile OCI's.....that is money in their pockets. If they started advocating 5K OCI's, then their oil-change sales would drop, business would drop, and that would be that many less visits during which to "upsell" a customer on a service.

It would take a thorough test performed by a completely non-biased group of people, with no censoring of data, to convince me that 3K OCI's are necessary. From what I've seen on the internet, there are independent researches performed by many individuals who have had a used oil analysis performed that indicates 3K mile OCI's are unnecessary and wasteful.

While I certainly appreciate your point of view, and take all information I read into consideration (and sometimes with a grain of salt :) ), I take it upon myself to make an educated and informed opinion in regards to what OCI works for me.
Master Techs normally never do oil changes so there not increasing there paycheck at all by advising 3k OCI's due to there higher pay and skill is wasted on doing oil changes.

I'm a Master Tech and rarely ever do a oil change,the shop I work at looses money if I do a oil change.There are times I do oil changes but normally with other high paying jobs like intake gaskets jobs and such.