Change your oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
There is a reason why manufactures recommend oil & filter changes every 3,500 miles.
Sludge is only funny when it happens to someone else!:icon_twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9RttyUQiws
Use a quality oil & filter!
I guess this man thought he was saving lots by not doing his oil changes!:Bye:

Not to go off topic, but the guy on the right looked like Chris Farley...

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what happens when oil and coolant mix. SLUDGE.

I've been using a very high quality parasynthetic oil since the early 90's, and change oil and filter once a year. That currently means about 7k miles on each of our daily drivers. I have run 10k per vehicle per year in the past.

Last year I changed the valve cover gaskets on our 96 Intrepid 3.5, which has run this oil since my wife bought it in 2000. The valve train was absolutely spotless. I have no doubt that it's cleaner now than when she bought it.

I don't know much about Syntec, other than it's a Group III. Most sludge is caused by coolant leaks into the oil, or OCIs much longer than what the owner admits to.

Bottom line, each person should do what they believe in, because this is a topic filled with so much opinion. If you've got an oil and an OCI that is working for you, stick with it!

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'm glad you said it first...cuz I've been thinking about this...and to be quite honest, I can't say without a reasonable doubt that the mess you see in the pictures posted was actually a result of his head gasket leaking coolant into the oil, rather than running extended OCI's.

I don't have much experience tearing down motors, but what I see is chocolate pudding...which is what you get when coolant and oil mix....not sludge, which is usually caused by a breakdown of the oil due to excessive wear and heat.

I guess what I'm really asking is....is the mess in the picture actually a result of extended OCI's, or is it due to the gasket leak? That's a big difference.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why they market their oils to last that long (other than to make the almighty dollar). I'm know the oils have to be run through tests to avoid the false advertising lawsuits, etc... but looking at photos like Troy has posted makes me wonder how they get away with stuff like that.

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance oil that advertises 15,000 miles between changes. I'll never go to that extent... even the thought of 7-10K between oil changes freaks me out a little. But why claim that if it's going to leave the engine the goopy mess like in the photos?

If it's got to do with profit, wouldn't the manufacturers benefit more by claiming a lower mileage between oil changes? More frequent changes = more oil/filters purchased.

I'm goin' 4k between oil changes. Now I'm gettin' nervous about even that.

Clyde Frog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why they market their oils to last that long (other than to make the almighty dollar). I'm know the oils have to be run through tests to avoid the false advertising lawsuits, etc... but looking at photos like Troy has posted makes me wonder how they get away with stuff like that.

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance oil that advertises 15,000 miles between changes. I'll never go to that extent... even the thought of 7-10K between oil changes freaks me out a little. But why claim that if it's going to leave the engine the goopy mess like in the photos?

If it's got to do with profit, wouldn't the manufacturers benefit more by claiming a lower mileage between oil changes? More frequent changes = more oil/filters purchased.

Because the thought of actually having to maintain one's own vehicle freaks the average consumer out. They want the product that says it will last the longest but bears the cheapest price.

Convenience, convenience, convenience!

Last edited:

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why do you think the head gasket went lack of what? If you want it to last take care of it.
3 months or 3 thousand I cant drive it if its over. So its like sooner to me and I like the way it runs after an oil change. I think of all those moving parts. I must stop thinking of this. I must stop thinking of this. I must stop thinking of this. think of the temps the new motors runs at I must stop. I must stop.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After 100k miles on those 10k OCI's those engines will look the same inside and VW/Audi will reverse there recommendations.

I was going to say that VW says 10K
I go 5 because I know that if you run oil through the turbo it gets a little hot
and I also know that 6,000rpm does way more damage than 3,000rpm

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've been using a very high quality parasynthetic oil since the early 90's, and change oil and filter once a year. That currently means about 7k miles on each of our daily drivers. I have run 10k per vehicle per year in the past.

Last year I changed the valve cover gaskets on our 96 Intrepid 3.5, which has run this oil since my wife bought it in 2000. The valve train was absolutely spotless. I have no doubt that it's cleaner now than when she bought it.

I don't know much about Syntec, other than it's a Group III. Most sludge is caused by coolant leaks into the oil, or OCIs much longer than what the owner admits to.

Bottom line, each person should do what they believe in, because this is a topic filled with so much opinion. If you've got an oil and an OCI that is working for you, stick with it!

I'm glad you said it first...cuz I've been thinking about this...and to be quite honest, I can't say without a reasonable doubt that the mess you see in the pictures posted was actually a result of his head gasket leaking coolant into the oil, rather than running extended OCI's.

I don't have much experience tearing down motors, but what I see is chocolate pudding...which is what you get when coolant and oil mix....not sludge, which is usually caused by a breakdown of the oil due to excessive wear and heat.

I guess what I'm really asking is....is the mess in the picture actually a result of extended OCI's, or is it due to the gasket leak? That's a big difference.
Yes coolant in the oil will build sludge,but not that bad in a short time.His engine was not leaking coolant for very long,there are tell tale signs you can use to determine how long those lower intake gaskets have been leaking,done enough of them to know.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why do you think the head gasket went lack of what?

I've had them go in 20K miles due to poor design and materials. So to say head gaskets failing is directly a result of running extended OCI's is false....however...I will agree that an extended OCI could have caused sludge, which caused excessive heat and wear, which then caused a head gasket to go. I guess it's just inconclusive to me what happened here. I'm not questioning that it can happen.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes coolant in the oil will build sludge,but not that bad in a short time.His engine was not leaking coolant for very long,there are tell tale signs you can use to determine how long those lower intake gaskets have been leaking,done enough of them to know.

Yeah, like I said...this isn't my area of expertise...I was just curious what caused what.

loves_off_roading

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DANG!!!! I know there is some sludge in my engine because the previous owner didn't take care of it. But I'm sure mine doesn't look that bad. I hope. Been changing my oil every 3,000-4,000 miles since I bought it.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
If you keep your oil clean and change it withing 3500 miles, you should never see sludge with quality oil. With one gallon of coolant pouring in, it must have been like the bat mobile's smoke screen. I wonder how long they drove it for with this condition?
I would have parked and towed it on the spot. I bet he drove it in.
I am sure there were signs initially of bubbles/water on the dipstick.
This customer definitely was not....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had them go in 20K miles due to poor design and materials. So to say head gaskets failing is directly a result of running extended OCI's is false....however...I will agree that an extended OCI could have caused sludge, which caused excessive heat and wear, which then caused a head gasket to go. I guess it's just inconclusive to me what happened here. I'm not questioning that it can happen.

True and the converse v6 is well known to have intake leaks or blown head gaskets. ( the rear head holds a lot of heat) So all the more so to keep up with the pms and not drive it till it is fixed. I have done many that were not as bad as that. The early Aztec was well known for this.
I bet Tjkj knows this as well and has done others that did no look like this and as he took this one apart. I would say rear intake outer water jackets left side more so?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you keep your oil clean and change it withing 3500 miles, you should never see sludge with quality oil. With one gallon of coolant pouring in, it must have been like the bat mobile's smoke screen. I wonder how long they drove it for with this condition?
I would have parked and towed it on the spot. I bet he drove it in.
I am sure there were signs initially of bubbles/water on the dipstick.
This customer definitely was not....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj5ms9PJDNY
No coolant was entering the engine,yet,it was all leaking out the F/R valley areas that use RTV to seal it and the outside edges of the intakes gaskets were the water jackets are.

gnp.hiker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm goin' 4k between oil changes. Now I'm gettin' nervous about even that.

You shouldn't be if your using a quality oil. 5000 miles between changes on my '02 3.7L Liberty and '09 5.3L GMC with Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic & Mobil 1 filters.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Meh...I'm running 5K mile OCI on my 3.7 with dino oil. Quite frankly, I've seen evidence that proves changing your oil every 3K is a waste, and actually causes more wear. However, I wouldn't dream of running dino oil 10K miles...and would even balk at running a full syn that long. I'd have to do some extensive testing (oil analysis over regular intervals, and for a recurring amount of time) that would show beyond a doubt that it is OK to run that long. However, what may work for one motor won't necessarily work for the other....so to be honest, you would have to test each vehicle to make sure the schedule and regimen that you choose is acceptable.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen evidence that proves changing your oil every 3K is a waste, and actually causes more wear.
Please share,you'd be the only one to actually have this "proof" to causing more wear.Being a waste is far from the truth also,I'd rather spend my $25 every 3k then have to buy a $5000 engine.You can do alot of oil changes for $5000.

desync0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many semi's go 200,000mi on oil changes! But that's with oil sampling and by-pass filtration lol Actually even without a by-pass filter, many still go 25k+ just with sampling.

I've always changed mine about 3 times a year, and before any big road trips, and never had a problem, but I only drive about 15,000km a year. I couldn't imagine going as long as that guy did.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many semi's go 200,000mi on oil changes! But that's with oil sampling and by-pass filtration lol Actually even without a by-pass filter, many still go 25k+ just with sampling.

I've always changed mine about 3 times a year, and before any big road trips, and never had a problem, but I only drive about 15,000km a year. I couldn't imagine going as long as that guy did.
Yeah and 5-10 gallons of oil with a 1 gallon oil filter is a bit different then 4-5 qts of oil and a 1/2 qt filter.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
128,000 K on that POS engine is doing well. The 2.8/3.1 are well-known junkers. That sludge is likely due to contamination, anyway.

Last edited: