Change your oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What 12 oil changes at 10,000 mile intervals does in a GM 3.1 V6,oh and that is Castrol syntec for the last 11 oil changes.Now the guy either has to junk it or rebuild the engine(or used/remaned).

spacer.gif
You must be registered for see images attach

spacer.gif

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Holy crap............looks like a chocolate factory in there.

Dave

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder exactly how poorly that engine ran.

Thanks for posting those pics. I'm going to immediately check and see when I last replaced my engine oil & filter. It's a cheap insurance against an expensive rebuild/replacement isn't?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just checked mine too. I have approx 2,700 miles since my last change. I was going to change the oil/filter/pcv this month anyway before the weather gets real cold. That way I can run it until spring. Winter here is ******* engines.

I don't care how good of oil/filter you are using, 10,000 mile changes is stupid.

Dave

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WOW!!! Thanks for sharing...I've never personally seen what sludge buildup looks like (other than the infomercials on TV.)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to wonder exactly how poorly that engine ran.

Thanks for posting those pics. I'm going to immediately check and see when I last replaced my engine oil & filter. It's a cheap insurance against an expensive rebuild/replacement isn't?
Besides hemorrhaging coolant at about 1 gallon per min it actually ran pretty good,about what you'd expect a 128,000mile engine to run like.That was the whole reason for the teardown was to replace the leaking lower intake gaskets and found all that sludge.The guy was more then mad to say the least.

Yeah I did change my oil after seeing that,only had 1500miles on my old oil,thinking about changing it again tomorrow and again the next day.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a reason why manufactures recommend oil & filter changes every 3,500 miles.
Sludge is only funny when it happens to someone else!:icon_twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9RttyUQiws
Use a quality oil & filter!
I guess this man thought he was saving lots by not doing his oil changes!:Bye:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a reason why manufactures recommend oil & filter changes every 3,500 miles.
Sludge is only funny when it happens to someone else!:icon_twisted:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9RttyUQiws
Use a quality oil & filter!
I guess this man thought he was saving lots by not doing his oil changes!:Bye:
Yeah he believed those idiots that say 3k oil changes is a thing of the past.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup.. now his engine is a thing of the past!:smokin:

Some ideas just simply put.....
Are not worth a S__T.:favorites68:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19Wmiy8rwig
You know that know the so claimed "experts" on the web(consumer reports and all those idiots) have severly reversed there opinions on fluid change intervals/Now they are saying to change your trans fluid every 30k when before they would say it never needed to be changed.

After 100k miles on those 10k OCI's those engines will look the same inside and VW/Audi will reverse there recommendations.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Agreed!
Anytime you include high revs, high heat and moving metal parts, both contaminants and
inevitable viscosity fatigue.... should dictate.....
Change your engine oil ,transmission & power steering fluid and gear lubes frequently.... if you want them to last.
I am sure all manufacturers have good incomes charging you, just after the warranty is expired, at those extended intervals.

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
That'll wash right off

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm just curious as to why they market their oils to last that long (other than to make the almighty dollar). I'm know the oils have to be run through tests to avoid the false advertising lawsuits, etc... but looking at photos like Troy has posted makes me wonder how they get away with stuff like that.

I use the Mobil 1 synthetic extended performance oil that advertises 15,000 miles between changes. I'll never go to that extent... even the thought of 7-10K between oil changes freaks me out a little. But why claim that if it's going to leave the engine the goopy mess like in the photos?

If it's got to do with profit, wouldn't the manufacturers benefit more by claiming a lower mileage between oil changes? More frequent changes = more oil/filters purchased.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also wonder about the idea of using synthetic engine oil just to stretch out the period between oil changes. If I ever did switch to synthetic engine oil it would be for the quality and I'd keep the oil changes at every 5,000 kms.

Say does anybody have an opinion of replacing just the oil filter every 5,000 kms? Sounds like a bad idea if you ask me.

Next we can begin discussing wrapping the oil filter with magnets.