Change Oil Light Reset???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a light on the dashboard that says "CHANGE OIL". Stays on for short while when first starting engine and you drive away.

Is that just some kind of reminder light? Or is it "saying" there is a problem detected?

How do you reset the reminder? I *did* change the oil last month. Now the light came on.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's a light on the dashboard that says "CHANGE OIL". Stays on for short while when first starting engine and you drive away.

Is that just some kind of reminder light? Or is it "saying" there is a problem detected?

How do you reset the reminder? I *did* change the oil last month. Now the light came on.
Read the owners manual,it will tell you how to reset the light.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CHANGE OIL warning comes on to tell you it is time to change the oil, duh. When you change the oil, turn the key to the on position, but do not start the engine, and press the gas pedal to the floor, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.

WalkGood

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The CHANGE OIL warning comes on to tell you it is time to change the oil, duh.

Well, DUH, you state the obvious. :D

The question was, is it just a reminder or is there some kind of oil sensor saying the oil is dirty?

But I do thank you for the details on reseting the indicator light. How many miles is a reset good until it comes on again??

DnvrJeepGuy

Reaction score
The question was, is it just a reminder or is there some kind of oil sensor saying the oil is dirty?

But I do thank you for the details on reseting the indicator light. How many miles is a reset good until it comes on again??

It's more of a calculation the engine computer does to tell you when, based on how you have driven, you should change the oil. On my Liberty, it varies between 2800 and 3300 miles when it comes on. More highway miles causes it to go further before the reminder comes on.

nchorselover55

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The OIL CHANGE light is a suggestion. The interval is calculated by the PCM based on: distances driven, speed, engine temperature.... And, will vary, useually, between 2500 and 4500 miles (making the oil change between 3k and 5k, lighting 500 miles before oil change due). Mine has been lighting at 2500 miles, each time.