Change Oil Message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mike Brierton

Reaction score
About 2000 miles before I was due for an oil change, everytime I started my Jeep a message would come up on the dash saying "Change Oil". I continued to drive and change my oil at my normal interval. But now after I changed my oil, the message still comes up.

Do I have a bad sensor? This was also the first time I changed my oil myself (this most recent time after the message started appearing) instead of taking it to a independent shop, so do I need to do somthing with the computer to indicate a oil change?

Thank You,
Mike

I would also like to add that I will forever hold a grudge against whatever engineer decided to position the oil filter where it is!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No you have to reset message after you change your oil
Oil filter is in a great spot
I change oil in mine and customers all the time, reach up in and remove/ replace , easy

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
With the engine skid plate it is difficult to reach the oil filter from underneath. Here is a trick I now use:

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

To reset the oil change message, turn the key to RUN with the engine off, depress and release the accelerator 3 times within 10 seconds, then turn OFF. Now when you turn the key on next time the message will not ding at you. I find the change oil message comes back every 3000 miles or every 2500 miles if I use tow/haul with my trailer.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
KK or KJ
KJ is easy
KK can be very hard
Yes, big difference. Tom saw me struggle to reach that oil filter on my KK once. I was changing the oil that day while he installed extended rear sway bar links for my 4” JBA lift. Good times.

Latest posts

Members online