Carrying items on roof

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2004 JEEP LIBERTY SPORT 4X2 SPORT UTILITY 4-DR Columbia package with the luggage rails that run along each side.
Anyone know what limits those things have? I have a sunfish sailboat I would like to transport on a camping trip. Boat weighs in around 150-180 lbs and is 14 feet long.

Thanks

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the stock roof rails, if you add crossbars to distribute the load, are good for 130 or 150lbs.. I cant recall which.

I'm familiar with that boat, I had one a while back. If it's closer to the 150lbs mark, with a good and solid set of cross bars, I think you'd be ok.

Perhaps someone who has loaded their roof rails with closer to 200lbs can chime in and offer feedback.

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I been on my roof it didnt collapse im only about 140lbs and i used the rails as handle to help me get up i think the 14ft might pose a problem i would add some crossbars and firly ratchet strap it so its more resting on the rails not the roof

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Your owners manual will list this information at 150lbs.
I have a Rola Basket mounted using the factory cross bars.
I chose these as they are locking, strong & wide and perfect for canoe or small boat.
52806[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

52808[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

You should have no problems with your sailfish on top, as long as it is secured properly.

Attachments

• KJOEMLockingCrossBars.jpg
    KJOEMLockingCrossBars.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 0
  • KjCrossBars.jpg
    KjCrossBars.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 0

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the stock roof rails, if you add crossbars to distribute the load, are good for 130 or 150lbs.. I cant recall which.

I'm familiar with that boat, I had one a while back. If it's closer to the 150lbs mark, with a good and solid set of cross bars, I think you'd be ok.

Perhaps someone who has loaded their roof rails with closer to 200lbs can chime in and offer feedback.

Ha ha not me

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could even use that 3/4" galvanized pipe crossbars with some clamps but you need something to spread the weight out and you need to have it tied down

sblanck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to wrap some 2 x 6's and attach them to the rails.
Tie the front of the boat down to the front of the jeep and rachet the hull down.
I have had plywood up there but I guess I am concerned with lift more so than pressure on the rails. With a gap between the roof and the boat air will flow through there and create lift and I didnt know how much lift the fasteners in the roof rails were developed for. I can find pictures of Sunfish on all sorts of cars via roof racks.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As LibertyTC stated, it's 150 lbs. Per the 2004 owners manual:
"CAUTION!
To avoid damage to the roof rack and vehicle, do
not exceed the maximum roof rack load capacity
of 150 lbs (68 kg) or 65 lbs (29.5 kg) on Renegade
models. Always distribute heavy loads as evenly
as possible and secure the load appropriately.
Long loads which extend over the windshield,
such as wood panels or surfboards, should be
secured to both the front and rear of the vehicle.
Place a blanket or other protection between the
surface of the roof and the load.
Travel at reduced speeds and turn corners carefully
when carrying large or heavy loads on the
roof rack. Wind forces, due to natural causes or
nearby truck traffic, can add sudden upward
loads. This is especially true on large flat loads
and may result in damage to the cargo or your
vehicle."

That has me questioning, what is different about the renegade roof/rack...only 65 lbs.? At times in the winter, that's a snow load!! ;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Renagade originally had that cheap plastic tupper ware covering the even cheaper side rails. So that is the reason for the reduced rate on them
It was all for looks