Roof Rack/Basket From Scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've entirely removed factory rails (will use original mounting attachments) and started a full length rack. It'll extend from just above windshield to back glass. There'll also be a rack and roller system built in for spare tire storage. Angled spoiler in leading surface with lights mounted to shine through it. Handyman jack, and shovel mount. Boat style cleats spaced front, back and sides for rope tie downs.

My business is owner/operator tire shop,muffler shop, general repair. Over the years I've fabricated everything from stairway handrails, deer stands, kitchen overhead pot racks, truck bed livestock sideboards, pet cages, and many items I've forgotten.

A question before I get too far along though, How deep are the sides of those sharp looking baskets quite a few of this crowd have mounted on your Liberties? I've got the basic lower frame and brackets to roof formed, now I need to figure out just how much spacer to use between frame and upper rail?

Thanks,

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Why have a upper rail?
Flat racks work great and you can lift more and still fit in the garage:shrug::icon_lol:
But most are in the 4-6 inch range

cplchris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bob, take a look at my album called roof rack. those are the only pics i have right now, the vertical stubs between the upper and lower hoops are 3-1/2" long for all intents and purposes the tubing is 1" OD (i think actual od is .95 or .92") so the overall height of the basket is 5.5", the lower hoop extends the the front edge of the roof, (if i ever decide to drop the money for a lightbar).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The look

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had both styles on mine,
As far as " the look"
LOTS more positive comments from a wider variety of people ( owners of other makes and models of 4X4s) on the flat rack than I ever had with the one with sides . :shrug:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had both styles on mine,
As far as " the look"
LOTS more positive comments from a wider variety of people ( owners of other makes and models of 4X4s) on the flat rack than I ever had with the one with sides . :shrug:

OK, the look I want. #uc+ the spectators. :blah:

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is another carrier that is sure to gain you some compliments and looks. Keeps the contents dry, and it would turn out to be useful for you one day as well. So it's settled then, this is what you should do! :happy175:

You must be registered for see images attach

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Here is another carrier that is sure to gain you some compliments and looks. Keeps the contents dry, and it would turn out to be useful for you one day as well. So it's settled then, this is what you should do! :happy175:

Should be at least a hand or foot sticking out :happy175:
Thats the right way to go !!
( in more ways than one)

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got lower frame and bottom load carrying assembly mostly completed, I'll try to take a few pics as I go.

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got lower frame and bottom load carrying assembly mostly completed, I'll try to take a few pics as I go.
Bob

Might want to wait till it's all done before showing pics.
That way you won't have to hear how you're doing it all wrong! :happy175:

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here goes;

This is back to front view. The center runners are cannibalized runners for an over head door. The center two will be used for a track to carry the spare.

A pic of one of the rear "feet" to mount in original rack place.

Front "foot".

View from front.

Yes, my shop is just as old, messy, disorganized as it looks.

Bob

Jbergun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice wish i had a shop. All i got is a two car garage full of stuff. But me and my father in-law just got a mig welder. So i get to keep on dabling with stick. While he starts using the mig. Once i can get some real welds with a stick i will start using the mig. Then maybe i can embark on something like this by myself.

Keep up the great work.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shop has been unbelievably busy since I started this project, plus having to re-floor my utility trailer (expanded metal instead of wood), overhaul lawn vacuum/mulcher, and another personal project or two. So, I'm just now back to this one.

The front to back runners are overhead door track a customer gave me, there's a bit of bed-rail angle iron, and 1 1/2" exhaust tubing as well. The spare carrier has rollers from said overhead door source mounted in track so that spare can be rolled back and tilted down onto rear door in much the same place as original spare for access when needed. Mount for spare is a wheel bearing/hub assembly spindle cut and welded to short section of 3" exhaust pipe then bolted to roller assembly.

Keep in mind this is still a work in progress/ one of a kind project pulled in bits and pieces totally helter skelter from my minds eye.

Bob

ouroboros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks interesting Bob, would like to see the finished project when it's all said and done. Any idea on the finish you'll go with?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local glass shop does professional "Husky Liner" bed lining. I've had him do my pickup bed, RTV bed, John Deere Gator bed, and half dozen minor coating jobs on various items. Since I'll eventually have the entire exterior surface of the Liberty coated, that's what'll go on the rack as well.

Bob

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local glass shop does professional "Husky Liner" bed lining. I've had him do my pickup bed, RTV bed, John Deere Gator bed, and half dozen minor coating jobs on various items. Since I'll eventually have the entire exterior surface of the Liberty coated, that's what'll go on the rack as well.

Bob
Going for the bomb proof look huh?

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday was another slow day at work. Got expanded metal to protect light bar and side bracing in place;

Next will be a test fitting.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online