Roof Rack/Basket From Scratch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it on!

You must be registered for see images attach

Spare tire mount ready to install spare;

Spare in place, ready to go up top;

And in place;

Side view;

Bob

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. In keeping with the overhead door materials theme, you could install a garage door opener to the front rail to raise and lower the spare. :happy175:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool idea!

Did you mount some kind of protective 'bump stop' around the third brake light or on the gate to protect the body from the spare tire rack? I can see myself losing the grip on the mechanism and making a nice dent or scratch where it drops.

Well done sir!

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The way my rollers mount in the track it can't "break over" until it's safely past the light and rear window. The feet on the end of the roller bar are off an old bed frame and rest on the tailgate where the threaded holes for the original spare holder are. I'll be the first to admit those feet are the most hillbilly looking part of my apparatus. But they sure fulfill the task intended for them.

Bob

M38 Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A rear bumper is also on the back burner. I'm planning to mount my license plate to the tailgate where the tire carrier holes are at. Only thing I dread is re-routing the license plate light wire into the tailgate.

Bob

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking good, Bob.

Dave