Cant get front drive shaft back in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So all day i was under there trying. The head went on fine, did noticed that there was a correct way. But got all the caps on and slid in the t case side, got it into place, needed about 1/4 inch to slide into front axel. So i tighted down the bolts for the t case head, still need 1/8 inch. I even got someone else to push on it, it seems it just too long.
Flipped over the head and it was way off, so flipped it back over and tried again.
Any ideas?
I need my 4wd!!

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk 2

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Is this a bought shaft? Did you replace head? Need a little more info. There are three lengths of drive shaft.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the oem shaft that came with the jeep, and i replaced the t case head with driveshaft parts #me807

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, even with the factory cv head and torn boot attached, c clip seated, with out dust cover it still wont go back in......

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It has to go back in, carefully make sure you have everything lined up and tap it with a hammer
If it came out and you installed that kit "correctly " then it has to go

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even with tapping with a hammer and the old cv joint on it (with torn boot still on it) it seems too long. Im thinking maybe the other side got some thing causing it not to slide all the way in. Does the other side (axle cv) slide on splines? Maybe i can take the boot off and see if its sliding all the way down.....

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you need to do the front diff side first...that side compresses. Put that in and push and it will become short enough to get the t-case side in....then align and bolt everything down.

4x4kayak2112

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, see i was installing the t case first.....do you have to remove anything for the other way around?

hectikart

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't need to remove anything else...when I did mine getting it back in was the easiest part.