Can I Wheel in this condition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I think that I need to replace my front passenger side shaft/CV because it makes little clicking sounds when I drive slow on pavement. I found the part at NAPA for $93 dollars new. I basically need to know 1: is this the right part? 2: How do I buy a re-manufactured part through NAPA (I heard it was cheaper but I cant find info), and 3: Would it be safe to take my Jeep on a trail run on the mild side of moderate trails without tearing anything up?

The popping is pretty quiet and isn't 100% of the time.

Here is the link for the part:
NAPA AUTO PARTS

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1: Does it click when turning left? Is your boot busted and leaking? Are you sure its not the front driveshaft cv where it connects to your transfer case? Here is your remaned part NAPA AUTO PARTS)

2: I got a new one from an Advance in Columbus GA for around $65. The remanufactured ones were $63 with a $70 core charge. The people on here say that the NAPA ones are the way to go. Ask the clerk there about it. You pay for the part and pay the core charge but when you turn in the old one, you get your core charge back.

3: I would wheel it. I am no expert and my opinion is just my opinion.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Trent on the wheeling - if it's just clicking occasionally you should be fine. Just don't get in a situation where the front of the Libby is bouncing up & down. Might put the CV over the edge.

As far as the part from NAPA - definitely go with the remmaned vs the new one. You'll actually pay less after the core charge is refunded. You'll pay about $180 for the part including the core charge of about $125. As soon as you bring the old part back the $125 comes right off your credit card so you end up paying roughly $55 before tax for the remained CV.

Confession time: When I did my my CV's I used Cardone brand for the driver's side cuz my local NAPA couldn't get that side for about a week and I was impatient. Didn't want to tear the Jeep apart the next weekend too. As soon as I took the Jeep for a test drive I could hear the Cardone groaning. Went back to NAPA, ordered the driver side reman, put it in the next weekend and not a single groan, moan, pop or click.

Bob

IsaiahBarnfield

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the link. I already replaced the CV joint that connects to the transfer case, so I don't think that is the problem. Also, the boots on the CV axle look completely fine, which is why I'm not sure that they are the problem, but the sound is definitely coming from the front passenger side. I jacked my liberty up and spun the front wheels by hand and there was no sound or anything obvious. But I should note that they don't spin easily and that the front drive shaft spins with them even though 4x4 isn't engaged.

I'll probably just go offroad in current shape and hopefully this can't tear anything up. But I will definitely get the NAPA part when it goes completely out.

Last edited:

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
The CV end of the front driveshaft that typically fails is the end that meets the transfer case.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is making the same noise. I changed my passenger side driveshaft, but no change. Just light popping at about 10mph coming from passenger side. I posted on here about a week ago with no answers.

The front driveshaft disconnects through the transfer case and your hubs are solid to the diff not like manual locking hubs. Thus driveshaft turns when your wheels turn no matter if in 4x4 or not.

I never stopped wheeling and my noise has been there a few months.

There are two cvs in the front driveshaft, and x2 the rear fails. I don't think I've ever heard of a front failing

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how many CVs are in the front drive shaft anyways? >.>

There are two - one on each end of the driveshaft. As Jayme said the one on the transfer case end fails frequently - the differential end lasts forever.

Bob

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope that we can find an answer to this. Im not the kind of guy to take my jeep to the shop unless I really have to. If I can find anything more about it, I will let you know. If something breaks then I will let you know. When I get a chance I will drive around in a parking lot and see if one of my buddies cant determine exactly where the sound is coming from under the jeep.

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the transfer case chain. My friend told me that when it stretches, it will make that sound. As a matter of fact, I just told him it was clicking and he described our exact problem. I will let you know after I get mine fixed. Also I am a drill sergeant so I dont have alot of time. It might take a while before I can get into the transfer case.

Latest posts

Members online