Ginormous air conditioning leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey friends I've got a Ginormous air con leak.

Backstory - ac clutch was not engaging, tested voltage at the sensor, it read 12v, jumped the pins at the fuse and sure enough the clutch engaged. I put the diy R134A can on the low pressure port and began filling. As soon as it went in, out it came from drivers side. It was loud enough leaking out that I could hear it with the engine running. Sounded like a compressor blowing out air. Anyhow I suspect I need to get the R134A with UV dye to find the exact leak.

My question is after I fix the leak, pending locating it, what do I do next? I don't have the tools to pull a vacuum. Should I just take it in for that part of the fix or is it cheaper to buy the tools? Is there anything else I should do/check, anything I might be missing?

TBH I was proud of myself measuring voltage and jumping fuse to engage clutch. Was satisfying finding the problem methodically and it actually working for once

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A leak that big shouldn't be hard to find. Look closely at the lines and canister in that area where you heard the leak and you will find a mess I would think.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There really isnt much on the drivers side for the A/C besides the condenser. You could try adding some 134 while the engine is off so you can hear it better.

If the leak is that big, that means its been pulling in and pushing out ambient air. Once you fix the leak, you should replace the accumulator. You can rent a vacuum pump and gauges from autozone.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok great. Yes there is a huge mess where I'm hearing the leak. All the hoses are covered in oily residue. I'm gonna try again when I get some free time. I'm somewhat concerned it's leaking in a few places. Maybe its just seals.

Thanks for the advice about the accumulator! Makes a lot of sense to replace as well.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some seals on rockauto and just replaced them all. The KJ is the easiest A/C system I've worked on, everything is just bolted together. The hose going from my compressor to the condenser was starting to weep on mine. Maybe it blew out on yours? I added 1/4oz of oil since the hose was rather oily.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought some seals on rockauto and just replaced them all. The KJ is the easiest A/C system I've worked on, everything is just bolted together. The hose going from my compressor to the condenser was starting to weep on mine. Maybe it blew out on yours? I added 1/4oz of oil since the hose was rather oily.

Great to hear. I suspect replacing all the seals makes sense given the work I'm already going to be doing. I think I'll try to find a friend to borrow gauges and vacuum pump from.

Anything else I should test/replace while I'm in there? Honestly not sure how many more years this baby has left in her but don't wanna let her go and it's been an education in car repair maintenance having her around.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  1. Replace all the seals
  2. Replace the shraedar valves
  3. Replace low side line w/ orifice in it
  4. Replace the dryer
If the system is open you'll should be replacing these. Each item replaced also would require a certain amount of oil as well.

johnnygrace

Full Access Member
Reaction score
  1. Replace all the seals
  2. Replace the shraedar valves
  3. Replace low side line w/ orifice in it
  4. Replace the dryer
If the system is open you'll should be replacing these. Each item replaced also would require a certain amount of oil as well.

Thanks for the list. I'm seeing the rental tools at a place down the street. I'm gonna gather the parts and will report back.

Quick question. Is this the correct part from rockauto... low side line (left hand drive compressor to evaporator)

Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey. I'm not sure if you were referring to my #3, lowside line w/ orifice in it. That would be the liquid line. Sorry about that. I'm not a tech but it's technically still the low pressure side :D.

It has the orifice in it and also has a mesh screen filter on it. The orifice is embedded in the line and is not replaceable. The whole line has to be replaced. This would bolt up between the dryer and the condensor.

Unfortunately all the aftermarket parts for this is not manufactured with the correct length so it doesn't sit flush to the side of the engine bay as it would.

On a side note, a trick for those seals is to use a socket to push the seals in evenly.

I'm not sure what your game plan is but please keep in mind the requirements for any warranty especially if you're replacing the AC compressor.

Artimus

Reaction score

I replaced the high pressured A/C line and the A/C worked for about 2 weeks, then I got myself a vacuum pump and A/C gauges at harbor freight to work on the AC system myself.

Replaced the shrader valve on the low A/C side but it still leaked. My guess is that my evaporator core finally gave out. My experience with the KJ's A/C system has not been the easiest but we'll see after I spend a weekend working on taking the dashboard apart to replace the evaporator core.

Latest posts

Members online