Camshaft position sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qwertydog

Reaction score
Hi, I have an '03 Sport with the 3.7ltr and it's driving me crazy ! A few days ago it stalled in a parking lot, after I managed to restart it the engine ran really rough at low rpm but smooth enough at higher speed to get me home. My scan tool gave me code #P0340 ( camshaft position sensor circuit malfunction ) so naturally I bought and installed a new sensor. The engine fired up and ran smooth for a whole day, the next day the same thing happened and I got the same code. I don't beleive that the PCM would not work one day then work fine the next, so I looked at the wiring schematic and noticed in the cam sensor circuit there is a total of 5 splices. Thinking one of these could be intermitant I ran a 3 core wire directly from the sensor to the PCM. This fix lasted 2 days, yesterday the same symptons reappeared and I have the same trouble code, which I cleared and the engine fired up and is running smooth again. But now I can't trust it. The only 2 original items left in this circuit are the PCM and the timing wheel on the cam which feeds the sensor the required pulses. How could one of these be intermitant ? I really would like some feed back on this, it has me wanting to sell the darn thing, which would be a shame as my wife would much rather drive the Liberty than my Ford Expedition. Thanks for reading this long post, I wanted to get across as much info as possible so you have a clear picture of where I'm at.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
By looking quickly at the factory service manual, it looks like a pretty simple circuit.

The PCM supplies the camshaft position sensor with a 5volt power wire(orange) and a ground wire(black with a light blue tracer). The camshaft position senor then sends a signal back to the PCM via a tan wire with a yellow tracer.

I suspect you either have a faulty connector or a bad ground. Although, it is possible you got a dud for a new camshaft position sensor.

Just out of curiosity, how many miles are on this Liberty?

audiio24

Reaction score
Hello i recently bought an 04 liberty limited edition and had the same problem on the highway engien light came on ran like crap would barly idle got the code read camshaft position senser so i got it did the quick change, ran great for a week then same crap again i have noticed it happens hen i need to accelerat fast liek merging onto the highway or goign up a hill from a stop and requiring alot of gas to get going so it makes me want to think its a loose wire. i have gone underthere pushed on the plug made sure the wires were in the plug itself reset the code by unhooking the batterie and then it was fine for another 2 days but just came on again on my way home? any ideas

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What brand sensor did you get? Is it a factory/dealer sensor or one from AutoZone, etc?

For sensors I don't trust any but those from the dealer.

Bob

audiio24

Reaction score
Same issue

I had/have the same issue with my CPS sensor, i got the code 2 weeks after buying it used, so i got a new on installed it and was fine for a few weeks but then after accelerating onto the highway it popped back on did the normal tack bouncing thing crappy idle ect, so i got it home looked under and im not sure if a wire is loose on the plug or what but i just kinda pushed the plug into the sensor and made sure it wasnt lose unhooked the battery to clear the coad and it drove fine today. anyone eles have the same issue? or and ideas other then just a loose wire? i was thinking of putting some of that electrical grease in the eletrical plug were it goes onto the sensor?

2004 liberty limited edition 3.7 liter, auto ******. if thats any relavance

Members online

No members online now.