Caliper boots? What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Just like everything in life it's all about "odds" right? The longer you wait the great the probability of failure. It takes the correct set of circumstances which may occur at any point or never. Talk about helpful ...lmao

You should be a politician! :D

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sure you can get a new boot
BUT that is not the proper OR SAFE way to repair it.
You can redneck engineer it or fix it the right way, but remember someday a little girl may run out on front of you, can you stop fast enough?
And yes I deleted one word from your response above :Bye:

To those who do not know there is a rubber seal down around the piston, what is shown in the picture is the dust boot which keeps dirt etc out. Now if that is torn it allows dirt down around the piston and the seal which when working in and out as you brake it will slowly wear that seal from the dirt and dust. When the seal tears it will allow brake fluid to come out causing you to have no brakes
Now is it worth it to take a chance? I don't think so although some do

I was going to let this fizzle out and disappear but I feel strongly that someone is implying that I am a "redneck engineer".
I have got several certificates issued by City and Guilds, The Ministry of Transport and various manufacturers certificates that say otherwise. I was merely saying that bolting on a new caliper is not the only way out of this predicament. It is a perfectly safe practice to get a seal kit and a new rubber boot, strip the caliper, flush out with brake cleaner and then brake fluid and assuming there are no wear marks on the brake caliper piston or bore, rebuild the caliper with new seals and dust cover and refit and bleed the system. Obviously this should only be done by a competent person who has done this before but will be significantly cheaper assuming you are doing it yourself and not paying garage rates for someone to do it for you.
If on the other hand, you are not qualified or confident about carrying out this work, then obviously a replacement caliper fitted by a competent person is the way to go.
If the "redneck engineer" was not aimed at me, as sometimes text is misconstrued, then i apologise unreservedly and just ignore the first paragraph. Thank you.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Well glad you finally spelled it out, just saying boots were the way to go did not address what actually needs to be done to properly rebuild a caliper. When answering questions most times I try to look at it from the OPs point of view and what they may or may not know.
In this case answers were replace the caliper to there are boots available, nothing mentioned again about the correct way to rebuild one. Most people would not know the correct way or have the needed tools so easiest best way is to replace. Yes calipers are easy to rebuild, if you know what you are doing.
Redneck Engineering was not aimed at you really, but rather the thought of just replacing the boot and going down the road. If you took it that way, well.........

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well glad you finally spelled it out, just saying boots were the way to go did not address what actually needs to be done to properly rebuild a caliper. When answering questions most times I try to look at it from the OPs point of view and what they may or may not know.
In this case answers were replace the caliper to there are boots available, nothing mentioned again about the correct way to rebuild one. Most people would not know the correct way or have the needed tools so easiest best way is to replace. Yes calipers are easy to rebuild, if you know what you are doing.
Redneck Engineering was not aimed at you really, but rather the thought of just replacing the boot and going down the road. If you took it that way, well.........

More insinuations? Thanks Tom. You're a real gentleman! :shrug:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with Tom,you did not mention fully rebuilding the caliper just stated to replace the dust boot.By the time you even find a rebuild kit for said KJ caliper and all the correct tools to actually rebuild it you just spent more money then buying 2 remaned calipers to start with(after core charge refunded).

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So thats the noises late at night and missing food, you been hiding behind my couch
Dang ........now thinking back what you've seen!

Latest posts

Members online