Caliper boots? What should I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images

While the boy was changing the brakes we saw what I'm told is a torn boot on my caliper? Apparently there are rebuild kits but I don't know if they come with the boot, or can I just get a new boot, or do I need a whole new thingie?

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score

While the boy was changing the brakes we saw what I'm told is a torn boot on my caliper? Apparently there are rebuild kits but I don't know if they come with the boot, or can I just get a new boot, or do I need a whole new thingie?

No your "thingie" is fine! :happy175: You can just get a new dust cover for the front calipers from Jeep. You don't need a complete overhaul kit. Steve :smokin:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's only the dust cover that is torn. So long as there are no leaks from the caliper and they work ok i.e. not seized, they will be fine.The bit that is torn is only to stop the crap getting to the machined surfaces of the piston and seals. Steve

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
It's only the dust cover that is torn. So long as there are no leaks from the caliper and they work ok i.e. not seized, they will be fine.The bit that is torn is only to stop the crap getting to the machined surfaces of the piston and seals. Steve

Correct statement but looking at it wrong. Just go buy a new or rebuilt caliper, its to keep dirt etc out, so how do you know nothing has gotten down in there and ready to cause you more problems.

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct statement but looking at it wrong. Just go buy a new or rebuilt caliper, its to keep dirt etc out, so how do you know nothing has gotten down in there and ready to cause you more problems.

You don't know without taking the boot off and inspecting it, so by the same token, why would you go out and buy new calipers?

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
You don't know without taking the boot off and inspecting it, so by the same token, why would you go out and buy new calipers?

Here,in America the boots,install time,getting calipers anyway to replace the ones that started leaking after replacing the boots,the rotors that got eat up by the "repaired "caliper sticking,are a little pricey.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
My question would be did the pads have even wear, indicating the piston/slider is working correctly?
I always do a set of brakes as a pair. In other words if the caliper is sticking on one side, both calipers and new pads/ new rotors get done at all at once to bring the braking system to like new again.
Replacing the calipers also includes having to bleed the system, and that is also a good thing to do every few years! The brake fluid is neglected on most vehicles, as most do not do flushes of the system. Brake fluid works hard & gets dirty, add in factor of moisture absorption, it is a good idea to bleed the brakes and get new fluid in system!
Regarding rear brakes please take the time to inspect your e-brake shoes as well.
40745[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Replace the spring kit & shoes while there, your e-brake will thank you.
40747[/ATTACH]"]

In my case with 35k miles, the rear calipers were inspected.
Sliders got lubed, boot cleaned etc. The system on my rig had the brake fluid flushed by dealer last year when the front was renewed.
40749[/ATTACH]"]

All Napa Premium products to replace the ageing original rear system.
Now the e-brake is better and the rears come on strong now.

Attachments

• EBrakeShoes.jpg
    EBrakeShoes.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 0
  • KJEbrakeSpringsShoes.jpg
    KJEbrakeSpringsShoes.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 0
  • NapaRearBrakesComplete.jpg
    NapaRearBrakesComplete.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

If you've only driven a few miles you have dirt and grit down in there from the road, common sense tells you to replace the whole thing or rebuild it. No discussion needed.
I used to work in a shop doing nothing but brakes all day long. If someone would of came in with a torn boot like that they would of had to either have me rebuild it or buy a new/ rebuilt one. If they didn't want to spend the money I would not work on the vehicle and made them sign a waiver of what was found and they refused to repair it properly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you've only driven a few miles you have dirt and grit down in there from the road, common sense tells you to replace the whole thing or rebuild it. No discussion needed.
I used to work in a shop doing nothing but brakes all day long. If someone would of came in with a torn boot like that they would of had to either have me rebuild it or buy a new/ rebuilt one. If they didn't want to spend the money I would not work on the vehicle and made them sign a waiver of what was found and they refused to repair it properly.
X2..........

It's cheaper these days to just get a remaned caliper.Takes 30 mins max to swap them out and bleed,and yes it is easier but not the reason for just replacing the whole caliper.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy responses everyone! So after reading over everything....

Mileage is about 36,000 and both brake pads had even wear. I am going to call around island to see if anyone has the replacement caliper for a reasonable price. I understand that it shouldn't be that expensive. If nobody has the caliper then how do you guys feel about just replacing the boot and bleeding the system with new fluid? And.... What is the consensus on changing both of them at the same time, the other boot looks fine.

Thanks!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah....someone must not of read the whole thing
replace the whole caliper
replacing the boot will trap any dirt that is already in there you can not get it all out
just replace it
you could maybe get by with replacing just the one with the low mileage

Last edited:

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jesus! This seems to have got ugly quicky! Without the need for discussion, the answer to the original question "Can I just get a new boot?" the answer is yes you can.

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So what you guys are saying is some duct tape and a pressure washer and I'll be great?!?

Hahaha just kidding! I'm mainly concerned about being able to find the parts on island, it can be pretty difficult to get stuff down here especially at a reasonable price.

Next question, what's my timeline for needing to get this fixed?

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
Just like everything in life it's all about "odds" right? The longer you wait the great the probability of failure. It takes the correct set of circumstances which may occur at any point or never. Talk about helpful ...lmao

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
******This seems to have got ugly quicky! Without the need for discussion, the answer to the original question "Can I just get a new boot?" the answer is yes you can.

Sure you can get a new boot
BUT that is not the proper OR SAFE way to repair it.
You can redneck engineer it or fix it the right way, but remember someday a little girl may run out on front of you, can you stop fast enough?
And yes I deleted one word from your response above :Bye:

To those who do not know there is a rubber seal down around the piston, what is shown in the picture is the dust boot which keeps dirt etc out. Now if that is torn it allows dirt down around the piston and the seal which when working in and out as you brake it will slowly wear that seal from the dirt and dust. When the seal tears it will allow brake fluid to come out causing you to have no brakes
Now is it worth it to take a chance? I don't think so although some do

Last edited: