Buying USED struts/shocks/springs (how much should I pay)???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I talked to a guy selling Monroe struts/shocks/springs. They have roughly 30,000 miles on them. This is for front and rear.

He said $200! Is that a good deal or too high?

$100 is what I was thinking...

What do you guys think and please don't say "why buy used struts?"

My Jeep has 180k miles and I'm looking for a cheap upgrade and not to spend $500.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
100 bucks would be on the high side with 30,000 miles on them
Would NEVER pay 200
I guess they would be better than what you have though

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
100 bucks would be on the high side with 30,000 miles on them
Would NEVER pay 200
I guess they would be better than what you have though

I was actually thinking $50 but when the guy said $200 I told him "well I am more in the $100 range" and he thought that was too low...

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Too bad I threw mine out or you could have had them for shipping cost. Didn't think anyone would need them.....darn

Dave

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I am on a tight budget...What do you guys say about something like this:

You must be registered for see images attach

LINK: 4 New Shocks Struts Full Set Lifetime Warranty 02-10 Jeep Liberty Set #40073 | eBay

Also, if I want the whole suspension front and back is there something else I am missing? Not familiar with the terminology (springs, shock absorber, struts, shocks, etc.)...
I'd pass since they can't get the fitment right and no brand name.Any name will do but they list no name at all,most likely cleaned up used OE takeoff's.That's fleabay style there.

'02-'07 KJ's use the same shocks all around,'08+ KK's and nitro's use different shocks then the KJ.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Used doesnt seem like the direction you want to go when buying suspension parts. I would just buy a little at a time. Front shocks then springs and so on.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Used is hit and miss
Someone may tell you they have 30,000 and in fact have 90,000 miles
I gave away several sets of springs and shocks that had 20-30,000 miles on them since no one wanted them plus wasn't worth the hassle
I know you are trying to do it as cheap as possible but
as my wife would tell you
Bure aghali, Swahili for cheap is expensive

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@ "Cheap is expensive" I agree. I ran on my factory suspension until I could afford the upgrade I really wanted. I was impatient at times, but it was worth the wait.

$200 is too much. If the guy is upgrading his suspension, he should be happy to get anything at all for his old parts. I threw away my factory suspension when I upgraded (100K miles on OEM parts- who would want it?) I'd say <=$100.

With 180K on the clock, think about how long you're going to keep your Jeep. If you plan to trade it in a year or so, this might be a reasonable way to improve the suspension a little (if the used parts are in good condition.) If you are going to keep the Jeep for a long time, then it might be worth it to wait and save for a proper upgrade with new suspension parts, since that will last longer before you have to tear your suspension apart again.

thegreatgate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He wrote me an email this morning saying the Moog front springs were $55 each...rear springs $65 each....So $330 just for springs...and the shocks and struts totalled $360 so he paid total of $690 and he says he thinks $200 is fair...

There really isn't a desparate need to upgrade the suspension. It is a little bouncy but that's all.

I'll probably just hold off for now...

sevenhelmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good plan. The guy is trying to take you for a ride. Even if I'd known him for years, I doubt I'd ever pay that much for used springs.

NJallDAY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He wrote me an email this morning saying the Moog front springs were $55 each...rear springs $65 each....So $330 just for springs...and the shocks and struts totalled $360 so he paid total of $690 and he says he thinks $200 is fair...

There really isn't a desparate need to upgrade the suspension. It is a little bouncy but that's all.

I'll probably just hold off for now...

you might as well lift it while your at it pal. It doesnt cost a whole lot more to upgrade to a lifted suspension. and if your like me and have trouble saving money just do as i said before.. save a little and buy your springs then front shock then the rears. or you can call that guys bluff and wait a week or 2 and then offer him the $100 bucks he'll probly take it when he realizes people arent as dumb as he thinks they are lol

trent.brown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im sure some idiot will pay for them, I dont have alot of faith left in American society.

I would always go with new suspension components. You wouldnt buy used pistons, or used ball joints, or a used fuel pump would you?

badkittystt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some white socks I ran around in the mud in for sale. I paid a whole $2.50 so I'm gonna need at least $1.75 for em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got some white socks I ran around in the mud in for sale. I paid a whole $2.50 so I'm gonna need at least $1.75 for em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope I'll give you 2.75 the mud is a performance improvement.