Buying a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited: Engine issues true or false?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

krissypoo29

Reaction score
Buying a 2002 Jeep Liberty Limited: I heard horror stores about the engine!

Is this true? I heard some bad reviews about the engine. Should I go with a 2003 instead?

That is all.

Thanks.

KramerClyde734

Reaction score
idk about 02 but my 03 is strong as hell at 102k, no leaks, beautiful sounding motor so im going to let her clear her throat with an exhaust upgrade so it can purr and growl at everyone. i find the drive-train to be great not too much lash pretty good gear ratios. mpg wise i get 13 when im late for work, 18 normal, 15ish city, and 21 when i play the "MPG Game" The only thing so far that i have to report is that the lanyard for my fuel cap broke and one of the light bar covers committed suicide going down the high way....

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have been on many Keep forums over the years and the general opinion is that the 2002 KJs were well built as they spent more time getting the first models out into the market and there were less electronic nannies fitted. Any problems with the motor you can easily change up to a later year engine as a replacement...just need some changes to the crankshaft reluctor ring and the camshaft pickup.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've put new motors in 6 02's now.

I drive an 02 that I have no faith in even though I've had it apart, because I didn't have time to actually rebuild the motor and just put a junkyard motor in it. Just don't trust it.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk about 02 but my 03 is strong as hell at 102k, no leaks, beautiful sounding motor so im going to let her clear her throat with an exhaust upgrade so it can purr and growl at everyone. i find the drive-train to be great not too much lash pretty good gear ratios. mpg wise i get 13 when im late for work, 18 normal, 15ish city, and 21 when i play the "MPG Game" The only thing so far that i have to report is that the lanyard for my fuel cap broke and one of the light bar covers committed suicide going down the high way....

I have an 06 and your mpgs match what I get.

tlrtucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 02 Limited with 114k on it and have had zero problems with the engine or transmission. Have had a few other minor problems, but nothing that would deter me from recommending this rig to anyone. As long as proper maintenance has been performed you should be ok.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
The 3.7 has been used in millions of different vehicles for decades. Unless you happen get a bad one you should be just fine.

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have an 02 and 07 both with the 3.7 engine and I would drive them anywhere. All vehicles have their problems and no vehicle will last forever.