Bug deflector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

05Sport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they actually work? kopkrab.gif My windshield seems to get caked with bugs and i was wondering if the deflector would help or not. Any input appreciated. :)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some do... The one i used to have on my Dodge Dakota really did make a difference, i took it off thinking it wasn't doing anything and noticed how many more bugs i was taking out with it off.

But was it a big improvement?? Well i think it reduced them by 40-50% at most.

trail rated

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to work well on the WJ, also deflects snow when driving at higher speeds. Don't have any experience with the KJ tho.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't like the bug deflector for the KJ. With the hood having curves for the head lights the bug deflector gives the KJ a "Uno-brow look". I wouldn't mind it on the 04+ Renny Models though b/c they have a flat hood but to be honest I don't recall seeing a Renny with one.

Plus most deflectors only protect the hood and do crap for the windshield.

Last edited:

riptricket

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I don't like the bug deflector for the KJ. With the hood having curves for the head lights the bug deflector gives the KJ a "Uno-brow look". I wouldn't mind it on the 04+ Renny Models though b/c they have a flat hood but to be honest I don't recall seeing a Renny with one.

agreed!

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

rofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gifrofl2.gif

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I got one, and it's a yes and no, depending on your road speed... It has eliminated some, but it works more for almost 100% hood protection, big woop there... Still, I would rather a rock hit the hood than the window. At least with the protector, it doesn't hit the hood AND the windshield, just the windshield...

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do they actually work? kopkrab.gif My windshield seems to get caked with bugs and i was wondering if the deflector would help or not. Any input appreciated. :)

I've got one...actually the KJ was the wife's for 4 years so she got the bugshield. I couldn't tell you if it makes a difference with bugs and rocks, but we like the look of it.

The one annoying thing about the shield is that it sometimes interferes with the hood closing.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
My hood's leading edge is rock pitted and getting worse every winter. A bug shield would stop the paint from getting chipped and rust forming on the pit marks....as far as the bugs.....Rain-X should make cleaning the bugs off a bit easier.

lbeothuckl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find they do nothing for the windshield but they help against rocks hitting the hood. I had one but a rock split the damn thing and just haven't replaced it (really cold morning and the sander had just been out). It was fugly though!

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have one on my 04 Liberty and must agree that it doesn't really keep the bugs off of the windshield. It does protect the leading edge of the hood which is sometimes prone to stone chips.

And personally I like the unibrow look
You must be registered for see images

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have one on my 04 Liberty and must agree that it doesn't really keep the bugs off of the windshield. It does protect the leading edge of the hood which is sometimes prone to stone chips.

And personally I like the unibrow look
You must be registered for see images

^^^that's the best "bug deflector" I ever saw. Just paste that pic on your grill......haha

Dave

Bikeflyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On a sort of related note, maybe OT, what about the rear "spoiler"? Ive seen them listed for KJ and we used to have one on the old station wagon to cut window dust, so I was wandering whether or not it would help/hinder or nothing at all for the KJ. Sometimes they help mileage at the same time because of turbulence changes, so I was hoping someone might have thoughts on this.

sootie007

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Florida and Love Bug season they do save the leading edge hood paint so thats why I have had one on every vehicle ,,,the low profiles do not deflect the bugs over the windshield as well as the taller uglier ones.....on a single round trip to work during love bug season you can pickup 15-20 windshield strikes ...they definitely are cut down at 70 mph but another thing is love bugs are really light and easy to toss out of the way with a little air deflection ...bigger bugs are going to splat the windshield no matter what...they do help eliminate I am guessing 30-50% of strikes on the little bugs...sometimes you can actually see them getting tossed higher and the carcasses (?) end up a lot of times on the windshield tint stripe near the roof sort of out of your field of view ............J .

Latest posts

Members online