Broke a valve... Questions.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
[New?]Broke a valve... Questions.

So before leaving to work today I decided to top up the tires with air for the drive, all went well until I got to the Rear left, the metal valve stem cover would not budge... So I grabbed some pliers to um convince it off, and well snapped the valve right off(banghead), So now I have the spare on and have 2 questions...
1 The spare is 235/65R17 (OEM) and the the rest of the tires are 245/65R17, Will I be ok like this until I can get it fixed, and stay off 4WD Part time?
2 I have the TPMS, so am I looking at an all new sensor?

Thanks all...

Last edited:

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on the TPMS question since I don't have it.

I'm not 100% sure, but as for driving on the spare - I am going the conservative route and saying no, it's not safe. I'd think you could harm a differential. It's like doing a burnout all the time.

You're still spinning a differential at different rates due to the tires. On a 2wd car, you could get away with having the odd sized tire on a non-drive axle, however, being that you have a 4x4 you'd want all 4 tires on the ground to be the same size.

235 to 245 may be small enough that you wouldn't see ill effects, but I am not sure. I'd put it on long enough to get the other tire fixed.

Hopefully someone else chimes in to correct me or agree.

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
If you are just putting the spare on to take it to the garage to get the tire fixed, I would say no problem. But if you plan on driving it for a couple weeks, then no.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the rear driveshaft and use 4wd and turn it into a FWD jeep? Would that help save the diff?

Recommend against it. Don't know that the D30A is up to the task of pulling the Jeep around on it's own. In an emergency situation I'd risk it, but if it can be avoided I would refrain.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Hummmm, probably should have mentioned that I work 172km away (and it broke 10min before I had to leave)... OK thanks everyone I think I will see if I can find a shop here to switch the rubber for me so I can get it home... Not sure if I will be able to I work 48hrs strait and there is only one place in town here, what about if i move it to the front, and keep it in RWD?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hummmm, probably should have mentioned that I work 172km away (and it broke 10min before I had to leave)... OK thanks everyone I think I will see if I can find a shop here to switch the rubber for me so I can get it home... Not sure if I will be able to I work 48hrs strait and there is only one place in town here, what about if i move it to the front, and keep it in RWD?

I don't think it'll matter if it's on the front or rear. It's still a differential that'll be spinning at different rates.

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had new tires put on this past saturday and they showed me 2 of my metal valve stems were broke. One was cracked and one was bent. They had to order new ones, but in the mean time replaced them with the rubber valve stems. The only difference is now my TPMS light is on until the put the new ones on. Since there is no audio alet for the low tire pressure, it's not so bad waiting for the parts to come in. I'd put a rubber one on until you can get a TPMS valve.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
I had new tires put on this past saturday and they showed me 2 of my metal valve stems were broke. One was cracked and one was bent. They had to order new ones, but in the mean time replaced them with the rubber valve stems. The only difference is now my TPMS light is on until the put the new ones on. Since there is no audio alet for the low tire pressure, it's not so bad waiting for the parts to come in. I'd put a rubber one on until you can get a TPMS valve.

I think thats what I will do, I am bringing it to the only tire shop here in this town, to have them swap the rubber from the "broken" tire to the spare tire for $25CND a tire... So if they don't charge to much I will have them replace the valve instead, will have to see what is cheaper... Thanks for the idea...

RenegadeJay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discount Tire is charging $53 for each sensor, parts & installation. I didn't know they needed resetting. Hopefully that is part of the deal.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
typically about $100 labor and all including resetting the sensor in the states to replace a sensor

Hum... So thats about 105CND, but of course the Alberta mark up it will probably be about 150 if I can even find one!!! Should have seen the dealers when I asked for an 04 Engine/front Skid...(2 months later and I think there still looking) threestoges.gif

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Hum... So thats about 105CND, but of course the Alberta mark up it will probably be about 150 if I can even find one!!! Should have seen the dealers when I asked for an 04 Engine/front Skid...(2 months later and I think there still looking) threestoges.gif

Check the wreckers, I'm sure you will be able to find a few there.
And in most cases, if the unit you do buy doesn't work, they will either give you another one or a refund.

KJedmonton

Reaction score
Ok, so the tire is all fixed up now, so now another question for you all before I order my new spare...
My tread depth is 12/32", and a new Wrangler SilentArmor is 15/32" I think kopkrab.gif . So can I put this new tire on the Jeep, or should I just leave it as the spare? I just don't want to buy a new tire just to have it be a spare forever, I would rather be able to rotate with the spare?????????
Thanks as always....

cuatroXcuatro

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Go ahead and rotate it in.
BTW there is no problem running tires of a different diameter with open differentials, you´re not going to hurt anything.

Cheers from Edmonton.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I also have TPMS...

It's called a tyre pressure gauge!:D

Oh you mean the Tire Pressure Management Stick ... :D

It's a nice gimmick to have ..but for someone as **** about tire pressure as I am, the range of psi is far to great for it to be of any real use. I suppose if I have a blow out on the highway it would be nice that the little light comes on .. but somehow I think I'll already know I have a tire pressure problem at that point.

Last edited: