brake cleaner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So basically I was hearing a roar in the front, I went to check it out because of this forum discovered the boot on the front drive shaft was destroyed. So I removed the front driveshaft. However, the "socket" on the transfer case side that the driveshaft fits into was really dirty from the boot not protecting like it should. Can i spray brake cleaner or something else in there to clean it out or does it matter?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
If you get a new head for it that will all be replaced anyways
So don't worry about it
New head is 65 bucks or so and takes just a few minutes to swap out

One place is Driveshaft Parts In Oakland Park Fl that sells them

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I discovered the bolts were crummy so I'm going to clean them up with PBlaster

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drat

So I put the new head on the propshaft and I secured the rubber boot to the shaft. I promise I wasn't playing tug of war with it but now my brand new boot has little tears. What should I put on those tears? The whole reason I got a new head was for the boot being bad. I am so glad I did, the grease in the old head was powder and a piece of the race fell off.

I don't think the new boot was all that high quality to begin with either.

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah I thought propshaft was a funny word too but several places called it that while i was researching this

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So I put the new head on the propshaft and I secured the rubber boot to the shaft. I promise I wasn't playing tug of war with it but now my brand new boot has little tears. What should I put on those tears? The whole reason I got a new head was for the boot being bad. I am so glad I did, the grease in the old head was powder and a piece of the race fell off.

I don't think the new boot was all that high quality to begin with either.

????????????????????
Don't understand as the new head has the boot attached to it and you don't have to really touch it
What are you actually working on? :shrug:

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you put the new head on it comes in three pieces, the bottom part with the boot, the middle part with the ball bearings, and the top cover. The bottom part has the boot attached to it, so you put it on first. After you put it on then you add the other two parts, or so I thought. So I put it on first and then I put on the middle part. I thought I put it on wrong and tried to get the middle part back off, but it was stuck. After I finally got it off and figured out that I had attached it the correct way in the first place, I put it back on and then noticed the tears.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
well time for a new kit then
I was going to say I've done half a dozen with no issues at all

Strike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went ahead and put it together I am hoping I can get at least a little bit of time out of it. I will just keep checking it. I put RTV sealant on there so hopefully that will hold it.

New question, how much grease should I use?

Oh and I forgot to thank you for your continued patience with my n00bness.