Bought our second KJ - Bad news

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in reference to t.s.b. 09-007-06 below is page 1 and 2 of the tsb. it will be important to ask the dealer for the miss fire count at idle. around 10 and you qualify for the tsb, if you are under warranty.

page 1:
http://home.comcast.net/~merchjo/jeep/jeeptsb-page-1.jpg

page 2:
http://home.comcast.net/~merchjo/jeep/jeeptsb-page-2.jpg

p.s. 06's didn't have an egr, and the dealer is going to give you crap about non oem plugs, so you might want to put factory plugs in it before you do battle at the dealer. mike

Last edited:

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called the Jeep dealer they took it too and they stone walled me. They wouldn't give me any information on it because "I was not the one who brought it to them. I was not the customer" Christopher's Chevrolet was the customer.

That just pissed me off. My ******** name is on the warranty and on the title, but I can't have information about my own vehilce? WTF?

I called the Chevy dealer and got told that there was something wrong with cylinder #5. They had to replace some o-ring.

I'm not sure if I buy that, but what can I do as the Jeep dealer won't divulge any information to me. All I can do is wait and see.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the update.let us know more detail when you get it! an o-ring doesn't sound right, because an o-ring doesn't exist in the valvetrain for #5. mike

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing I could think of off the top of my head is a bad o-ring on a fuel injector, but that doesn't make sense either because I didn't smell any raw fuel or see anything wet.

It's the only o-ring that I could think of that would effect just that cylinder and not any others.

The Chevy dealer said the Jeep dealer had to order the part, and if it was a simple o-ring, I would think they would have had one in stock. Something doesn't add up for me here.

I'm wondering if there was a bad seal on the intake or exhaust valve that had to be switched. idk?

As soon as I get it back I'm going to see if there is any visible signs of what they took apart....like a valve cover....intake manifold...whatever.

The salesman at the Chevy dealer really didn't seem to know what he was talking about. He just kept assuring me that it would be fixed and back to me as soon as possible.

That's great, but I'd like to know EXACTLY what had to be done. I'm not that nieve.

Again, I'll keep everyone posted. I'll get as many details as I can and post them.

tumanator

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not intending on hijacking this thread, but I've also had some similar problems. *ATTENTION TO ANYONE BUYING FROM LITHIA* I recently purchased an 05 jeep liberty from Lithia a supposedly well known national chain of Chrysler dealerships.... well they jerk me around for about 2 weeks finding the vehicle i want trying to pawn off everything on their lot to me first, the vehicle i get is coming from colorado. (i live in montana) It takes them a week longer than they promised to get here (they did give me a loaner vehicle in the meantime.) It gets here i take it and the first thing i notice is the cup holder is gone, the entire piece is just gone (it was in the pictures they showed me) not a big deal but i wonder why they took it out. Second i find out between yesterday and today there's a short in the relay or in the radio head unit, it doesn't stay on with the reserve power all the time, it works only once in a while. Then at odd times the whole unit goes black and looses power for a few seconds. After driving the vehicle for only 100 miles after purchase the muffler is loose and has a rattle in it. Very poor customer service, very poor product. Again only 44k miles, and i do have a carfax report, it's supposedly only a one owner vehicle.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
piston ring maybe? if thats the case I would be working to replace the vehicle

Shpotty

Reaction score
You ought to have two warranties working for you. One, the Jeep is still under factory warranty. Two, most dealers will warranty that the vehicle will pass inspection, and in my state at least, if the check engine light is on, it won't pass.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A bit of an update.

Apparently it has nothing to do with an "o-ring". I'm not entirely sure what's going on with the vehicle.

The salesman that sold me the vehicle doesn't know jack about a vehicle. As most salesman, he's not mechanically inclined and doesn't seem to know much about it.

He said they had to take the head to a machine shop for an inspection or the warranty won't pay for the repair. I'm guessing that it was a head gasket failure and they need to check over the head for cracks and distortion.

From my experience, when a head gasket fails on an aluminium head, the head is junk 9 times out 10. The head either gets warped, cracked, or both.

I asked for a detailed invioce on the vehicle.

I'm expressed my concern with the vehicle being reliable after this incident and the salesman said he would stand behind it. If we had any other issues he would put us in another vehicle.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
If we had any other issues he would put us in another vehicle.

I love it when they say that. He means "Trade It In", they'll turn around, sell it again, making even more money off of it, while he gets you another vehicle, which he will claim is "at their cost", which will most likely not be anywhere near their cost.

Salespeople are funny.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Usually they advertise that sort of thing as an incentive.

What ***** more is that the car we traded in(2001 Taurus), they sold already. So it's not like we could get it back. Plus, they only gave us $1000 for a trade in.

Basically, they don't have anything on their lot I would even consider, and if they tore up the loan contract, and gave us $1000 cash, we'd still be getting screwed.

At this point we're just waiting it out. Hopefully it's fixed and done right.

When I bought my '03 Liberty it was great. It runs like a champ and has since the day I got it. Right now it's got almost 82,000 on it.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not that I know of. Usually they advertise that sort of thing as an incentive.

What ***** more is that the car we traded in(2001 Taurus), they sold already. So it's not like we could get it back. Plus, they only gave us $1000 for a trade in.

Basically, they don't have anything on their lot I would even consider, and if they tore up the loan contract, and gave us $1000 cash, we'd still be getting screwed.

At this point we're just waiting it out. Hopefully it's fixed and done right.

When I bought my '03 Liberty it was great. It runs like a champ and has since the day I got it. Right now it's got almost 82,000 on it.

Hopefully they'll find it and it'll be something straight-forward. I'm trying to think of what would cause a constant cylinder misfire-- I tend to think it's not something that would require anything serious like a major engine overhaul-- especially when you're not seeing anything else like smoke, reduced performance, leaks or other codes.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Many of the dealerships here give you a grace period of milage and time to "give it back" for what ever reason.
Do they not offer anything similar over in your neck of the woods?

Some states haw laws that mandate that, some don't. It's not a US law or anything. I doubt many dealerships here would offer something like that.

BjBnet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't agree with you paying anything...even the plugs. If you had been driving with it since the beginning then yes, maintenance is up to you, but this is a vehicle you just bought....you should bring the receipt with you and give it to them.... tell them to pay for the plugs and the repairs (warranty) or the vehicle goes back. Can't hurt to try...
keep us posted

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I don't agree with you paying anything...even the plugs. If you had been driving with it since the beginning then yes, maintenance is up to you, but this is a vehicle you just bought....you should bring the receipt with you and give it to them.... tell them to pay for the plugs and the repairs (warranty) or the vehicle goes back. Can't hurt to try...
keep us posted

I totally agree!
Tell them to take care of it with out any cost to you.
If they they do not agree, then tell them to shove it up their a$$ and give your money back!

Never buy a vehicle from a dealer if it doesn't come from the same manufacture as that the dealer represents.

If I want a Chevy...I won't go to to a Ford dealer!
If I want a Jeep, I'll go to a Jeep, Chrysler dealership.
What were you thinking?

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Never buy a vehicle from a dealer if it doesn't come from the same manufacture as that the dealer represents.

If I want a Chevy...I won't go to to a Ford dealer!
If I want a Jeep, I'll go to a Jeep, Chrysler dealership.
What were you thinking?
I agree with this. The other advantage of buying from a Jeep dealer would be the Certification. 3mo/3000 mile Bumper to Bumper and a 8yr/80k mile Powertrain Warranty, not to mention all new fluids and brakes. Wonderful deal.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was I thinking?

Ummmm......
I was buying from a reputable dealer.......

The nearest Jeep dealer is an hour and a half a way if and if I were to need anything from them I would have to drive that far.....

If I bought a used Jeep from a Jeep dealer then I could expect to pay $1000-2000 more than anywhere else.....

I bought my '03 from an independant dealer(mom and pop place) and it's a great vehicle. No problems at all except for the typical sticky rear caliper issue.

BTW, I'm not really too concerned over the whopping $20 I paid for six spark plugs. I would have replaced anyway.

I actually think the dealer is handling this as best they can. Lets be realistic, I could have said no, I don't want this vehicle and get another one just to have more problems.

Anyway. I'll update when I get the invoice that tell me exactly what they did to it so everyone knows for future reference.

Thanks for all the help people. :D

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyway. I'll update when I get the invoice that tell me exactly what they did to it so everyone knows for future reference.

Thanks for all the help people. :D

cool, i've been waiting to here what the invoice says! and for the record i've bought alot of used cars from a dealer other than their make. and never had a problem!

i agree with you, that the chevy dealer is handling this situation as best as they can! mike