Bought our second KJ - Bad news

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our second KJ today. It's an '06 sport. It's very clean and only had 33633kmi on it.
After we got it home tonight the MIL came on. Thru a OBD II scanner on it and it thru back P0305 - cylinder 5 misfire.

I when we test drove it everything was great. It does have a little bit of a rough idle once it's warmed up, but I didn't think much of it.

At this point I'm going to throw a new set of plugs in it and possible swap a couple coils around to see if I can isolate the problem.

The good news is, it comes with a 90day dealership warranty, and we also purchased a 4year warranty with it. So I think we're covered.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to take it back to the dealer, they would make good on it since it's not even a few days old.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thing you got the extended warranty! Just make sure you dont do anything to it that would let them deny the warranty.. I know youre dying to throw a lift on it and head to a mud hole. :D

jcj7161

Reaction score
I would try to make it pop before the 90 day runs out or take to a Jeep dealer for a good scan. My pre Jeep 00 Focus scanned a #3 cyl error and then blew a head 3 days later......it was either 2G's to fix a buy a new car err Jeep Liberty and here I am

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get it back there right away and let them fix it. No sence in you messing with it since you just got it and have a warranty. Probably just a coil pac but you never know. Save all paperwork from the dealer. Hopefully they will just change the coil pac and it be fixed.

Just curious, is it a jeep dealer??

Let us know what happens.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We picked this Liberty up at our local Chevy dealer. The price was decent so we traded in our Taurus.

Knowing that she would never modify it, or do much with it, I opted for the warranty.

So far the only thing I've done with it is put a scanner on it to see what code/s it was throwing. It showed up with P0305- cylinder 5 misfire. I cleared it and drove it some more and then it threw P0300 - Random/Multiple cylinder misfires.

Then I looked at what the O2 sensors were doing with the scan tool and they were all pretty active, fluctuating back-and-forth as they should.

At that point, I figured I'd change out the spark plugs and see what happened. If they had 33,000kmi on them, that could be it. Besides, it's not like they were going to be covered under warranty or anything.

When I pulled out the plugs out, you could see where they definitely had some miles on them. The electrodes were pretty worn, so I put a set of Bosch Platinum Plus' in it. That's what I'm running my '03 Libby and they seem to be good.

I cleared the codes and took it for a trip to Wal-Mart. One the way home it thru another code. P0300 again. At this point I'm not doing anything else, the dealer is going to fix it. :(

I've got to wonder. If this Liberty has 33,000kmi on it and it had the 7/70,000 then why did the previous owner trade it in? I'm suspecting something is underlying here. Was this a lemon?

Last edited:

jeepkj02

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money into it if it has a warranty. Take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. If its the plugs they probably will charge you because its a maintenance item, but if it turns out to be a coil pack or something more serious they should fix it for no charge.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't put any money into it if it has a warranty. Take it to the dealer tomorrow and see what they say. If its the plugs they probably will charge you because its a maintenance item, but if it turns out to be a coil pack or something more serious they should fix it for no charge.

That's why I did change the plugs. I figured they would charge me if they did it and it may have saved the aggrevation of taking it back.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's what the odometer and paperworks says anyway. I have no other way of proving it.

It's a very clean vehicle. I wouldn't be suprised if it does only have 33,000 on it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just b/c it has low miles doesnt mean its had problems in the past.

People freaked out when the price of gas went up and went in debt to buy another car.. Thats another story though..

Get them to fix it and dont stress about it, its under warranty.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Take it by a Jeep dealer and see if it's still under factory warranty (somewhat likely), let them take a look at it. That could have also possibly been a lease return. Unless you look at the Carfax you'll never know.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend took it to the service department at the Chevy dealer where we bought it. She was there first thing this morning. The service manager gave her shit over it and said, "you could have called before you just came up. We do have a phone, and we are open at 7am."

He said they'd squeeze it in, but then realized they didn't have a scanner that would work on it. Everything they had was for GM specific. He proceeded to scheduled an appointment for us at the nearest Jeep dealer on Dec. 1st.

I wasn't too happy with that answer so I called the gentleman who sold me the Jeep. He wasn't there so I left a voicemail. I wasn't rude or an anything, just letting him know what was going on.

Before he called me back he had an appointment a Jeep dealership that could get it in today and they were going to drive it down(an hour away).

He also provided us a loner car to use as long as we needed to until it was fixed. He said not to worry about it, they would take care of the issue.

I've dealt with their service department before, as I am a former Chevy guy. I've never been impressed, but this salesman was a good egg and has been great to deal with.

I'm confident it will get fixed.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
My girlfriend took it to the service department at the Chevy dealer where we bought it. She was there first thing this morning. The service manager gave her shit over it and said, "you could have called before you just came up. We do have a phone, and we are open at 7am."

He said they'd squeeze it in, but then realized they didn't have a scanner that would work on it. Everything they had was for GM specific. He proceeded to scheduled an appointment for us at the nearest Jeep dealer on Dec. 1st.

I wasn't too happy with that answer so I called the gentleman who sold me the Jeep. He wasn't there so I left a voicemail. I wasn't rude or an anything, just letting him know what was going on.

Before he called me back he had an appointment a Jeep dealership that could get it in today and they were going to drive it down(an hour away).

He also provided us a loner car to use as long as we needed to until it was fixed. He said not to worry about it, they would take care of the issue.

I've dealt with their service department before, as I am a former Chevy guy. I've never been impressed, but this salesman was a good egg and has been great to deal with.

I'm confident it will get fixed.

Sounds like you are getting somewhere with your rig.
I would however report the "Service Manager" to his superior for that line of bull he spit at your girl friend.
Oh, if they don't fix it, report it to the better business bureau.

Treyz02KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought our second KJ today. It's an '06 sport. It's very clean and only had 33633kmi on it.
After we got it home tonight the MIL came on. Thru a OBD II scanner on it and it thru back P0305 - cylinder 5 misfire.

I when we test drove it everything was great. It does have a little bit of a rough idle once it's warmed up, but I didn't think much of it.

At this point I'm going to throw a new set of plugs in it and possible swap a couple coils around to see if I can isolate the problem.

The good news is, it comes with a 90day dealership warranty, and we also purchased a 4year warranty with it. So I think we're covered.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to take it back to the dealer, they would make good on it since it's not even a few days old.

This is the issue mine was having, only i had the problem on 2 cylinders. It was told to me the only resolution for the issue (after attempting injectors and plugs/wires) that the motor must be replaced.. !?!?:eek:

hope the warranty has you covered.

adamkrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep us informed, I've had an ongoing p300 & p306 code for a couple of years now, It's not the plugs or coil packs for mine, It runs really good with no noticeable misses.

Anyway I was told it was most likely carbon buildup from the dealer before they went out of buisness last year, I have 58k on my 04 now and don't know if the 7/70 warranty covers it...

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you are getting somewhere with your rig.
I would however report the "Service Manager" to his superior for that line of bull he spit at your girl friend.
Oh, if they don't fix it, report it to the better business bureau.

Yeah, she was pretty unhappy. She said she's going to report him.

On the other hand, we are also going to commend the salesmen for making sure we were taken care of.

It goes both ways.

Keep us informed, I've had an ongoing p300 & p306 code for a couple of years now, It's not the plugs or coil packs for mine, It runs really good with no noticeable misses.

Anyway I was told it was most likely carbon buildup from the dealer before they went out of buisness last year, I have 58k on my 04 now and don't know if the 7/70 warranty covers it...

I've been doing a ton of research on this. There are a whole slew of things it could be.

• TSB 09-007-06 (Engine - MIL ON/Occasional Misfire At Idle)
  • It could be an EGR valve that is stuck open allowing to much exhaust gas into the intake charge
  • water in the gas
  • vacuum leak
  • bad cam sensor
  • faulty fuel system
  • faulty O2 senor
  • And One person had a cam alignment pin slightly sheer

In my case, the two codes it has thrown is P0305(cylinder 5 misfire) and P0300(random/multiple cyclinder misfire).

If I were going to start looking at things, it would focus on things that would effect the engine as a whole, not individual cylinders.

I will definitely keep you guys posted on this.

I have hope they will get it fixed. I just hope it doesn't get to be an ongoing issue.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.