Blacking out lights/tints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vranes17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If i wanted to black out/ tint my lights on my '02 KJ ( referring to the orange lights where blinkers are located, in the front) If i used electrical tape on the inside of the lights. 1) is this even possible and 2) will the tape melt inside 3) any legal issues?

AMPlibby06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would imagine that electrical tape wont let any light through. I tinted my signals and my markers (the little lenses under the signals on the 06) by taking them off, leaving the actual unit assembled, just taken off the car, and applying VHT niteshade, like tommud said. Its like.. $10 a can, around 15 shipped. All you do is tape off what you dont want tinted, and spray the outside of the signal, letting it dry between coats. Anymore than 3 coats and it'll probably be too dark. Looks the best with clear signals, so you dont end up with a dark yellow signal. BUT, they dont make clear signals for my KJ :( at least I dont think. Heres a pic:

album.php

Tuneberg

Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the orange from the signals and make them clear? I also have an '06 and can't buy the clear signals.

lilblkblt04

Reaction score
Have you guys had any chipping, fading or peeling problems? I want to smoke my turn signals and rear brake lights but I'd rather pay the money for it to be done professionally than have to keep painting them with the Nightshades stuff.

Ryan

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dosnt chip ive had nightshades on my talon for years even the headlights

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Just a word of warning, but check with your local Department of Motor Vehicles and make sure it is legal to tint the turn signals/front marker lights, head and tail lights.
I was ticketed and fined $296.00 for having smoked lens' on one of my other cars in addition to having to report back to the Police within 24 hours to prove that I had returned them back to factory specification so as not to be in violation again!
Just my ¢.02 worth!

Ryan

wheeee32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want the Niteshades stuff to last longer just hit a few coats of clearcoat on whatever your tinting and it should last a very long time.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to remove the orange from the signals and make them clear? I also have an '06 and can't buy the clear signals.

No - some vehicles have a clear "shell" cover and then an inner colored filter. My Grand Prix was like this. You could break up the inner one with a screwdriver and pull the pieces out to clear it.

The KJ is just a solid piece of colored plastic. The only way to have clear is to manufacture some in clear.

Tuneberg

Reaction score
Has anyone tinted the clear sections of the taillight? If so, does it look good? Is it worth doing or would I be better off buying pre-smoked taillights?

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
give me a little time to finish my lift then ill tint my stuff and take pics for all

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
I'd personally stay away from tinting any headlight,
tail light, or marker lights.
Around here in the city I live in, most people don't
even see stock tail lights or brake lights as they rear
end you at forty miles per hour!
Let alone see you with tinted/smoked lens' which diminish the light output!
Just my ¢.02 worth!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are mine i just got done with them, i like them really dark, I also did the tails i will get a picture of that in a little bit, they got some mud already
You must be registered for see images attach

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Here are mine i just got done with them, i like them really dark, I also did the tails i will get a picture of that in a little bit, they got some mud already
You must be registered for see images attach

It does look really trick!
The only problem I have is that they do not let as much light transmit through the lens!

Last edited:

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's the point?
At least replace the lamps with brighter ones (if available) to compensate for lack of light. I have been planning to tint my tail lights because actually light (clear) ones are even worse than all red.
Stock tail lights are actually very bright, I love them, only I wish they were all red instead of ugly yellow in the middle (I like 05+ ones).

So all you do is just spray? Do they sell RED shades?

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
thats kinda the point isnt it?

Sure, if you don't want to be seen by oncoming traffic!
Or from behind for that matter!
Remember, if somebody does hit you and then makes a statement that they never saw your turn signals or brake lights, and your insurance company (and insurance investigator) sees tinted/blacked out marker/tail lights, they can hold you 100% at fault!
A big price to pay for "Cool" looks" in my opinion!
But what ever, it's you vehicle and your safe driving record and higher insurance rates that you and we all have to pay for at the end of the day!
So, that is my point!
And, one more thing...
Yes, it does look cool, I agree!
But I look at at tinted lighting as a safety issue!
People will strap on extra lighting so that the driver can see better at night, weather going foreward or back ward!
Yet contradict their lighting for the sake of coolness and diminish turn signals and marker and brake lighting so others can't see them properly!
It's all the other moron drivers out there in front and behind me that f cked me up with stock factory lighting and brighter light bulbs!
So, I'll pass in the name of visibility!

Just my opinion is all.

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is that they do let as much light transmit
sorry guy i must have read this wrong, i thought he was saying he wanted to cut down the light coming out. Ive tested my lights and they are still really bright. i would never want to make anything dangerous. i just answered that wrong. The nightshades i used turned out awesome and they dont cut much of the output of light when they are on

Last edited: