Bilstein pre build?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
Hey all. 1st post here. Working on Ole Blue. 2008 KK ltd 4wd. Has been in family since new. Has 123k on the clock. Stock and OEM equivalent.

I havent found the answer to this. I apologize if my search query missed it.

Its time to lift. Will be going with the Bilstein 5100 and OME springs front and rear.

The question is what parts do i need to prebuild the front coil over assemblies before dismantling the old parts? Id just like to go out with the old & in with the new. Im at the age / stage where using old parts doesn’t make sense.

If anyone has a listing of parts / #s id appreciate it.

See you out on the trail.
Adam.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Springs and shocks are all you need if the mounting hardware is in good shape.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
FYI the Bilstein 5100 kit is not true coilovers. It functions like a spacer lift, which will come with a bunch of issues. Go with OME springs and regular Bilstein front shocks, as klc says above.

Bilstein even adverizes this kit as a spacer kit alternative. The reason it is is because the kit preloads the springs (keeps them in a squished state) to get the extra height, like a spacer lift would do. Spacer lifts in Liberties are known to have a rough ride and wear out springs quicker. A true spring lift kit like OME would get you a much better riding Jeep, more articulation off road, and your springs, shocks, and bushings will live longer.

Last edited:

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
Good points. So when you say regular Bilstien, which do you mean. The 4600s??

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe so. OME also makes good quality shocks. For the rear you will need the L longer shocks to accommodate the lift, but the front works fine with regular length shocks.

For bump stops, you can call Teraflex to order extended front ones, even though they are not on the website. For rear bump stops, you can bolt a pair of hockey pucks to the lower spring perch on each side.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
He will need the upper shock mounts to pre-build the front stuff.
If he can take his old spring & shock assemblies into a garage, they can reassemble the springs and shocks using the original top plates. Much better than using a DIY spring compressor (very dangerous), but granted, not as convenient as having everything pre-assembled.

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
I believe so. OME also makes good quality shocks. For the rear you will need the L longer shocks to accommodate the lift, but the front works fine with regular length shocks.

For bump stops, you can call Teraflex to order extended front ones, even though they are not on the website. For rear bump stops, you can bolt a pair of hockey pucks to the lower spring perch on each side.
Ive seen that about the bump stop / pucks. I have some at home. Standard black pucks. Not the orange practice ones.

Ill check in w/ terraflex. I didn’t see them on the site.

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
If he can take his old spring & shock assemblies into a garage, they can reassemble the springs and shocks using the original top plates. Much better than using a DIY spring compressor (very dangerous), but granted, not as convenient as having everything pre-assembled.
That was the plan. ✔️

sleazy rider

Retired moto tech and gearhead
Reaction score

I’m just going with his statement and agree. New is normally better than a part with over 100k on it if you’re rebuilding the system.

He. Could also take all the new stuff to a shop and have the same thing done.

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
I’m just going with his statement and agree. New is normally better than a part with over 100k on it if you’re rebuilding the system.

He. Could also take all the new stuff to a shop and have the same thing done.
That was my original plan. I will be sure to have all the parts from top to bottom. Clevis will most likely be only part reused.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Buy top plates, upper and lower isolators , 4600 Bilstein shocks , 927s OME, Teraflex front bumpstops
That way you can carry all in, have them assemble everything then drive home and install
isolators are already several years old so replace them

AFT2008KK

Reaction score
Buy top plates, upper and lower isolators , 4600 Bilstein shocks , 927s OME, Teraflex front bumpstops
That way you can carry all in, have them assemble everything then drive home and install
Thank you for the shopping list. I appreciate your input @tommudd. I’ve read lots of your posts & answers here and elsewhere that always are on target. All noted.

02projectkj

Reaction score
Would you recommend the 927s even if you’re running completely stock front setup with no extra weight? Or would 926s be better in that scenario?

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would you recommend the 927s even if you’re running completely stock front setup with no extra weight? Or would 926s be better in that scenario?
I'm running 927 on mine, no fancy bumper or winch, it does have stock skid plates, but they don't weigh much. It is a very smooth ride, not over sprung at all.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have 927’s up front, a vast improvement over the worn-out originals.

02projectkj

Reaction score
Is the 927/948 combo the most common here? I’ll be running minimal extra weight. Stock bumpers, no winch, minimal recovery gear. Just larger rims/tires but not ridiculously large. Also, it seems like the n132l shocks have been discontinued. Is there an equally good option for rear shocks?

Latest posts

Members online