Bilstein 5100 Shocks on the Rear Installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MIA_02Liberty

Reaction score
Alright everyone today I took on the task of installing shocks on my KJ. I decided to go with Bilstein shocks as I have heard nothing but good things about them. Having a spacer kit installed over 80,000 miles with the original shocks it was time to upgrade the shock anyways.

Being I have a 2.5 +/- inch lift on th KJ, I decided to upgrade the shocks and go with the following shocks:

Bilstein 4600 Shocks 24-139168 (Front)
Bilstein 5100 Shocks 24-185660 (Rear)

The reason I purchased the 5100' is due to the lift and being they are a bit longer they will not bottom out like the stock size shocks will.

Shocks I had on the KJ were extremely worn down and you can see it from the way it sat. Here is a pic of the front upgrade to the Bilstein shocks and it sits way higher than the rear which both sat evenly before install.

You must be registered for see images attach

When it comes to the rear shocks, I noticed that they are way smaller then the mounting brackets on the chassis and the axle. As far as being able to install these shocks on the KJ, how can I go about doing so? Do you need knew shock bushings or sleeves? Can you just use washers to fill in the gaps? Whats the best way to get these installed?

Your help is always appreciated!

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jeepin by al sells a bushing kit for rear bilsteins. Fits well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reads like its still the spacer. If its been on there 80,000 miles I'd guess those springs are dead! And those new shocks will be soon to follow.

Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree. If you're running a spacer, just chuck it and throw in lifted shocks and coils for about the same price. That way you'll have lift, a better ride, and new suspension all around.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
PLUS
shocks do not give any lift
only springs give the lift
shocks control the wheels from bouncing up and down
So to the OP
your springs are toast new shocks will not help you any
and yes JBA has the kits

MIA_02Liberty

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies about purchasing springs for the KJ if I was replacing the shocks. All springs were replaced up front when I did the install and the rear will be replaced as well along with the new shocks.

I am still stuck on my original question for this post as to what can I do about the bushing on the 5100's being to small for mounting on the KJ. What can I use or do to fill in the gaps on the mounting brackets.

VAhlene

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cut the metal sleeve out of stock shocks when I put my Bilsteins on. It was a little bit of a pain but once you get them cut you, clean the sleeve up really good with a wire wheel and mine slid right in the new shocks bushing with a little lube and have been absorbing bumps ever since.