BFG A/T not rated for snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ran the Destinations in a 245-70 two winters did pretty good
next winter ran the Kumho KL78s in a 255-70 did pretty good as well
this winter 265-75-16 Goodyear Dura-tracs, they have the little snow emblem on them so we'll see ;)

Boiler

Reaction score
You're going to get your best snow and ice performance out of an actual winter tire. Some offroad tires and all season tires are better than others for this, but none will be as good as a winter tire.

Winter tires are often soft and squishy though, and will only last a few winters probably, especially if you're on dry pavement often.

I'm taking the same route others have mentioned, with dedicated tire & rim combo's for dedicated applications. Soft 8's and Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3's for november thru march, high quality all season tires with my aluminum renny wheels (don't like to use in salt) for the rest of the year, and finally I've got another set of rims for putting on some off road tires next year for occasional use.

Tire rack compared studless winter tires with studded winter tires and all season tires on ice and the studless winter tires were clearly the better choice, due to their siping. See this test result:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=94

See this for siping info: http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos

Finally, Check out the Blizzak DM-Z3's, they are on sale for about $80 each because they have a new model out that replaces them, the DM-V1, which looks basically the same. Here is the DM-Z3 on closeout. TONS of great reviews. This site isn't full of cherry reviews on all tires either. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...R6BZDMZ3&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes

Here are some pics of DM-Z3's I bought and am waiting to put on. Check out the siping in the last 2 pictures. Basically just tons of tiny cuts.
You must be registered for see images attach

Boiler

Reaction score
I think the key is to buy winter tires, accept that they won't last long if used in partially dry conditions, and enjoy the hell out of the snow!

Even my cooper discoverer CTS all seasons have a pretty good snow rating, due to their good amount of siping. Nowhere near as much as the DM-Z3's though. Even so, they were the best tire in snow I've ever had by a long shot. Keep in mind I've always driven cars, including a camaro on Eagle GT's, so my previous experience in snow is kind of a joke. Once I got the jeep I read a ton of articles though, and got to where I am now. I can't wait for snow this year...

Boiler

Reaction score
These blizzaks are supposedly good in deep snow, packed snow, and ice. Last year I got to drive down a 2 lane road with about 10 inches of snow with no tire tracks in it. OMG it was fun. Even the CTS were little champs in it. I'm almost giddy at the thought of doing it with my new ones.

Only issue might be that I'll be able to stop considerably faster than most anyone that will be behind me...

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie is of the opinion that

If he feels he needs a 2nd set of tires JUST for winter

The tires he has are fail

Boiler

Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie is of the opinion that

If he feels he needs a 2nd set of tires JUST for winter

The tires he has are fail

Opinions and ********...everyone has one :D

I have no problem with someone selecting one tire to do the best for multiple uses. In the same respect I'd think you wouldn't have issues with other people selecting multiple tires to do the best in different applications. It's only going to extend the life of each, as they'll be used less each year.

Tell me your AT's handle pavement, wet & dry, better than my CTS do. Or that they'll do better in snow than the blizzaks. Please?

I'm more interested in best performance for what I do than I am in having "man tires" as you put it. Plus I've got 2 toddlers in the back seat. I prefer to keep them as safe as possible rather than going for an agressive look.

EDIT: plus I really like the thought of owning a jeep snowmobile...

Last edited:

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie does not have AT's:)

These Coopers ThunderbirdJunkie has, though, performed fantastic in the snow for him before, and they shall do so this time around as well.

And it ain't about looks, it's about off road performance:) If they weren't safe, and didn't have decent wet traction, they wouldn't be on this TIRE GUY'S Jeep ;)

Boiler

Reaction score
ThunderbirdJunkie does not have AT's:)

These Coopers ThunderbirdJunkie has, though, performed fantastic in the snow for him before, and they shall do so this time around as well.

And it ain't about looks, it's about off road performance:) If they weren't safe, and didn't have decent wet traction, they wouldn't be on this TIRE GUY'S Jeep ;)

I don't doubt that they are "safe" tires and have decent wet traction. I just liked that the CTS had good dry traction, excellent wet, long wear, low noise, and good handling. I have / had no intention of using them offroad to any serious extent. They are my road tires.

So we bought what we bought for different and acceptable reasons. I can live with that.

One thing I wonder is how well the Blizzaks would do on mild trails that are snow covered. I worry that they'd get torn apart due to softness. My guess is as long as there is plenty of snow the'd be pretty good.

Last edited:

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
One thing I wonder is how well the Blizzaks would do on mild trails that are snow covered. I worry that they'd get torn apart due to softness. My guess is as long as there is plenty of snow the'd be pretty good.

Good question Boiler!

I started a new thread regarding "Snow tyres" and off roading.

I didn't post it here because I didn't want to stray off topic!

Cheers
Ry'

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well i think its clear. Im going to get the blizzaks DMZ3s for this winter. It makes the most sense. That siping info was very helpful. Thanks for the pics! And im going to have two sets of rims. It was my original plan and i think it will work pretty nicely. I found a set of five factory KJ rims for $100 on craigs. Going to get them tuesday then order the tires next month. This could be a fun winter, afterall! Thanks for all the info guys.