BFG A/T not rated for snow?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pro Comp AT's are a good snow tire. The General Grabber AT2 is also studable...

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...6ATAKORWL&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

It says they are not rated for severe snow. Seeing that my jeep is only 2WD, i need something with some aggression in the snow. Is this because the snow can't escape the tread? And Why are the snow tires better? I would think the A/T's would grip better.

I had a set of BFG's AT in a 245/75/16 Load E

Let me say this about that......I would never have another set of those tires again....especially in the snow. I found in greasy, salty round snow that the treads would not clean out and you were riding on two layers of snow...1 on the tire and 1 on the road surface.

Edit: I also found the rubber got really hard in cold weather -25 C and below. Did I mention how much I disliked these tires. (blarg)

I think Destinations or Bridgestone Dueller would be a good choice of AT.

Last edited:

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a set of BFG's AT in a 245/75/16 Load E

Let me say this about that......I would never have another set of those tires again....especially in the snow. I found in greasy, salty round snow that the treads would not clean out and you were riding on two layers of snow...1 on the tire and 1 on the road surface.

Edit: I also found the rubber got really hard in cold weather -25 C and below. Did I mention how much I disliked these tires. (blarg)

I think Destinations or Bridgestone Dueller would be a good choice of AT.
Yeah Firestone's Destination A/T is highly rated on tirerack. So are Michelin's LTX A/T2.

AtoB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
how does it vary from sizes with the same tread design?

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
M+S rating is one standard, while the "snowflake system" is a higher standard. Many M+S tires do well in the winter, but lack the snowflake. The snowflake deal is still pretty new.

I will say that the BridgestoneDMZ3 or something or other pure winter tires that I put on the Grand Caravan, along with traction control/ESP, makes it a fantastic snow/ice vehicle. That snowflake rating must mean something.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A. deal i couldnt pass up. B. put a lot of time into trying to find a manual ****** with four wheel drive and couldnt seem to find anything. im sure it exists but my old car was loosing pieces with every inch. It just happened to fall into my lap at that time. Like i said, it was a hell of a deal.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ive got my eye on the blizzak dmz3s and the firestone destination. what would you guys reccomend? any experience with these in a 2WD situation?

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Think about whether you want to go through deep snow or if you need grip for icy surfaces. Likely, ice grip for braking and turning. So get winter tires with lots of sipes, or cuts in the tread so that they flex and grip. Good winter tires will also be made of a softer compound to stay flexible. Bridgestone Blizzaks are about the best but wear quickly. I put summers and snows on different rims, many folks in Canada do. I've had Michelin X-Ice for 6 years now, about 50,000 km (30,000 miles), I put them on at Halloween and take them off at the end of March. Now that they've worn they don't grip as well as when they were new, this is their last winter coming up. Will also try something different than the summer Michelin Cross-Terrains next.

incommando

Banned
Reaction score
Yep. If you want a year-round tire, the DM-Z3 is not it. Destinations would work year-round. Or you could get the Kumho KL78's, which memebrs have had very good luck in using. Summit Racing, down the street from you, has good deals on the Kumho's.

KJcleveland

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's actually what I was planning on doing. Having two sets of wheels that is. I found a deal on craigslist for some factory kj wheels and I was going to throw the new tires on there. Come spring I would need to decide what I want to do. I think the blizzaks are the way to go though. I do a lot of driving so it makes sense to just be able to swap tires when need
be. Thanks for all the speedy responses!

TommyT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah Firestone's Destination A/T is highly rated on tirerack. So are Michelin's LTX A/T2.

Run Firestone Destinations A/Ts on my KJ and had Yoko GeolandersA/Ts on my Blazer, would recomend either for snow. Living in Michigan I drive in a lot of it! Both tires have outstanding snow performance with the Firestone being my preffered. Both are rated better than the BFG and are less expensive!