Best Tire Pressure?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the best Tire Pressure to have on 235/70/16's Goodyear SR-A'
s? I know the door says 32 but will that give me the best gas mileage? :-k
Any info would be great! Thanks!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score

:) I keep mine at just below Max. Max is 44, I keep them at 38. It rides nice.

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with the 38, but run mine at 40. But who knows how accurate my el cheapo gauge is.

06LibertySSE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! \:D/ Im gonna inflate mine a little bit to see if it helps.... I think 6-7 lbs more on each tire will make a big difference! Thanks!

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
06LibertySSE said:
Thanks guys! \:D/ Im gonna inflate mine a little bit to see if it helps.... I think 6-7 lbs more on each tire will make a big difference! Thanks!
'

Unless you are going for long rides. A few times I pumped 40 in them, and went riding for about 2 hrs.. They were up to 42 on the highway and I stared cold sweats.. One day I even pulled over and let some air out. 8-[ :) I think 36-38 cold will be fine. Check your Max PSI on your tires, though.

AZKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run 35 psi on the pavement and 15 psi off road in my TJ, which has 31" BFG M/T's on 15 x 10.5 wheels... and knock on wood, I have yet to pop a bead.

I just put on Fuzion XTI tires 245/65-17 (a Bridgestone/Firestone brand) on the KJ. The next time I take the it out on a trail, I'll start out at 25 psi and then drop it down to 20 psi and see how the sidewalls hold up. I don't think I'll go any lower than that since the sidewalls aren't as strong as the BFG's.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Higher PSI can give better MPG but at the cost of wearing the centers faster and sometimes the MPG difference isn't there at all since you are physically making the tires bigger(bigger overall diameter) so your odometer will be off as well as your speedo(depends on how far over 32-33psi you go).I actually get better MPG if I drop my MT/R's to 28 psi compared to the 38psi I run all the time since I really need 4.30 gears to be spot on with the power like when stock.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much difference can there be by inflating tires. I think overall it should be very minimal?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
How much difference can there be by inflating tires. I think overall it should be very minimal?

I agree. Make sure your tread is flat on the pavement and your tires will wear better. If you over inflate them and wear the centers down you will need to replace them sooner, offsetting any miniscule gas mileage difference, and tires aren't cheap.

We all bought heavy, non-aerodynamic jeeps, and although we all would like better gas mileage, there's not really too much we can do other than get a small aerodynamic 4 ****** that gets 35+ mpg for a DD..

AZKJ......FWIW don't worry about 25 pounds off road. I had a rock leak off road and when I got to pavement I had 17 pounds left and the tire (POS Goodyear HP-before I changed them) at least stayed on. I pumped it up and got it home and plugged it. And your tires are better.

Dave

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
We used to chalk up the tire and run a straight line to see if it was over/under inflated, but I guess with my evic, which i rely %90 (%10 is when I change the psi, I use my $10 gauge) those times are passed..

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:
We used to chalk up the tire and run a straight line to see if it was over/under inflated, but I guess with my evic, which i rely %90 (%10 is when I change the psi, I use my $10 gauge) those times are passed..

Yes, and you can still do that with the chalk.

Dave

Jeger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2...or 3 i guess on the chalk trick. And then keep an eye on tread depth.

Tires of the same size can actually vary even just between brands. And there will be a range that you can stay in and still get even wear, I run towards the high end for mileage, maybe 1-2 MPG better and better handling, which is more important to me.

At 40 Lbs our stock wrangler st's are wearing pretty evenly, and im sure they would wear about the same at 38 ro 36 Lbs, but It gets a little mushy in the corners the lower you go, but thats with the ST's which suck anyhow.