Best quality/reliable batteries currently on the market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took me a long time to try one, but Wally's EverStart Maxx line. Got them now in all my fleet. 2 kj, 3500 van, chrysler van, cobalt. Warranty is decent, prorated better than a-zone or a-ap. Next victim will be my duramax when his batteries go bad.

Best part is being able to replace under terms, even if away from home. Save that receipt tag in the phone's pictures!

edward678

Reaction score
Took me a long time to try one, but Wally's EverStart Maxx line. Got them now in all my fleet. 2 kj, 3500 van, chrysler van, cobalt. Warranty is decent, prorated better than a-zone or a-ap. Next victim will be my duramax when his batteries go bad.

Best part is being able to replace under terms, even if away from home. Save that receipt tag in the phone's pictures!
Been buying Auto Zone batteries for 20 plus years. All have passed what there warranty specifies and usually longer. Improper use of literally anything can make it go south earlier than designed. Noah, the Ark guy, was said to live to be 950 years old and he survived a big flood, so i've heard, as I was not around. Maintenance is the key. You can keep up with your Auto Zone Rewards program and keep updated with deals on your home computer and / or your phone. They ask for your name and more to help them and you. Sure, put your paper receipt somewhere safe. You can go into any store and ask to have your charging system checked for free. But in the past and maybe still they have to disconnect battery or shut off vehicle to " test " battery. In US, 6000 stores.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Happy that someone has good luck with the Zone junk
Ive been burnt so many times people buying parts there and then a few weeks/ months they come back and upset with me due to cheap junk parts going bad . To help folks out I usually end up eating some of the labor just to help them out , and yes batteries included .
I run Interstate that is it , with over 150,000 dealers nationwide,

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Had an Odyssey for a bit now. Headlamps still dim a hair when the subwoofer hits.
Can be expected under larger loads. Alternator tries to keep up, however Most of the electrical in jeep wiring is a little thin.
It should be a bit better if RPM is 1500 or more. Running a Thicker ground wire from battery negative to steel fender may help.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Can be expected under larger loads. Alternator tries to keep up, however Most of the electrical in jeep wiring is a little thin.
It should be a bit better if RPM is 1500 or more...
Yep! Only noticeable at idle, and barely so with the Odyssey and white headlamps. Looked like disco mode with the abused interstate and what ever bargain basement yellow bulbs were in it.

edward678

Reaction score
Happy that someone has good luck with the Zone junk
Ive been burnt so many times people buying parts there and then a few weeks/ months they come back and upset with me due to cheap junk parts going bad . To help folks out I usually end up eating some of the labor just to help them out , and yes batteries included .
I run Interstate that is it , with over 150,000 dealers nationwide,
The 05 Liberty I recently bought from someone a couple miles down the road had an interstate. He told me where he bought it so, off I go. So 5.7 miles later. Local independant ANDY'S PARTS appr. 2500 sf floor display area. I think about same behind sales counter. Very obese salesman sitting behind counter leaning up against wall, arms narrowly able to cross. Started to ask if he could tell me how old the battery was. Me: " I have the name and phone number of the person who bought it from you". "We go off the receipt. Were not that advanced here". " I'm not looking to abuse warranty, I just want to know, if at all possible". " WE NEED THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT " All I could do was drop my head and slowly walk out. Less than 2 miles Auto Zone. Two, pleasant, alert, good humored 50 something men seamed eager to help. " I want a $100 battery " said I. After giving Jeeps vitals I was offered a $70 battery with a three month warranty , but was told that's what some people buy when they are just trying to sell the vehicle. Next up a $100 battery with 1 year replacement. FRP. NO pro-rated. " And we will install for you now for free". Bada-bing , bada-boom. Other than the guy installing getting some of the battery terminal anti-corrosion jelly on his fingers, could not be more professional. I consider a battery a " consumable ". It's like gas , oil , wipers , tires , you get it. But preventative maintenance is still top in my list.
I've ridden but never owned a horse, but I think I would have liked to. Heck I'm only 60, maybe I still could.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yep! Only noticeable at idle, and barely so with the Odyssey and white headlamps. Looked like disco mode with the abused interstate and what ever bargain basement yellow bulbs were in it.
I don't know if you missed it, but I Edited post # 24 to include "Running a Thicker ground wire from battery negative to steel fender may help"
I do believe the use of 10 gauge wire from battery negative to fender & one going to ground strap, may make quite a difference.
The ground straps can corrode & are quite thin, check them all. It can improve charging as well.

Attachments

• Thicker Gauge Grounds .jpg
    Thicker Gauge Grounds .jpg
    759.8 KB · Views: 7

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brilliant! **** why did I not think off that.

Autozone batteries have done fine for me. Not as good as the Wall world battery, though, and the Wally world battery is cheaper.

FYI I hate going to Wallmart. I do not mind driving to the back of the store and walking in the auto service door for batteries, oil, etc. They have a decent supply of fluids for the boat too. But walking in the front door to shop is like a 1X every 5 year thing. I will order delivery from them though.

Last edited by a moderator:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The 05 Liberty I recently bought from someone a couple miles down the road had an interstate. He told me where he bought it so, off I go. So 5.7 miles later. Local independant ANDY'S PARTS appr. 2500 sf floor display area. I think about same behind sales counter. Very obese salesman sitting behind counter leaning up against wall, arms narrowly able to cross. Started to ask if he could tell me how old the battery was. Me: " I have the name and phone number of the person who bought it from you". "We go off the receipt. Were not that advanced here". " I'm not looking to abuse warranty, I just want to know, if at all possible". " WE NEED THE ORIGINAL RECEIPT " All I could do was drop my head and slowly walk out. Less than 2 miles Auto Zone. Two, pleasant, alert, good humored 50 something men seamed eager to help. " I want a $100 battery " said I. After giving Jeeps vitals I was offered a $70 battery with a three month warranty , but was told that's what some people buy when they are just trying to sell the vehicle. Next up a $100 battery with 1 year replacement. FRP. NO pro-rated. " And we will install for you now for free". Bada-bing , bada-boom. Other than the guy installing getting some of the battery terminal anti-corrosion jelly on his fingers, could not be more professional. I consider a battery a " consumable ". It's like gas , oil , wipers , tires , you get it. But preventative maintenance is still top in my list.
I've ridden but never owned a horse, but I think I would have liked to. Heck I'm only 60, maybe I still could.
Happy you got a battery
I will not give the Zone one dollar anymore
Plus you must of gotten lucky you found someone there that smiled LOL
I never have , last few times I was in one it seemed that I was more trouble than me being there paying their wages
I just stopped by a local gas station ( still full service doing service work ) near me and asked the owner what he would do if you had of come in , quickly he replied " Put in a new one of course after seeing receipt and what warranty was "
I own a horse, plus cattle , and way past 60 , so go buy one LOL

Rasfetch

Reaction score
I have an Everstart MAXX battery from Walmart. The battery was purchased in 2018, and I've had zero issues with it. I also live in Phoenix, AZ, and the extreme heat is tough on car batteries here.

The below video is a pretty decent comparison of a lot of popular batteries on the market.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

edward678

Reaction score
Happy you got a battery
I will not give the Zone one dollar anymore
Plus you must of gotten lucky you found someone there that smiled LOL
I never have , last few times I was in one it seemed that I was more trouble than me being there paying their wages
I just stopped by a local gas station ( still full service doing service work ) near me and asked the owner what he would do if you had of come in , quickly he replied " Put in a new one of course after seeing receipt and what warranty was "
I own a horse, plus cattle , and way past 60 , so go buy one LOL
Happy with the zone. Maybe they are on something. Whatever it is I like them. " Any zone can look you up your purchases , your in our system now buddy ". Kindness and attitude shown / kindness and attitude reciprocated.
Do you shoe your own horse?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Used to , then state moved me over 5 hours away to manage an office , so had a friend shoe her from then on
Doesn't cost me anything since we've always traded back and forth plus I've almost forgotten how LOL

edward678

Reaction score
A psychiatrist told me "You never forget, you just can't remember at times".

WyldWolf777

Reaction score

Really can't beat them for the price & value I say

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
I have an Everstart MAXX battery from Walmart. The battery was purchased in 2018, and I've had zero issues with it. I also live in Phoenix, AZ, and the extreme heat is tough on car batteries here.

The below video is a pretty decent comparison of a lot of popular batteries on the market.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Texas here and well used to the extreme heat! Glad The MAXX is holding up...

Okok

Reaction score
Best quality & Reliable batteries today are AGM style "Absorb Glass Mat" which are deep cycle, & tend to last 7-10 years.
As sealed, you will not see battery terminal corrosion with an AGM battery.
Napa AGM, Exide Edge, North Star, and Odyssey are some examples. They are more expensive than typical lead acid batteries.
Optima spherical round cell AGM have less plate coverage. Their quality in not the best.
What is the best? Odyssey and can last 10 years+ if you are willing to spend more & have the best.
Odyssey AGM last so long because they start with new pure lead, & will never suffer an internal catastrophic failure. They only very slowly degrade over time.
My Odyssey PC-1500 34/78 dual terminal is now 10 years old and is still reading 750 CCA.
Not all agm batteries are deep cycle nor are they immune to corrosion at the terminals. They are superior to conventional or sealed liquid filled lead acid though.

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Happy with the zone. Maybe they are on something. Whatever it is I like them. " Any zone can look you up your purchases , your in our system now buddy ". Kindness and attitude shown / kindness and attitude reciprocated.
O'Rilley Auto Parts has a similar program. Those folks have saved my skin numerous times with warranty parts when I'm 1k miles from home. I once got a 1970 VW bug I pulled out of a field for 100$ and thendrove it coast to coast because I could call in parts ahead and install them at the next Store along my route.
Side note, I have a pretty significant horse phobia.

NavyStore

Reaction score
Interstate and not from Walmart/ Costco etc
From a dealer
I have nothing but for over 25 years plus and all lasting well beyond what they should have
Even use them at work on several pieces of equipment
AGREED! Plus, you can often get discounts (military, Veteran, employer, etc...) or get one on close out and save even more. I have Interstate batteries in all my vehicles now. I run the largest one I can in my Liberty (we go to the drive-in theater, and that extra power is great) and the one in my RV is almost a decade old now and still runs fine. I use a pair of the cheapest 12V batteries from Interstate for my RVs house batteries, and I can get 4 years out of them when other brands gave about three.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Ive even got Interstates in our fold up bleachers at work
We have 5 sets that the front section folds up over the rear section, each holds about 300 plus people and weigh in over 17000 lbs
The batteries ( one in each bleacher ) runs a hydraulic pump which raises and lowers them
Before I started there they were buying batteries yearly
Now these are going on the forth year and still test out like brand new ( just tested them Wednesday )
Plus we rent them out so they get opened and closed several times a year

Latest posts

Members online