Best quality/reliable batteries currently on the market?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
I had a Duralast Gold from Autozone knock out at just a little over a year (Big disappointment) and also a Die Hard that sure did LOL! and fast!!!! I see so many different brands and models, cheap & expensive, and would simply like to know has anyone had great luck with one and how long did it last for you. Thanks!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Interstate batteries last 5 years starting my CRD and they're still starting my Fords. Original Optima only lasted 3 years. Odyssey folks seem to like them.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Interstate that you can get at costco now is not as good of a battery as the ones from them prior.

I have four of the wallmart batteries all doing great right now. I only have a year experience though with their deep cycle in one of my boats so I cannot vouch for their deep cycle yet.

Most of these batteries are made by the same people.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Wallmart Everstart Maxx are good batteries -- if it only lasts 1 year you have something else going on.
This is a good point as I did have to replace the alternator before the battery died plus recently found a crack on the side of my positive terminal so I am agreeing with this.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
The Interstate that you can get at costco now is not as good of a battery as the ones from them prior.

I have four of the wallmart batteries all doing great right now. I only have a year experience though with their deep cycle in one of my boats so I cannot vouch for their deep cycle yet.

Most of these batteries are made by the same people.
My father in law swears by the Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries and has had good luck with them.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Best quality & Reliable batteries today are AGM style "Absorb Glass Mat" which are deep cycle, & tend to last 7-10 years.
As sealed, you will not see battery terminal corrosion with an AGM battery.
Napa AGM, Exide Edge, North Star, and Odyssey are some examples. They are more expensive than typical lead acid batteries.
Optima spherical round cell AGM have less plate coverage. Their quality in not the best.
What is the best? Odyssey and can last 10 years+ if you are willing to spend more & have the best.
Odyssey AGM last so long because they start with new pure lead, & will never suffer an internal catastrophic failure. They only very slowly degrade over time.
My Odyssey PC-1500 34/78 dual terminal is now 10 years old and is still reading 750 CCA.

Attachments

• Odyssey PC1500 DT.jpg
    Odyssey PC1500 DT.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 13
  • Odyssey Info .jpg
    Odyssey Info .jpg
    534.5 KB · Views: 14

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
Best quality & Reliable batteries today are AGM style "Absorb Glass Mat" which are deep cycle, & tend to last 7-10 years.
As sealed, you will not see battery terminal corrosion with an AGM battery.
Napa AGM, Exide Edge, North Star, and Odyssey are some examples. They are more expensive than typical lead acid batteries.
Optima spherical round cell AGM have less plate coverage. Their quality in not the best.
What is the best? Odyssey and can last 10 years+ if you are willing to spend more & have the best.
Odyssey AGM last so long because they start with new pure lead, & will never suffer an internal catastrophic failure. They only very slowly degrade over time.
My Odyssey PC-1500 34/78 dual terminal is now 10 years old and is still reading 750 CCA.
The Odyssey batteries look beastly! Thanks for the info

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Odyssey AGMs are tops with Optimas a close second. Got to compare interstate VW Optima vs Odyssey during the recent arctic cold snap and now we have Odysseys in both Libertys. Sticking with Optima in the bug though 6volt starter battery, 12volt system battery.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a guy gave me a Optima to convince me that they were superior over any other battery
Lasted 3 months, kept getting weaker, and weaker , turned it in, second one lasted less than a year
Heavy , Expensive junk
Gave the second one back to him , he said it was my Cherokee something wrong with it
Installed the Interstate back in it ( that was already 3 years old ) and ran another 4 years until I sold it to buy an 04 Liberty LOL

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
I had a guy gave me a Optima to convince me that they were superior over any other battery
Lasted 3 months, kept getting weaker, and weaker , turned it in, second one lasted less than a year
Heavy , Expensive junk
Gave the second one back to him , he said it was my Cherokee something wrong with it
Installed the Interstate back in it ( that was already 3 years old ) and ran another 4 years until I sold it to buy an 04 Liberty LOL
Someone at work had bad luck with an expensive Optima I remember he was super upset when it failed/died.

Duster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with interstate for regular batteries.... from a dealer or the distributor. I am lucky I have a distributor so I usually drive over and see what they have thats scratched up.

Aside from that, to tell the truth I have had good luck with the cheapy 6 month batteries from a local battery place. I think they are recycled? Anyways, they outlasted the battery I got from Advance Auto when I was in a jam. All 3 are 2017 and it died first. Hook it to the charger and it floats saying it's charged in a few minutes. Unhook it and it drains to 10v pretty quick. I put one of those old 6 month batteries in there until I get a call to pick up my interstate battery.

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
I have to agree with interstate for regular batteries.... from a dealer or the distributor. I am lucky I have a distributor so I usually drive over and see what they have thats scratched up.

Aside from that, to tell the truth I have had good luck with the cheapy 6 month batteries from a local battery place. I think they are recycled? Anyways, they outlasted the battery I got from Advance Auto when I was in a jam. All 3 are 2017 and it died first. Hook it to the charger and it floats saying it's charged in a few minutes. Unhook it and it drains to 10v pretty quick. I put one of those old 6 month batteries in there until I get a call to pick up my interstate battery.

jeepop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, Interstate from Costco is not the same quality as Interstate from a dealer. Big box store quality over the last several years since Costco changed to Interstate is Everstart Maxx.

I have not tried AGM in a car/truck. I have had no need to. I did try in my boat for a house battery and it was not worth it over a traditional deep cycle.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
When I bought the Odyssey back in 2012, I drove to my friends shop that had a $4000 Midtronics Load tester.
I then let it sit for 45 minutes before testing it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pretty powerful & Odyssey spec- dead short is 2100 CA.
Yes you could weld with this battery ! :D

WyldWolf777

Reaction score
When I bought the Odyssey back in 2012, I drove to my friends shop that had a $4000 Midtronics Load tester.
I then let it sit for 45 minutes before testing it.
You must be registered for see images attach

Pretty powerful & Odyssey spec- dead short is 2100 CA.
Yes you could weld with this battery ! :D
Dang! ********!

Johnny O

Just hangin' out.
Reaction score
Had an Odyssey for a bit now. Headlamps still dim a hair when the subwoofer hits.