BDS lift for KJ - opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
This seems like a reasonably priced (non-spacer) lift kit:
2002-2007 Jeep Liberty 2" lift kit 442H | BDS Suspension

I got a 03' stock KJ. Want to start off roading, budget limited.
Good idea? Opinions? On-road handling?

Thanks

Springs are good,
shocks ( only rear come with the kit) are not good at all only hydraulic not gas charged even
So you are basically buying 4 springs only
Still need all 4 shocks
We've installed one BDS ( with all 4 Bilstein shocks) rode well but he ended up as much as he would of with a full OME lift

Complete OME 835.70 from jeepinbyal
4 shocks, 4 springs

or just buy the 4 springs 927 front / 948 rear
and go with Bilstein shocks for cheaper setup
you can buy all 4 springs for 336 much cheaper than the BDS
then the 4 shocks, get stock for the front, rear for 99-04 dodge Dakota 4x4 (shockwarehouse.com)

4 shocks as mentioned above from shockwarehouse would be 416.00 plus the coils making it 752 using OME coils/ Bilstein shocks
Plus OME 927/948 combo gives you a solid 2.5 inches of lift even with no additions
www.jeepinbyal.com
www.shockwarehouse.com
jeepinbyal also sells Bilstein shocks

IF you tried to use the rear shocks for a while with BDS and new front shocks from Bilstein you would have about 700

So just some options for you

Hope this helps some

Rev. Mudd done and standing aside

Last edited:

ozone000

Reaction score
I'm curious why you choose the Dakota shocks over the Durango shocks. From what I've read around here the Durangos will work and I've only read one thing about the Dakota, that it is meant for a lighter back end and ends up being mushy, I think that was explained by LibertyTC. I'm sure you have some good reason but I can't even imagine it.

Also, aren't the 927s for heavier bumpers? I keep hearing that 927s are always used but I can't find it explained. You'd think someone would ask by now why the forum recommends something the manufactuer doesnt. The two people that I've seen use the 926 don't have much else to say. Is it because once it settles in it ends up low and there isn't really any ride quality difference? That's all I can gather.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm curious why you choose the Dakota shocks over the Durango shocks. From what I've read around here the Durangos will work and I've only read one thing about the Dakota, that it is meant for a lighter back end and ends up being mushy, I think that was explained by LibertyTC. I'm sure you have some good reason but I can't even imagine it.

Also, aren't the 927s for heavier bumpers? I keep hearing that 927s are always used but I can't find it explained. You'd think someone would ask by now why the forum recommends something the manufactuer doesnt. The two people that I've seen use the 926 don't have much else to say. Is it because once it settles in it ends up low and there isn't really any ride quality difference? That's all I can gather.

No the 927s are not only for heavier bumpers, info from manufacturers is not always the best . For instance they also say you could use the 927s for the CRDs, when in fact stock CRD springs are rated higher at 410 lb than the 927s.
Reason for using and suggesting the 927s? Simply they work well, ride well and handle great! To me and others the 925s and 926s are OK but not up to what most like as far as the above mentioned ride and handling
YOU have to remember you are coming along 14 years after the KJs started coming out, there has been lots of tests of various setups over the years trying different things to see if they worked or not. My 04 alone has been torn apart at least 100 times , sometimes trying a new setup for only a few miles and back into the shop to swap out what didn't work.
So when we suggest something its not like we are throwing a dart against the board, its after many people trying new parts and thats what we suggest.
If you don't like what 99.875% use, then you are free to do what you like . As far as the dakota, Durango, I have ridden in and tried both, no difference that 99% of the people would ever feel . Some like to think there is a difference just like claiming a CAI gives them 100 extra HP !! :happy175:
Also would add that the Founding Fathers of LOSTJEEPs which started out as LOSTKJs back in the day before most on here even knew what a KJ was LOL, did extensive testing to find the right setup back in the early days as well . Their efforts brought us the Frankenift which we all know uses the OME 927s in front . Just a side not so that you don't think its just me touting the OME 927s as a good set up.

Good evening and sorry to the OP for taking his post off course

Last edited:

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This doesn't help some, this helps a lot!
Thank you very much for the detailed info.

Just making sure here.. is this the correct parts list from shockwarehouse?
You must be registered for see images attach

asking because:
- there are 4 different SKUs for the Dodge Dakota rears
- why should I buy stock 03 JK shocks if I already got them? refresh?
- for some reason choosing the stock 03 KJ shows as Dodge nitro in their cart (same SKU??)
- I see "KYB" is cheaper for both front and rear shocks, not recommended?

Thanks again!

Springs are good,
shocks ( only rear come with the kit) are not good at all only hydraulic not gas charged even
Still need all 4 shocks
We've installed one BDS ( with all 4 Bilstein shocks) rode well but he ended up as much as he would of with a full OME lift

4 shocks, 4 springs

then the 4 shocks, get stock for the front, rear for 99-04 dodge Dakota 4x4 (shockwarehouse.com)

4 shocks as mentioned above from shockwarehouse would be 416.00 plus the coils making it 752 using OME coils/ Bilstein shocks
Plus OME 927/948 combo gives you a solid 2.5 inches of lift even with no additions
JeepinByAl
Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

IF you tried to use the rear shocks for a while with BDS and new front shocks from Bilstein you would have about 700

Hope this helps some

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Front shocks are the same from 2002 through 2012, Nitro is just the step brother of the 08-12 KK, so all the same
You need and want new shocks since you don't want to put new springs in whith old shocks. Kind of like buying new shoes but wearing socks with holes in them
As far as the rear shocks, what numbers are you coming up with?
Running out here in a few but will be back later this evening to see what you have

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well there's 2 different models of 4x4 Dakota - the pickup and quadcab pickup. which one should I get for rears?

Also what about those KYB shocks? Much cheaper than Bilstein. Avoid?

ozone000

Reaction score
Most people say avoid. Usually its due to quality concerns, in that you would have to buy two in the same amount of time to buy one of another one so in the end it's not really cheaper, especially if you factor install costs. However, people tend to forget that cash flow is a concern as well as capital outlay. Disposable things sometimes make sense, that's a decision you will have to make. If you can make it safe to drive for two years while you save up to buy the better shocks, that's not a horrible thing.

Damping action is subjective though, you'll hear many conflicting opinions on the matter. I chose to rule them out mainly due to their stated goal, which is to "compensate for worn OE springs". This indicated to me that they would likely be over-damped.

The KYB website has a VERY good, online catalog where you can see the mounting types and sizes of all the products. If I recall correctly the KJ is 12mm inner diameter with 41 mm width on one side and 46 mm with on the other, but you should look it up to make sure. The shock you are looking for will be close to that. I chose the Durango in part because it was 41 and 47 where the Dakota I saw was 42 and 42 and therefore further off. However, since no one can measure anything anymore, I'm really just guessing.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Most people say avoid. Usually its due to quality concerns, in that you would have to buy two in the same amount of time to buy one of another one so in the end it's not really cheaper, especially if you factor install costs. However, people tend to forget that cash flow is a concern as well as capital outlay. Disposable things sometimes make sense, that's a decision you will have to make. If you can make it safe to drive for two years while you save up to buy the better shocks, that's not a horrible thing.

Damping action is subjective though, you'll hear many conflicting opinions on the matter. I chose to rule them out mainly due to their stated goal, which is to "compensate for worn OE springs". This indicated to me that they would likely be over-damped.

The KYB website has a VERY good, online catalog where you can see the mounting types and sizes of all the products. If I recall correctly the KJ is 12mm inner diameter with 41 mm width on one side and 46 mm with on the other, but you should look it up to make sure. The shock you are looking for will be close to that. I chose the Durango in part because it was 41 and 47 where the Dakota I saw was 42 and 42 and therefore further off. However, since no one can measure anything anymore, I'm really just guessing.

They both fit

Adam Roby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The BDS suspension does not come with front struts but they say this:

New upper strut bracket are included to create pre-load on the strut while putting the strut back in the center of its travel.

What exactly does this mean? You must compress the factory strut? This phrase confuses me, can someone draw me a picture of what this would look like?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
The BDS suspension does not come with front struts but they say this:

What exactly does this mean? You must compress the factory strut? This phrase confuses me, can someone draw me a picture of what this would look like?

BRB its complicated but very easy to understand

mindbomb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so if I go with this configuration - trying to get my head around all the required parts:

For extra lift can I add clevis spacers? If so which size?

What about plates? Do I need a set both for front and for rear?

and bump stops? Do I need em? TeraFlex? 2/4?

Thanks

Springs are good,
Still need all 4 shocks

4 shocks, 4 springs

JeepinByAl
Bilstein - KYB - Rancho - Monroe - Edelbrock Automotive Truck Shocks and Struts - Shockwarehouse.com

Hope this helps some

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
OK so if I go with this configuration - trying to get my head around all the required parts:

For extra lift can I add clevis spacers? If so which size?

What about plates? Do I need a set both for front and for rear?

and bump stops? Do I need em? TeraFlex? 2/4?

Thanks

Yes you can add a 1/4 inch top plate and 3/8 inch clevis
Teraflex front bumpstops ( 2 of them )
rear we use 2 per side , hockey pucks bolted down to the lower spring plate , work great

jrogers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the BDS kit on my 06 with clevis and top plates on the front plus an extra set of iso's on the rear. I've had the kit for a little over a year now and have had no complaints. In a years time I've only settled 1/8"-1/4" depending on which corner I measure and the ride is still better than when it was stock.

Alfista

Reaction score
Just today I received an email response from KYB admitting that their Struts Plus assemblies are not meant for CRDs. Likewise, Monroe shows the same part number for gas-engine Jeeps and CRDs. I'm still looking for the proper strut-spring combo for my 2005 CRD.

We bought our car new in late 2004 and have noticed (finally) that it's time for new struts and springs. The OE suspension parts lasted for 153,000 miles and the rear brakes finally wore out at 100,000 miles. Guess "they" don't make'em like they used to. :)

All I want is front and rear struts/shocks that are OE or better. Can anyone verify which MoPar part number is OE for the 410-pound CRD front springs? Could it be 52128873AA?

Last edited:

derekj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So does anyone know what the difference is between the 24-185240 Dakota shock and the 33-185859 other than one is listed for quad cab and the other for extra cab?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
So does anyone know what the difference is between the 24-185240 Dakota shock and the 33-185859 other than one is listed for quad cab and the other for extra cab?

Quad Cab 4x4 is what you want ( i.e. 4 doors and a bed plus 4 wheel drive )
cheaper to get the OME lift with Bilstein shocks in the end by the way