Ball Joints/ Control Arms

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
thanks! ordered the parts. for the 4x4 do I need to take the axle hub nut off or is there a way a without taking that off?

If i remember correctly i took mine off just so i could get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle. All i remember is hitting mine with a big hammer, as my press wouldn't fit.

Not sure about other KJ's though.

I did remove my axle hub nut mostly because i was replacing my wheel hubs at that time as well.

kj705

Reaction score
If i remember correctly i took mine off just so i could get the lower ball joint out of the knuckle. All i remember is hitting mine with a big hammer, as my press wouldn't fit.

Not sure about other KJ's though.

I did remove my axle hub nut mostly because i was replacing my wheel hubs at that time as well.

How do you remove the nut without the axle spinning? I already took off the caliper and all the nuts on the ball joint?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
How do you remove the nut without the axle spinning? I already took off the caliper and all the nuts on the ball joint?
Long bar between two wheel studs will keep it from turning
remove the whole spindle, get it out where you can work on the u-joint
if you do not have the correct tool to press out the LBJ, cut the top part off , then one of the included tools will work to shove it out
to loosen the ball joints just smack the spindle with a 3 lb hammer , one correctly landed hit will pop them loose

kj705

Reaction score
Long bar between two wheel studs will keep it from turning
remove the whole spindle, get it out where you can work on the u-joint
if you do not have the correct tool to press out the LBJ, cut the top part off , then one of the included tools will work to shove it out
to loosen the ball joints just smack the spindle with a 3 lb hammer , one correctly landed hit will pop them loose
Cool, thanks. I need to get the axle nut off on the 4x4 right? After the axle nut, does it slide straight out?

Reaction score

With my axle nut i have a 1/2" high torque impact. A few hits with a 35MM socket and it spun right off. Never tried the breaker bar method.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally prefer the brake caliper bracket mounted and a large screwdriver into the disc vent up against it to keep it from spinning method.

kj705

Reaction score
I personally prefer the brake caliper bracket mounted and a large screwdriver into the disc vent up against it to keep it from spinning method.
that’s true, i guess i can throw the caliper bracket back on

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should be able to replace a ball joint without needing to remove the axle nut.

oops, didn’t see the second page of replies! :rolleyes:

kj705

Reaction score
You should be able to replace a ball joint without needing to remove the axle nut.

oops, didn’t see the second page of replies! :rolleyes:
How would I press the old lbj out and press the new one in with the steering knuckle on the car?

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
How would I press the old lbj out and press the new one in with the steering knuckle on the car?
The LBJ is pressed into the lower control arm. Once the ball joint is released from the steering knuckle, can’t you get the LCA to drop down and then press it out? You’d need to rent some kind of puller. I can see how it would probably be easier if you could remove the axle nut and then swing the knuckle out of the way.

Sorry, I haven’t done this exact job before. I did a hub bearing a few weeks ago but decided not to disconnect the ball joints from the knuckle on that job. I am going by what I remember of how things were connected together.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
You can't really, the CV is in the way , goes right over top of the ball joint.
Now on 2 wheel drive KJs yes you can, very easy
And for the amount of time it takes popping both upper and lower ball joints loose, makes it a whole lot easier

kj705

Reaction score
Pressed in the new LBJ. I hope the grease fitting is facing the right way I got conflicting info from YouTube and the MOOG instructions it came with. Going to put the new upper control arm in tonight.

kj705

Reaction score
got the upper control arm bolts finger tight and put the steering knuckle back on. do you guys know if it's a good idea to add chassis grease to the spindle that the steering knuckle goes into?

kj705

Reaction score
thanks everyone for the help! finished the drivers side upper control arm and lower ball joint, finished the rear tri-link. All that's left is to get the stripped lug nut off the passenger side to finish the ball joint on that side.

Latest posts

Members online