BALL JOINT FAILURE INFO...PLEASE READ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ohioviper

Reaction score
Jeep Liberty recallAugust 2, 2006 - Jeep recalls 2002-2006 Liberty SUV over steering problems

WASHINGTON (AP) - Chrysler Group is recalling more than 800,000 Jeep Liberty sport utility vehicles because of the potential loss of steering control, the automaker said Tuesday.
DaimlerChrysler AG spokesman Max Gates said the front suspension lower ball joint could experience excessive wear and looseness, leading the ball joint to separate. The recall affects 832,000 Liberty SUVs from the 2002-2006 model years.

Gates said the automaker has received 111 complaints about the problem and reports of three injuries. He said in many of the complaints, the ball joint failed, dropping the vehicle's front end onto one or both of the front tires.

The front suspension has troubled the Liberty before. The automaker recalled more than 300,000 2002-2003 Liberty vehicles in November 2003 because of problems with the ball joint, but some of the parts were damaged during the shipping process or installation.

Earlier this year, the government opened an investigation of the 2004 Liberty after receiving complaints about the ball joint separating. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the alleged separations happened on Libertys with 25,000 miles to more than 67,000 miles.

The vehicle has since been redesigned and Gates said the automaker believes the ball joint part will not experience the same wear patterns.

Owners will receive notices about the recall in September and the ball joints will be replaced at no cost.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't this topic same as the other one, or were they merged, anyway, Jeep website is still insisting there is no recall on my VIN.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
Isn't this topic same as the other one, or were they merged, anyway, Jeep website is still insisting there is no recall on my VIN.

That's because owner notification hasn't begun yet. Once they start mailing out the letters and getting it in their systems it will probably show up on the website.

2003KJ

Reaction score
cool cool...ran my vin and it showed up...looks like i'll set an appointment for the next couple of weeks.

billweaponsman

Reaction score
after reading this im going to have my wifes 2004 liberty checked at the dealership tuesday when they do some other warranty work.

millman44

Reaction score
Will the moog ball joints I've been reading about here cure the problem? Are they better than the ones jeep wants to replace them with? I have an 03 Liberty Sport , I found a site online that sells both joints for 66.95 Was thinking about purchasing them if the moog ones are worth it. Any info greatly appreciated.

MoladoGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
millman44 said:
Will the moog ball joints I've been reading about here cure the problem? Are they better than the ones jeep wants to replace them with? I have an 03 Liberty Sport , I found a site online that sells both joints for 66.95 Was thinking about purchasing them if the moog ones are worth it. Any info greatly appreciated.

MIAH (JFORTIER777) has a pair he's selling brand new in the for sale thread:
Moog LBJs *Brand new never installed* --------- $110 +s/h new ($155)

Link = http://jeepkj.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4646

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had the worn Near side Ball joint replaced under warranty at Jeep Dealer...NOT UNDER RECALL

Apparently, UK dealers are rolling out the recall in November..

Why they didn't change mine while it is up in the air is mad...although they may not be able to charge DC yet..

Recall details website
<a href="http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/default.asp">
The Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA)
</a>
You must be registered for see images

crd

Reaction score
Got recall notice in the mail yesterday for the torque converter. When they checked the VIN in their computer there is also the recall for the lower ball joints....dealer says they can't get the replacements for either as there is a backlog. :-({|=

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
crd said:
Got recall notice in the mail yesterday for the torque converter. When they checked the VIN in their computer there is also the recall for the lower ball joints....dealer says they can't get the replacements for either as there is a backlog. :-({|=

Torque converter recall????

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Emoto said:
crd said:

Yeah, only for models equipped with the diesel engine.

Emoto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon_JBT said:
Emoto said:
crd said:

Yeah, only for models equipped with the diesel engine.

Thanks!

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm slightly worried: do these recalls count for the UK as well? Anyone here from the UK have one, or has taken action about it?

I stuck my VIN into that DC calculator thing, and it said I'm due a recall as well :-k

Bennett

Administrator
Reaction score
Get em fixed...

I just witnessed a ball joint today on a liberty snap today. Luckily it was in a parking lot..

ENBr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bennett said:
Get em fixed...

I just witnessed a ball joint today on a liberty snap today. Luckily it was in a parking lot..

Yoink. I'll do that!

Horrific?

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was in the dealership a few weeks ago concerning my girlfriends Grand Cherokee so I just had them order the balljoints for me...got the notice they came in the mail yesterday...now i just gotta get mine back from the body shop and go get them put on. I don't even think mine are bad, but I'm not about to wait for it to happen before replacing them.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just got my recall F23 notice the other day.. [-(
Luckily I get recalls done wayyyyy before I get these notices. It is unbelievable how long they wait to send these out.

2003KJ

Reaction score
hyedipin said:
I just got my recall F23 notice the other day.. [-(
Luckily I get recalls done wayyyyy before I get these notices. It is unbelievable how long they wait to send these out.

Ummmm I had mine done back in October and i STILL have not got my notice yet.