Back window will not close

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PackratF350

Reaction score
Hello, 2004 Liberty back window doesn’t close anymore. Not sure what happened it was working just fine, now it won’t latch shut. Appears to be some sort of electronic actuator. Theres a switch inside the handle that actuates this latch and pops the window before you can open the back door. Worked fine when I opened it. But now it won’t close. Is there a fuse for this?
If so which fuse. (don’t have a manual for fuse locations). there are wires plugged in on each side of it, wondering if there should be power to this actuator when the handle is pulled. And if so what side would the power be on? it’s $472 for a new latch. Want to make sure I cover all other bases before buying a new latch.

duderz7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's usually the micro switch that goes bad. Use the open glass feature on your remote and you should be able to close the glass. There are some videos on the YouTube that show the replacement procedure. I found it easier to remove entire handle to replace the micro switch because of my fat fingers.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah the micro switch usually goes bad...there was a Tech Tip issued for it years ago....I think it gets water inside it!

I have not had any problems with it on my Export 2002 CRD but looking at the microswitch it looks like a standard microswitch you can buy at any Electronics supply shop.

In emergencies when working on machines in the Field I would open these things up...clean the contacts and glue it back together!

PackratF350

Reaction score
Yeah the micro switch usually goes bad...there was a Tech Tip issued for it years ago....I think it gets water inside it!

I have not had any problems with it on my Export 2002 CRD but looking at the microswitch it looks like a standard microswitch you can buy at any Electronics supply shop.

In emergencies when working on machines in the Field I would open these things up...clean the contacts and glue it back together!
Ok that got the latch to open, but when I push on the window to close it, the latch doesn’t lock. Is it supposed to activate and pull the window closed?

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can put a Ohm-meter across the microswitch contacts...with the wires disconnected...to check if the contacts make and break when operated. Then with the meter set to DC Volts you can plug the wires back onto the switch and see if voltage gets transfered across it when it is activated.

WD-40 is also a good idea!;)

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
When I bought the 05 for my step father , back latch would not work
Bought from Original owner and she had had it to 3 garage's and none of them fixed it
so another 250 off the price
Took it home and sprayed some Kroil on everything in there . Left it sit for a while then sprayed again and everything worked as it should, no problems since and that was 6 or 7 years ago

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
If you disconnect your battery and open the tailgate the glass will open too but when you close the tailgate the glass won't latch until the battery's reconnected and the glass latch is electrically released, which it never was. Do check the fuse. The microswitch in the handle can be replaced for about $15.. The rusty clip that holds it to the handle only comes with the new $250. handle. You can remove the handle through the small plastic cover on the inside of the tailgate. Disconnect the connecter, cut one or two wireties, and I think one 10mm nut holds the handle.

The wiring for the microswitch runs along the left side of the floor. I've thought about adding a switch in the cabin since the open-glass button on the CRD's keyblob doesn't work with the engine running.

Tried posting a picture of the microswitch but my phone said "no".

Last edited:

PackratF350

Reaction score
Well I got it figured! the micro switch is for sure not working. The latch does work and it works with the fob. It also works fine if you know where to push on the latch to activate it manually. The closing problem afterwards was just needing to move the entire latch outwards a bit. There is about 1/8” of movement there.
I will order a new switch on Monday. Oh and for anyone in Canada looking for that latch. $472.00 for OEM. $250 aftermarket. Thanks everyone for the tips. I also lubed it up with some silicone spray instead of WD40. No residual film with that.

PackratF350

Reaction score
Kroil is way better than WD40 anyways, none of that stuff in my shop
and you use it to loosen everything up
NOT
a forever fix ;)
I use Kroil too, works very well! Had a stuck pin on my round baler. Little splash and 1/2 hour wait, out it came. It really does creep, whole pin was covered with the oil

iceaxe1967

Reaction score
Glad you solved your issue, on my 06 crd, I have had this happen to me but I used the key fob and pushed the window release and lock, multiple times. Worked. I have this issue when I don't pull door handle with some effort.

MikeK

Reaction score
Hi all, My 2004 Liberty had the same issue. It was the micro switch actuator arm, it was bent. I got a complete handle with perfect switch from a junk yard for 10 bucks...I never buy these things new, that is what junkyards are for, older vehicles!!

E Young89

Reaction score
Hello, 2004 Liberty back window doesn’t close anymore. Not sure what happened it was working just fine, now it won’t latch shut. Appears to be some sort of electronic actuator. Theres a switch inside the handle that actuates this latch and pops the window before you can open the back door. Worked fine when I opened it. But now it won’t close. Is there a fuse for this?
If so which fuse. (don’t have a manual for fuse locations). there are wires plugged in on each side of it, wondering if there should be power to this actuator when the handle is pulled. And if so what side would the power be on? it’s $472 for a new latch. Want to make sure I cover all other bases before buying a new latch.
You have to open a small panel on the inside of the rear door.
Same thing happened to my 07 Liberty. Open the panel on the inside of the rear hatch and spray a small amount of silicone wd40 on parts that move. Should be good after that

Kawika

Reaction score
Second the kroil and X the WD40.
That crap acts like glue when it dries.
Happened to me in Utah.
Salt and water will creep anyplace it can and that window latch has been a sticky guy twice in 16 years.
Never replaced a switch.
Had to open the gate wiring harness up once because it makes a bend inside the drivers side of door that the wires come apart INSIDE the insulation after 1000's of openings and closings.
I have had to use Kroil on many things that were stuck and I was sure I had to buy a new part.
Has worked every time so far(crossed fingers, knock on wood etc.).

JRB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have to throw in my penny for thoughts about good ol wd-40.

It's not an oil, grease, or lasting lubricant and shouldn't be used so.
When it's all ya got with you, can help free stuck fasteners.
Decent for some cleaning tasks.
Great for water displacement.
Excellent aluminum cutting fluid.

I feel like it ends up in situations where the saying, "when all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail" applies. ;)

DadOSix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kroil guys! Consider trying Free-All. (Autozone)

This stuff almost eats thru rust. I’ve been using it a few years after my hvac guy showed it to me.

Last use was on the lugs of a new to me bobcat 643 that has sat for 3 years un-moved.

15 minutes and a bit of impact gun, done deal.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.