Auxiliary reverse lighting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I picked up a couple of sets of 2000 lumen led 4" lights. One set I want to mount at the back of my roof basket as extra lighting behind. I'd like people's input as which way to wire. Option 1. Just to the reverse lights. 2. Just to a switch. 3. To both, a switch and reverse lights?

Thanks
Alan

Last edited:

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd say your best bet is both as to keep the local popo happy and still be able to use them when just parked.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked mine up threw a auxiliary fuse box that turns on when the truck does and then i have a relay that is activated when the truck goes into reverse and I also have a on/off switch. If you need more help please let me know.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hooked mine up threw a auxiliary fuse box that turns on when the truck does and then i have a relay that is activated when the truck goes into reverse and I also have a on/off switch. If you need more help please let me know.

I have no problem with the know how to do the wiring. That's the easy part. Lol. I just wasn't sure whether or not, reverse light or a switch.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Powered relay triggered by backup lights and switch.

Note: Illegal to do so in a lot of states, your on your own as far as that goes.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with the know how to do the wiring. That's the easy part. Lol. I just wasn't sure whether or not, reverse light or a switch.
Check your local laws,higher powered lights for reverse lights is illegal.Just wire them on a separate switch for offroad use only,simple and won't attract any attention from the local fuzz.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well New York actually states that every vehicle needs to have a back up light. But it must only be able to be activated when the truck is in reverse and can not be able to turn the backup lights when the truck is not in reverse.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You could put the switch in the rear to be able to use as work light when stationary. I believe the issue is being able to turn them on while driving.

Members online