Arrrgghh stupid squeak squeak squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was a nice and sunny day yesterday so I went for a ride with the windows down. The whole f'ing time I was driving I heard a squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. As soon as I applied the brakes slightly it went away, but let go of the brakes and squeak, squeak, squeak came back. It's a real pain in the a$$!!!:mad:

The pads and rotors were all done 3k miles ago. WTF is the causing that damn squeak squeak squeak!?

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
It was a nice and sunny day yesterday so I went for a ride with the windows down. The whole f'ing time I was driving I heard a squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak. As soon as I applied the brakes slightly it went away, but let go of the brakes and squeak, squeak, squeak came back. It's a real pain in the a$$!!!:mad:

The pads and rotors were all done 3k miles ago. WTF is the causing that damn squeak squeak squeak!?

Take the calipers off and check the anti rattle clips on the caliper mounts, mine were doing the same thing.Either that, or the pads are a semi metallic and are rubbing slightly on the rotor ...either way pull your wheels and eyeball everything.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the calipers off and check the anti rattle clips on the caliper mounts, mine were doing the same thing.Either that, or the pads are a semi metallic and are rubbing slightly on the rotor ...either way pull your wheels and eyeball everything.

Got a picture of what your talking about? Also, I don't have a lift, only 1 jack, so I can't exactly lift my KJ and spin each wheel to determine where the squeak is coming from.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah...but can you freely spin 1 wheel at the time while the other 3 are touching the ground? Hmmm...

Anyway, I'll jack each wheel at a time and check it out.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, you can. Also, when you jack up the rear, jack it up by the pumpkin so both tires are off the ground, and chock the front wheels.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I brought my KJ to the dealership today for this issue. Cause of the problem? 3 of the 5 studs of the front driver wheel were broken. :eek:

They changed all 5 studs of that wheel to be on the safe side. Inspected the other wheels, brakes and suspension components. They checked the front end to see if the alignment was off, it wasn't so that's good. The tire is ok, no premature wear. Had it rebalanced.

I had them do a tire rotation while they were at it.

I'm glad I brought it in when I did, imagine going down the highway at 70mi/h and losing a wheel?:eek::eek:

mag03kj

Banned
Reaction score
Damn its a good thing you did go into the dealer i think this time they can be a dealer and not a stealer! :D

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
X2 Weird....
I should have been more precise. My Bad. They were broken, not completely fallen off. They were barely holding on.

The head tech said that was likely caused by the last person who took off/put on that wheel. Which was the tire shop back in November when I had my Destinations put on. They likely put the nuts on too tight...idiots...:mad:

kj924

Administrator
Reaction score
I should have been more precise. My Bad. They were broken, not completely fallen off. They were barely holding on.

The head tech said that was likely caused by the last person who took off/put on that wheel. Which was the tire shop back in November when I had my Destinations put on. They likely put the nuts on too tight...idiots...:mad:

kopkrab.gif Smells fishy to me.

L

lil black liberty

Eh correct me if I'm incorrect but doesn't the lugs have a set PSI they are supposed to be set at? I mean if they are then why would that cause stress on the bolts? I'm just curious because I've always wondered this..

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should have known to be honest. The tire shop I went too had a bunch of kids as techs...oh well I won't be going back there again.

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Correct torque for your KJ's lugnuts is anywhere between 85 and 115 ft lb.
Your lug stud was not broken at all. It was likely cross threaded, because it was broken, it would not have been there at all.

LBL, when you go to the cheapest shop in town, you're likely to get some idiots working on your junk. As ThunderbirdJunkie says on a regular basis, you get what you pay for.

jp1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I hate to dig up an old thread, but does anyone have a pic of the anti-rattle clips?

I have the same annoying "squeak squeak squeak squeak" coming from my 04. I'll double check the studs, but since I'm the only person to take the wheels off on and the KJ, I doubt my puny muscles overtorqued the lugnuts.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm confused, just how do broken wheel studs cause a "squeaking" noise?

I think the dealership mechanics found the broken studs and came to the conclusion threestoges.gif that they were the cause of the noise. I say they simply jumped to the conclusion. Did the noise really go away after they replaced the wheel studs? Maybe it was the rest of the work they carried out to inspect your front end.

If you want a breakdown of the Liberty's front brake components head over to this website; http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-brake-parts/liberty-kj/index.htm
You must be registered for see images

Banditsteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake pads...........

Obviously it might not be this so make sure you check everything while you are in there but a lot of brake squeaks are caused by the little lip at the outer edge of the brake pad material that never seems to wear as much as the rest of the pads. You can cure this by using a file or a sander or something to chamfer the last 1/8" all round the outer edge of the pad material at about 45 degrees (Angle, not temperature, so dont wait for a warm day! Hehe) and some copper grease on the back of the pads and ALSO the top and bottom of the pad metal where it slides into the caliper. Obviously not the pad material!! Alwaye done that with mine and a few thousand cars I have worked on in the past and never had a squeak yet! Hope it works for you. Cheers, Steve :D

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.