Armor Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What all options do we have for armor?

I was not really able to find much on here using the search function. I dont' really hear to many peopel bring up the topic of armor very often either. I got my front bumper being made now and my next step was to order the rear bumper from Rock Lizard after the front was done and shipped. The more I think about it the more I think I should be spending this money on under armor instead. Currently my 2006 Sport has zero protection underneath it which I am not comfortable with.

Currently my prospect is to order the 4X Guard armor from JBA. I can get the Engine/Trans skid, Front plate and front guard for about $700 shipped.

Before I pull the trigger is that all we have for armor? OEM MOPAR and 4XGuard? (or it appears in the near future Rock Lizard but theirs still shows not available)

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mopar ones are cheaper but are in no way better then 4X guard. The 4X guard skids are 1/4 inch thick steel plate.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well mopar ones are cheaper but are in no way better then 4X guard. The 4X guard skids are 1/4 inch thick steel plate.

Yeah, The reason I'm not interested in the MOPAR ones is that the few threads I could find about armor have all stated the MOPAR skids really don't protect anything aside from light on road debris and are really weak/flimsy. That made me not interested in going with those skids.

My main goal here is that I am taking a vacation in the next few months out to MOAB for a camping trip with my son. I'm not experienced enough and my KJ is pretty tame/stock and not even close to badass enough to hit anything insane but I would like to at least take a few light paths and have a little fun without damaging to much.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 4X guard, the only down side to getting the 4X guard is that you need to paint them. Also these look cool as well and the mopar ones do not look very good. I have a transfer case skid and a engine skid that are mopar and I do not like them.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would go with the 4X guard, the only down side to getting the 4X guard is that you need to paint them. Also these look cool as well and the mopar ones do not look very good. I have a transfer case skid and a engine skid that are mopar and I do not like them.

The 4XGuard skids are powder coated Silver.

CzarKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mopar front skid. That thing is actually kinda beefy. Then I have the 4xguard trans skid which is crazy heavy duty. And I also have a mopar tcase skid. If you have the cash go 4x. Don't forget to get a fuel skid as well if you are going to some good trails.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the mopar front skid. That thing is actually kinda beefy. Then I have the 4xguard trans skid which is crazy heavy duty. And I also have a mopar tcase skid. If you have the cash go 4x. Don't forget to get a fuel skid as well if you are going to some good trails.

Yeah I was looking at the Rock Lizard fuel skid. That's the only one of their armor line up they have available right now. Kind of pricey though.

WickedBruce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just ordered the 4xguard front skid last Friday from JeepinbyAl. Just waiting for it to ship. I'll let ya know what I think when I get it

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only transfer case skid available as far as I know is the Mopar unit. I'm glad I have it as I've kicked up some decent size rocks that would have hit the t-case otherwise. Don't know if the rocks would have done significant damage but I'm still glad I have it.

The 4X Guard units are serious protection. They're powder coated a nice silver color, are heavy duty and the trans skid is a lot wider than the OEM unit - it goes from frame rail to frame rail. I wish JBA had a T-case and fuel tank skid too - though my KJ would weigh as much as an F-350 dually. But by golly it would be protected :favorites13:

Hedsic, good call on getting some armor. Amazing how many times it's come in handy on the highway let alone on the trails. Do you have rock rails yet?

Bob

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only transfer case skid available as far as I know is the Mopar unit. I'm glad I have it as I've kicked up some decent size rocks that would have hit the t-case otherwise. Don't know if the rocks would have done significant damage but I'm still glad I have it.

The 4X Guard units are serious protection. They're powder coated a nice silver color, are heavy duty and the trans skid is a lot wider than the OEM unit - it goes from frame rail to frame rail. I wish JBA had a T-case and fuel tank skid too - though my KJ would weigh as much as an F-350 dually. But by golly it would be protected :favorites13:

Hedsic, good call on getting some armor. Amazing how many times it's come in handy on the highway let alone on the trails. Do you have rock rails yet?

Bob

No rock rails yet, going to get the RL ones. Just waiting for my bumper to arrive first before I make another purchase since I hear they are busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky Road Outfitters makes a full set of armor, but it isn't cheap, and it's 3/16" plate steel. I haven't seen it in person, but the other stuff I've bought there so far has been good quality. They are about 45 minutes from me, so I may go check some of the armor out one of these days.

Hedsic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rocky Road Outfitters makes a full set of armor, but it isn't cheap, and it's 3/16" plate steel. I haven't seen it in person, but the other stuff I've bought there so far has been good quality. They are about 45 minutes from me, so I may go check some of the armor out one of these days.

No offense or anything. I'll just use sheets of aluminum foil as my armor before I do any business with RRO.

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No offense or anything. I'll just use sheets of aluminum foil as my armor before I do any business with RRO.

No offense taken. I just offered it because you asked. :) I've had nothing but great parts and service from RRO, so I have no problem suggesting them.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I stand corrected on availability of a transfer case skid. My frustration is that I've never seen a T-case skid from another manufacturer, though they claim to have one.

The armor from RRO is built by Skid Row - which is good stuff. Nice and thick, flat so they slide over rocks/boulders/logs easily. I've just never seen an actual transfer case skid from any of these manufacturers. Rock Lizard has one in development, RRO has one listed on their page - I just want to see one! :boxed:

Bob

CobraNutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perhaps I'll run up there one of these days with my camera and do some recon. :)

Sent from my own little galaxy...

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Skidrow plates take a beating..............

You must be registered for see images

And yes the t-case skid is bent,took a severe hit that crushed my Borla muffler to 2" from over 8".

I run the Kilby gas tank skid,they still make them but built to order and it's a tank like RL's gas tank skid.

Last edited:

Members online