Anyone in Upstate NY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of which road you're talking about.

There is one called the Burmbaugh Road. It runs from Street Road(Rt 9N) over to The Vineyard. I'm not sure if that's private or not. It has a town street sign on it, but it's certainly not paved. It shows up on Google Maps.

I'm sure there has to be places to go around here, it's just a matter of finding them.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to think of which road you're talking about.

There is one called the Burmbaugh Road. It runs from Street Road(Rt 9N) over to The Vineyard. I'm not sure if that's private or not. It has a town street sign on it, but it's certainly not paved. It shows up on Google Maps.

I'm sure there has to be places to go around here, it's just a matter of finding them.

It was a long time ago and a private road. Actually an old logging road going up the mountain to a pond where we used to fish. The road was gated and we got the key to the gate from the owner so we had permission to go up there and fish. We had an old bronco and put a jon boat in the back and crawled up there to the pond.

Anyway, there might be other trails up there. If you cross rte#22 going out of Ty on Street Rd, when you get across rte#22 is it 9n then? I think so. Up a little ways on the left is (was) Thompson's Apple Orchards (if he still owns it) and the road was just after that. It has been a long time since I was up there. I don't remember the road name.

How about up the mountain towards Putnam Pond or Eagle Lake? Any trails up there? Or over in Hague maybe? Check those two places. You are right in the middle of a bunch of mountains and so a little week-end exploring should turn something up that is legal or a place where someone will give you permission or some NYState Land. I havn't been up there in a long time. Give me an excuse...:D

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now I know what orchard you're talking about. I never paid attention to that area of road. I'll have to take a ride out that way to see if the road you're talking about is still there.

I was up to Putnam Pond (aka Putts Pond) a couple weeks ago checking it out, and I don't think there was anything up there.

I'll keep asking around to see what I can find.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ ok good. But We're just beating around the bush with vague directions here, but if you find anything real good with real specific directions, PM me so it is not on the WWW.

Dave

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will do.

I've been asking around at work and everyone says there are a bunch of trails around here, but mysteriously, nobody can tell me where.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's the same thing I keep getting--"Oh, there's a whole bunch of trails up in the High Peaks!" Okay...so tell me WHERE people. Ugh. And even online searches don't seem to bring anything up. Hmph.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I found another place just outside Cobleskill today. State Forrest Land so it is legal. Miles of mountain roads and trails. Got high centered on an ice bank and had to be strapped out. Geeeezzzzz I need a lift. Anyways, pleanty of mud up there right now and a couple of places the beavers dropped trees across the trail. Have to go back with a chainsaw. If anyone wants to go sometime and we could get a couple of KJ's together let me know.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be fun, minus the fact that I know next to nothing about going off road in anything other than snow, and the fact that the KJ is bone stock...but Cobleskill isn't that far away. Hmm...

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun to me.

The high centering thing worries me a bit right now since I'm naked underneith and don't have any recover points. Surely the next on my list though.

I've thought about emailing my local chamber of commerce to see if they have any recommendations on land use, or available trails. Think it's a waste of time?

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be fun, minus the fact that I know next to nothing about going off road in anything other than snow, and the fact that the KJ is bone stock...but Cobleskill isn't that far away. Hmm...

You have a Renne and they came stock with skids and hooks. They should be there unless someone took them off.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun to me.

The high centering thing worries me a bit right now since I'm naked underneith and don't have any recover points. Surely the next on my list though.

I've thought about emailing my local chamber of commerce to see if they have any recommendations on land use, or available trails. Think it's a waste of time?

Put skids and hooks on. Even the OEM skids are better than nothing. Cheaper than your lift was.

Try e-mailing the Chamber of Commerse. The worse that will happen is that they won't know. Ask for snomobile trails also. If it is State Property, and not posted against ORV you can drive them in the summer legally.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Worst they can say is that they don't know or don't have time =P I've talked to a couple of my friends, one of whom also lives in B-Spa, and they would be willing to go also if it actually happens. Same concerns for them as myself though: We know nothing about off-roading, so it can't be anything too difficult to get through, and we don't need any more damaged Jeeps =P

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check with the local chamber of commerce.

I priced out all four Mopar skids and a set of front tow hooks. It'll run about $400. Definitely cheaper than my lift($750), but that was a necessity. The original equipment was beyond shot. I couldn't take riding around on it anymore.

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't think so. Worst they can say is that they don't know or don't have time =P I've talked to a couple of my friends, one of whom also lives in B-Spa, and they would be willing to go also if it actually happens. Same concerns for them as myself though: We know nothing about off-roading, so it can't be anything too difficult to get through, and we don't need any more damaged Jeeps =P

My jeep is a daily driver and I do not want to trash it either. You can stay on the easy stuff. It is mostly easy unless you go on one of the side trails. Next trip to Cobleskill is scheduled for Sunday 4/12. - tentative. Expect to get muddy and dirty. In the meantime find a dirt road and try out 4Lo.

I just found out about a place in Corinth (NYState land and legal) but I don't know where it is and I am trying to get a friend to show me this weekend.

Dave

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll check with the local chamber of commerce.

I priced out all four Mopar skids and a set of front tow hooks. It'll run about $400. Definitely cheaper than my lift($750), but that was necessity. The original equipment was beyond shot. I couldn't take riding around on them anymore.

If you find a place up there I havn't been to Ti in a long time and would come up.

Dave

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like fun =D Although I'm not quite sure where I'm going to get a dirt road besides our tractor paths at my house, and they're through fields, not dirt. I've used 4Lo in the snow when I was out in the fields last year. What exactly do I need to learn about it? Besides the fact that it's for low gear...

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes yes, I will be going =P We'll have to get the running boards off our Jeeps though. Just as a sidenote, the 12th is Easter. (He pointed that out to me)

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes yes, I will be going =P We'll have to get the running boards off our Jeeps though. Just as a sidenote, the 12th is Easter. (He pointed that out to me)

Yea, it is Easter Sunday. I didn't realize that when Don set the date but it is ok with me. The date is still tentative. Stay tuned.

Everybody has skids and hooks, right? We can always stay on the easy part though.

Dave

Latest posts

Members online