Anyone else get a whine in cold weather?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been noticing this in mine in colder weather, I'd say below 20 degrees for quite a while, and another forum member brought it up also. I'm curious if anyone else's Jeep does this, and what it is. I'm pretty sure it's the power steering. The colder it is, the longer the duration of the whine and then it just fades out. Here's a clip...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1462146335669971234

I turned the steering wheel at the end of the vid and you can hear a similar pitch whine, although quieter, which makes me think it's the power steering. My fluid level is fine, although I'd like to find a way to stop it if possible.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PS fluid needs to warm up a bit to flow correctly,the noise is the serp belt slipping a little because of the cold/thick PS fluid is overworking the PS pump.Let it idle untouched for a few minuates when it's that cold and you'll be fine,maybe time for a PS fluid change/flush also(it works wonders).

2003KJ

Reaction score
The PS pumps are known to be louder when it's cold....I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On another note, is anybody notice any unusual clacking in their 3.7 now that its cold? Mine almost sounds like it's low on oil, but its not....and its something i've just noticed.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get it only for a split second, GWWTTT after it starts. And you should see when I steer it, feels like I am against a rock or something, then it breaks loose

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
The PS pumps are known to be louder when it's cold....I wouldn't worry about it too much.

On another note, is anybody notice any unusual clacking in their 3.7 now that its cold? Mine almost sounds like it's low on oil, but its not....and its something i've just noticed.

I don't really notice anything like that with mine, the only time I ever hear anything remotely close to a chatter is when I first start it up and I'm driving up the hill out of my apartment, with some load on the cold engine, other than that, mine's very quiet...how many miles are you up to? What kind/weight oil do you use?

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
2003KJ said:

I don't really notice anything like that with mine, the only time I ever hear anything remotely close to a chatter is when I first start it up and I'm driving up the hill out of my apartment, with some load on the cold engine, other than that, mine's very quiet...how many miles are you up to? What kind/weight oil do you use?

I just clicked 40K last week...and I run Mobil 1 10W30 year round. I was noticing this in temps that were in the mid to upper 30's....so it wasn't SUPER cold....

resipsa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get the same whine from my KJ, which is ~200 miles from 50K. My wife freaked out a little when she drove it to work last week (due to snow). I'm so accustomed to the sound in cold weather that I don't even notice it anymore. It goes away after 2-3 minutes of idle.

Reactions: una

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
thecause17 said:
2003KJ said:

I just clicked 40K last week...and I run Mobil 1 10W30 year round. I was noticing this in temps that were in the mid to upper 30's....so it wasn't SUPER cold....

but even when your engine is warm? I was just doing taking some pics of mine (see pic forum) and it was running and the only thing I could hear the whole time was the e-fan, I have the same milage is you.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
on another note, is anybody notice any unusual clacking in their 3.7 now that its cold? Mine almost sounds like it's low on oil, but its not....and its something i've just noticed.

Yes...............mine did that on the coldest mornings but it lasted only a couple of seconds at the most and went away. The last couple of mornings it did not do it maby because it was a little warmer? Temp was in the single didgets when it did it I think? I've been running Mobil 1 in 5w30 weight and my oil level is right up there on the full line and I'm not due for a change.

But as to the whine on cold mornings, that's me and not the Jeep.

Dave

cmontel727

Reaction score
Mine makes the same whine on startup, only last a couple of seconds. It only happens on cold mornings always below 30 degrees. It has done this since it was new

Reactions: una

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Must just be a characteristic of these pumps...I've never owned a vehicle that whined on startup like that. Most of my Fords however had a whine while turning the wheel, but nothing on startup. Oh well, seems to be pretty common.

Marty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes mine has always done that when quite cold. The most annoying sound when cold, though, is creaking in the rear suspension for about 10 km then it gets warmed up. I complained to the dealer lots but no satisfaction.

2003KJ

Reaction score
thecause17 said:
2003KJ said:
thecause17 said:
2003KJ said:

but even when your engine is warm? I was just doing taking some pics of mine (see pic forum) and it was running and the only thing I could hear the whole time was the e-fan, I have the same milage is you.

No, once the engine is warmed up a bit, I don't hear it anymore. But it's also NOT one of those things where it happens for a couple of seconds or so. This is happening, depending if i drive it cold, let it warm up, for a few minutes. Basically untill the temp gauge begins to move up.

I did notice today I was about half a quart short on oil....and I have some liquid below the lower radiator hose. But when i stuck my hand down there to feel it, it didn't smell (or look) like coolant. The bottom of the lower rad. hose was a bit wet. It was also STONE COLD after about a 5 mile drive....which I thought was strange.

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been having the same whine. Goes away after warming up. I posted on it before. When I opened the PS fluid cap while it was making the sound, the fluid foamed all over the place. So there is air in the line. Not sure whats causing this...

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jerbacher said:
I've been having the same whine. Goes away after warming up. I posted on it before. When I opened the PS fluid cap while it was making the sound, the fluid foamed all over the place. So there is air in the line. Not sure whats causing this...

I may try the Lucas additive and see what that does, my dad swears by that...I've only used their fuel injector cleaner.

thecause17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.lucasoil.com/products/display_products.sd?iid=28&catid=2&loc=show

It's more of a stop leak I guess, but they also claim stopping squeaks and squeals.

I know a guy who uses their differential gear oil and has claimed a 2mpg increase, but I'm sort of skeptical on that.

Here's a testimonial I picked out of the list for the power steering stuff...

"Power Steering pump was growling for about 2 months. finally decided to get it fixed when I found out that I could not buy a replacement pump. Turns out to be a dealer ony item that is back ordered. Salesman at Carquest sugjested that I try some Lucas Power steering stop leak. I said my mecanic has tried that with a different product. He issisted that I try Lucas. So I did. I had nothing to loose except for $9.15 The bottle said results are usally immidiate. the squeel stoped before I could get my hand off the ignition. I am sold on Lucas products."

jerbacher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hmmm.... I dunno. Unless it helps to keep the fluid at a constant viscosity in cold temps, I dont know how it would really help...