04 Liberty Whines Under Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BFisher

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty, 166k

It has developed a whine/noise that increases in pitch the faster i go. But it stops after a second when i remove foot from the gas pedal, and i'm still rolling along but no whine. It does this in 2WD and in 4WD.
Whine can mean lots of things, but it sounds as if something rubbing and the pitch gets higher as i accelerate. Stops when foot comes off gas.
It does not make the whine when i'm parked and reving the engine, only makes it under power.

i'm not mechanically inclined, but would love some suggestions before i take it to the shop, to be sure i get what it needs.

i've read a number of "jeep whines" postings here, but nothing that seems to be exactly what mine is doing.

apologies if this has been covered before, i'm new here...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site
Can you tell where the whine is coming from ?
I've had a few in the shop that was coming from the gears in the rear diff
wear, age, not changing diff fluids at regular intervals etc will allow the gears to wear more in a pattern and whine
Same as you described, when power is on, they whine, off they do not of course

BFisher

Reaction score
hi Mudd

it's hard to tell from inside the vehicle, but it seems to be below and left, but if i turn my head, it sounds like it's coming from the back...
checked transmission fluid and it's good, power steering fluid is good... i checked other things that i'm capable of based on other posts, but none of that seems to be the issue... i feel it's in the drive train somewhere, because i only hear it when there's torque on the system...

with that said, you mentioning gears wearing unevenly makes me wonder if it also is related to the other issue i have, not mentioned above - when i put my foot on the gas, there is a definite feel of a pull right, then back left when foot comes off the gas... please note, the steering wheel does not pull/shift - but you feel it happen in the seat of your pants...

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
On the gas and off with pulling is defiantly the rear lower control arms
That will cause that symptom every time
Just swapped out a set on a customers KJ couple of weeks back
It was so bad I only drove it about a mile round trip SCARY !!!
Had a pair in stock so quick fix

Latest posts

Members online