Another 'More than 2.5 in' q.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the Rusty's 2.5 spring lift. I wasn't too happy with the front being lower than the rear. I've seen other posts that claim that the liberty can't go higher but i want to understand why...some say because it's an IFS, but tacoma's are also IFS...and they can go higher...and i'm not convered with the increased rollover risks...Can i lib go higher if a jeep expert with the tools modifies parts and starts dropping differentials and other modding? I just haven't gotten a straight answer. I'll be happy if someone just tells me that it's impossible...it's really killing me.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I have the Rusty's 2.5 spring lift. I wasn't too happy with the front being lower than the rear. I've seen other posts that claim that the liberty can't go higher but i want to understand why...some say because it's an IFS, but tacoma's are also IFS...and they can go higher...and i'm not convered with the increased rollover risks...Can i lib go higher if a jeep expert with the tools modifies parts and starts dropping differentials and other modding? I just haven't gotten a straight answer. I'll be happy if someone just tells me that it's impossible...it's really killing me.
It's possible,how much money you willing to spend is the question.To go anything past 4" the right way and still be 100% functional is big $$$$ with the IFS,then it get's cheaper to do a SFA swap.The biggest thing is you are still limited with the D30A,a aluminum housing and can not go lower then 4.10 gears,any tire above a 32" size wull kill the diff and really suck the gas from being under powered so anything over a 4" lift is pointless on a KJ unless you do a SFA swap to gear correctly.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images

In the above pic the "spacer" between the UCA and knuckle is kinda scary looking to me,I wouldn't want to drive with that on:eek:.The 6" lift is just a spacer lift,a 2" added spacer on the 4" lift.

JBA's 4" lift is good to go know,tested out on a very hard trail and worked awesome.

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's possible,how much money you willing to spend is the question.To go anything past 4" the right way and still be 100% functional is big $$$$ with the IFS,then it get's cheaper to do a SFA swap.The biggest thing is you are still limited with the D30A,a aluminum housing and can not go lower then 4.10 gears,any tire above a 32" size wull kill the diff and really suck the gas from being under powered so anything over a 4" lift is pointless on a KJ unless you do a SFA swap to gear correctly.

X2
Gears are the biggest problem well tied for first with the alum. front diff
Toy's can regear to as low as 4.88 I think in the stock diff's maybe lower and their diff's can handle 33's easy and even be pushed with 35's

I would not bother with anything over a 245/75 16 for a KJ on stock diff's
if I feel the need to go bigger I would just go SFA
I would get a dana 30 from any coil sprung Jeep and keep the stock rear
Then I would lift it to handle 33's with room to spare
regear to 4.88 maybe 4.56 up grade the rear shafts and Detroits on both ends
could be done with a little less work if you find a "donor" Jeep with a 30/44 combo and pull the diffs then they ,the diffs would be ready for TJ suspension
I would then get a TJ long arm kit and not use those springs but get the ones that would work for a KJ
I would then build sub-frames for the front and rear mounting points

Let me say this
If I had the time and a shop with the right tools I think I could design a semi bolt on SFA kit for the KJ using TJ axles and suspension

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had the time and a shop with the right tools I think I could design a semi bolt on SFA kit for the KJ using TJ axles and suspension
To bad TJ axles are to weak:D! and you have to use coilovers in the front to use a TJ/XJ or any axle that is 62" or narrower,if keeping the rear 8.25 diff you'd need to cut all the mounts off and reweld TJ mounts on and then you still are limited to 4.56 gears(lowest for the 8.25) and 33" tires is the max you'd want to go with the lack of low end torque from the 3.7.

6-9 months and there will be a bolt on SFA kit(depending on what axles used axle mounts may/maynot need to be welded on) based off using mid-'70's HP44(full width from F150,67" wide) and the matching Ford 9"(65" wide) and able to run up to 35" tires(and be able to gear for them) with very mininal trimming,36"-37" tires with some cutting.Oh and going to stay at about 6"-7" of lift.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, i'm looking for a total of 4 in lift up front. Im not planning on doing ******** offroading or any trails...just some desert/dune hills and such...i dont need much flexing capabilities...is there any way i can modify parts or what exactly would i need to get this 4 in total up front? something like a custom lift that'll work. any ideas?

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so a kk clevis fork will give some additional height? has this been confirmed? alright so there's something to try...i'm currently riding on 265/70/17 and that's what i'm planning to keep...all i want it the front to be even, or a little higher than the rear....any other ideas? i really appreciate it, guys.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so a kk clevis fork will give some additional height? has this been confirmed? alright so there's something to try...i'm currently riding on 265/70/17 and that's what i'm planning to keep...all i want it the front to be even, or a little higher than the rear....any other ideas? i really appreciate it, guys.
The KK clevis is 1" longer then the KJ one,otherwise they are identical and will work on either Jeep.Adding the KK clevis will give you a extra 2" of lift.

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where can i find some? haha, that would actually be perfect. so now the question is, having the 2.5 in coil lift, modified a arms made by a really good friend of mine, and a clevis lift...is it possible to just add the kk clevis without adding additional parts? like i mentioned, not an extrme offroading vehicle...wife just wants it for looks.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So where can i find some? haha, that would actually be perfect. so now the question is, having the 2.5 in coil lift, modified a arms made by a really good friend of mine, and a clevis lift...is it possible to just add the kk clevis without adding additional parts? like i mentioned, not an extrme offroading vehicle...wife just wants it for looks.
A dealership for the parts,JBA's GEN4.5 arms are prefered for this app,and I'd start looking for JE Reel's HD cut CV shafts(can be ordered from JBA website also,about $900 for the set) to survive that much lift,the ones with the 3/8" shaved of the inner cups.

http://jeepinbyal.com/cat-Front_Drive_Axle_Components-21.aspx

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
right on....I've heard of those. Hey that's good info. Do you think I can go on without the 3/8 cv for now? thanks for the info. I kinda had other plans onways of going about it. But this really helped

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a set of the KK forks I am playing around with, I think with OME springs, no clevis, JBA Gen 5 arms not the 4.5s, it will work, I had one KK clevis on with my current set up and its too high, too much binding I would think so reworking and playing with different setups
current set up is OME Heavy Duty springs clevis and a top plate like Rustys sells, and a little other trick that seems to be working really good, I was within an inch of JBAs 4 inch before the last trick

MarkMatters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, so I think I'm actually gonna do this. Again, the plan is...2.5 coil lift, custom a arms smilar to jba. the kk clevis and the 265/70's. Think I should really go for this for the extra height? How much height do you guys think I'll be having total up front with this?

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
alright, so I think I'm actually gonna do this. Again, the plan is...2.5 coil lift, custom a arms smilar to jba. the kk clevis and the 265/70's. Think I should really go for this for the extra height? How much height do you guys think I'll be having total up front with this?
4.5"-5.5" depending on the front coils used,to much for the stock CV's to handle.